Zigmund "Ziggy" Palffy: Dead Puck Era's Most Underrated Player?

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Palffy was a very dynamic player who didn't need decent line-mates to put up high point totals. The reason he slips under the radar is pretty simple; he played on the Fishstick-era Islanders and way out on the West Coast with the Kings, and his teams usually were atrocious. Travis Green was a 35 point player in the NHL, but in the two seasons he played on Palffy's wing, he scored 70 and 64 points.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Palffy was a very dynamic player who didn't need decent line-mates to put up high point totals. The reason he slips under the radar is pretty simple; he played on the Fishstick-era Islanders and way out on the West Coast with the Kings, and his teams usually were atrocious. Travis Green was a 35 point player in the NHL, but in the two seasons he played on Palffy's wing, he scored 70 and 64 points.

^^ correct.

This season is strikening also.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000402003.html

Twice as many points as the next guy and +22.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
4th in PPG in dead puck era. 2nd in GPG only behind Jagr. 7th in points and goals totals. +85 in his time in LA, leading the team by far (2nd is linemate Stumpel at +47, then Norstrom and Murray at +27...).

So yes, very underrated.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Dude was absolutely dominating in 03-04 prior to his injury. He was 2nd in PPG behind only Forsberg but had more points. He was also playing with scrubs as Allison/Deadmarsh were injured and was pacing an undermanned Kings team to a playoff position. His 2-way game was awesome that year, too. :nod:

Moreover, he was a notorious slow starter who almost always had better finishes to his seasons than beginnings. If he had stayed healthy and kept LA in the playoffs, he would have been deserving of Hart Trophy and his legacy now may have been much greater. But - alas - he suffered a season ending injury and never managed to reach those levels again. Consequently, his reputation will never be truly reflective of his talent. However, those who saw him a lot know how dynamic he truly was. One of the greats of the DPE. :yo:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't know how "under-rated" he was, or by whom. When he signed his $25M/5 year contract ($7M option for the 6th year) in 1998, that was pretty good money, and suggests people out there knew what he was worth. Going to LA (post Gretzky, mind you), and missing a big chunk of a season due to shoulder surgery probably slipped him under the radar a bit, and leaving the NHL "early" means many still around here might not have had cause to give him a second thought since.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The problem with Palffy is that he was so injury prone, he was never really able to put together any elite seasons.

The second problem is obviously that he played on garbage teams his whole career, so he wasn't as noticed when he actually was out there.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He didn't play in a playoff game until he was 28 years old. I hate to use the word "compiler" when describing him because he had some talent but he was never sought after as a trade deadline pickup. The Red Wings, the Avs or anyone for that matter never made a push to pick him up, even the once spend-happy Leafs never bothered with him. This tells me that Palffy's value wasn't coveted by anyone. Players like Shanahan, Goring, Francis, Bourque etc. were always the "missing" pieces. Not Palffy. I always felt that much like today's version of Marc Savard that Palffy was a guy who gave you exactly what the stat sheets told you. He never hit, he didn't fight, he wasn't physical or great defensively. He was never an all-star at RW. Not sure if I would ever call him underrated because he was what he was.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He didn't play in a playoff game until he was 28 years old. I hate to use the word "compiler" when describing him because he had some talent but he was never sought after as a trade deadline pickup. The Red Wings, the Avs or anyone for that matter never made a push to pick him up, even the once spend-happy Leafs never bothered with him. This tells me that Palffy's value wasn't coveted by anyone. Players like Shanahan, Goring, Francis, Bourque etc. were always the "missing" pieces. Not Palffy. I always felt that much like today's version of Marc Savard that Palffy was a guy who gave you exactly what the stat sheets told you. He never hit, he didn't fight, he wasn't physical or great defensively. He was never an all-star at RW. Not sure if I would ever call him underrated because he was what he was.
He was never a deadline pickup because:

1: Any team had to give up major pieces to get him and he would still be unproven (as Islander).
2: He was in the playoffs already (as King)
3: He was injured before the trading deadline/playoffs (as King)
4: He had a relativy short career.

I think your theory is a bit off base.

There was just one moment he might have been available for other teams as addition for the playoffs. At the end of the 2002-2003 season and that's it. And I doubt he would have been available at all with Deadmarsh and Allison on injured reserve already. The Kings had to sell season tickets also, you know.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita

First of all, he was never a player that the Kings were going to be trading at the deadline. He was the main reason the Kings made the playoffs during his time here. Second, he lead the Kings in +/- seems like every season, and was one of our better forwards defensively. And how are you saying he wasn't an all-star?

Played in the 1996 NHL All-Star game
Played in the 1998 NHL All-Star game
Played in the 2001 NHL All-Star game
Played in the 2002 NHL All-Star Game

It's obvious you watched little of Palffy. I got to see him every game, and trust me, he was a game changer.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
First of all, he was never a player that the Kings were going to be trading at the deadline. He was the main reason the Kings made the playoffs during his time here. Second, he lead the Kings in +/- seems like every season, and was one of our better forwards defensively. And how are you saying he wasn't an all-star?

Didnt he mean that he didnt make the all-star team as RW, isnt that something different than being in the all star game at all ? Just asking.

Palffy was absolutely a game changer and good defensively also.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Didnt he mean that he didnt make the all-star team as RW, isnt that something different than being in the all star game at all ? Just asking.

He was never an all-star at RW.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't understand the RW part though. Who cares! He made the all-star team and thats all that matters

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I think Big Phil is referring to the post-season All Star teams, not the ones selected for the All Star game.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

Yes, he did mean Palffy was never on an end of the year 1st or 2nd All-Star team. At the end of each year the writers vote on the best players at each position during the regular season. The top LW, C, RW, G and top two D make up the 1st team and the runner-ups make up the 2nd team. These are like awards given out at the end of the season for best at each position. If Palffy was never an end of the year all-star, it means he was never considered one of the top 2 players at his position (although he did have some pretty tough competition with Jagr, Selanne, and Bure).

Being selected for an actual All-Star game is thought of as relatively meaningless around here.

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
The Kings would have been foolish to trade Palffy. They were usually in the playoffs or the playoff hunt, and he more often than not was a main reason they were there. Palffy was one of those players you want to keep a hold of, which is why Detroit or Toronto never made a push for him. They knew that LA wouldn't trade him, or if they were willing to trade the price would be more than they'd be willing to give. When he was healthy he was absolutely fun to watch (and I saw him light up my team more often than not.) He was, however, a bit fragile, which was a knock on him.

Underrated? Maybe a bit, but I think him playing in LA meant a lot of people back east didn't see him play much. This is probably why he seems so under the radar looking back.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I think it is unfair to call Savard a point compiler. Savard isn't terrible defensively, and definitely isn't physical, but when the games matter he does play with passion. He is also multi-talented offensively in that when the passing lanes are cut off, he has the ability to score goals as well. The main thing is that he is able to get points and help his team even when the going gets rough...

Palffy's injury troubles are well-known...when he was on the Islanders, I had always thought very highly of him. Sure, he was a bit of a point-compiler who never carried his team anywhere, but those teams were very bad, and he was a fairly young player. However, he was a very lethal player on the Kings...he had the occasional physical edge to his game and had the ability to speed up in a tight space; he and Stumpel were dynamite together...

My fuzzy memory doesn't consider Palffy that underrated, but he did have exceptional stats, and it isn't like he is Pierre Turgeon...

yos

Feb 18, 2006
slovakia
when comparing best slovak players in terms of talent only Gaborik can match him in offensive department and its hard to be physical when your size is quite little (also every player should use his best weapon, in case of Palffy it was hockey sense and soft hands not toughness)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

It's obvious you watched little of Palffy. I got to see him every game, and trust me, he was a game changer.

I was using his Islanders career as more of an example of NOT being on the radar for trade deadline deals. Once he was a King there wasn't much of a point in him being traded since they would make the playoffs for the most part.

I'm sure you saw some other posts describing what an all-star really is. Playing in the all-star game is not highly regarded. Keith Primeau did it in a 7 goal season. Peter Buzek did it. Rory Fitzpatrick almost did it. Palffy was never considered 1st or 2nd best at his position ever. Plus I would have loved to see what he could have done on the Pens had he stayed there.

Okay I've picked on Palffy a little bit here, but it isn't all bad. This is where he ranked in the top 10 finishes in scoring throughout his career: 6,8,9,10

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
when comparing best slovak players in terms of talent only Gaborik can match him in offensive department and its hard to be physical when your size is quite little (also every player should use his best weapon, in case of Palffy it was hockey sense and soft hands not toughness)

What about Stastny, Hossa and Demitra?

Palffy was a great player, but a combination of injuries, the dead puck era, a late start and an early finish, and playing at the same time as RW's Jagr, Selanne, and Bure all contribute to him being almost forgotten. From his first full season to his last season, he was a PPG player virtually every year, no small feat in one of the lowest scoring eras in history.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
you could say ziggy was like pat lafontaine: a dynamic offensive talent who flew a little under the radar for most of his career because he played at the same time as all-time greats at his position, and then became a little overrated after retiring almost in their primes early due to injuries, finishing with inflated PPG numbers in a shortened career. and both were little guys who wore #16 on the isles.

lafontaine lasted slightly longer and he did have that one great year that palffy never did where he blew almost everyone else away in scoring. that aside, while i loved the guy, lafontaine was a pretty iffy call for the HHOF. but he was american and had his big years when the offense was plentiful. meanwhile, palffy was born in a country that no longer exists and played during the dead puck era, so he only gets overrated by the stats counters at hfboards.

adjusted stats aren't perfect, but i bet if you looked at lafontaine's and palffy's side-by-side, they'd be pretty close.

ziggy was a very good player, although a bit of a guy who was better on a bad team. i loved watching him play in LA and would have thrown him a #3-5 hart vote for what he did in '01 and '03.

RECsGuy*

Looking bada55 in this Kings throwback...

1480289.jpg

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Bigphil, you're a really good poster, but it seems like you haven't watched much of Palffy.
He was my second favorite player from his rookie year on and I can say he was never a 'stat compiler'.
There was nothing that was going to make those Islander teams competitive. However, he made them exceedingly watchable.
I also recall watching the Kings in the playoffs in the early 2000's and Palffy always played really hard and really desperately.
He was a hell of a player and is really underrated around here.

Infinite Vision*

Palffy is one of the most underrated players, period. This guy was a serious hockey talent, I remember being shocked when he retired in 05-06 right after Lemieux, he had 42 points in 42 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->