Znarok - should he go?

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Do you think Znarok will be capable of producing good results for team Russia, or not? So far, imo, his guidance of the national team has been too sporadic - he doesn't seem to have a proper plan for each game, and seems to neglect defence and strategy.

If he goes, what other coach do you see as an option?

Merry Christmas to all.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So far Znarok has done his job well, we will need to recheck that in autumn though.

Big question is if he can handle all the superstars to create a good chemistry at attack (Bill definitely failed there), this is something that still has to be tested.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
So far Znarok has done his job well, we will need to recheck that in autumn though.

Big question is if he can handle all the superstars to create a good chemistry at attack (Bill definitely failed there), this is something that still has to be tested.

The problem is that KHL coaches like Znarok don't have the leverage to command that everyone must fall into line. Most of the best players are from the NHL, and if Russia bans them from the national team, so what? What could he do, threaten to bench Malkin or Ovechkin or Datsyuk? So what, who cares? They can just go back to their $10 million a year day job.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
Boris Mikhailov should be World cup/Olympic coach, look at what he done at IIHF 2002 no Russian "superstars" there and almost gold. Bondra, Palffy, Satan, Stümpel almost whole 2002 SR Olympic team against.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
My issue with Znarok is that he's trying to make a Dynamo Moscow out of the russian NT. And his Dynamo always was a bunch of hardworking 1B players. This style will never work with all the superstars.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
My issue with Znarok is that he's trying to make a Dynamo Moscow out of the russian NT. And his Dynamo always was a bunch of hardworking 1B players. This style will never work with all the superstars.

And it will not work on international stage like the Olympics or World Cup. Only on the WC you can sometimes have sucess with that strategy.

Bykov can handle the superstars, yes, there was Vancouver 2010, but he developed as a coach since then and a second chance would be a good idea. But not with Tretyak and the current FHR.:cry:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
And it will not work on international stage like the Olympics or World Cup. Only on the WC you can sometimes have sucess with that strategy.

Bykov can handle the superstars, yes, there was Vancouver 2010, but he developed as a coach since then and a second chance would be a good idea. But not with Tretyak and the current FHR.:cry:

I do not argue about religions. Go tell stories about how he "developed" to the Holy BiZ Church. I see no evidence for that.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
If not Znarok, then there are only two more or less valid candidates at the moment - Kvartalnov and Bragin, so I rather would keep Znarok until 2018 (unless he totally fails this spring and autumn, of course).

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I think you guys are a bit harsh on him.

There is only so much a coach can do when he has no defense.

Defence = strategy, he has to explain this strategy to his players, imo. It's not like the Russian players are complete 'brevno' - we've all seen how teams not as skilled as Russia manage to neutralize our offence - that's because they have a defensive strategy. Znarok doesn't seem to have this.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
I would really like to see Generalisimus Bragin at senior he is only one who knows how does modern hockey look like even at senior level.

And surely Malkin, Radulov, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin would have a really rough times there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad