Ziggy Palffy

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
He spent his best years as a relatively big fish in the small pond. Just when it looked as though he would get his chance to play with competent linemates, things fell apart. With the Pens, he had like 28 points in 28 games if I remember correctly.

I would rather have him in than Bondra, that's for sure, but I can't see it. I remember that from 96 till 98, Kariya was considered as a serious Art / Hart candidate. Ziggy was more in the sphere of guys like Sundin. Sund-as-in, but Mats had the longetivity whereas Palffy had injuries.

Hossa is more likely to be the next Slovak who sees the inside of the Hall.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Hossa is more likely to be the next Slovak who sees the inside of the Hall.

If they put him in at first opportunity in three years (they did Pronger, despite still having a contract), otherwise it will probably be Chara (or they go in together, which would be quite nice).

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
If they put him in at first opportunity in three years (they did Pronger, despite still having a contract), otherwise it will probably be Chara (or they go in together, which would be quite nice).

True that, I completely forgot about Zdeno.

Btw, I checked Ziggy's stats. That 02/03 season was crazy. It almost makes me think he should have gotten the Hart. I know, I know, but by the very definition of the trophy, how do you not give it to a guy who towered the rest of his team by such a margin?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Was a solid player, did quite good offensively despite being on some poor Kings teams during that era and it being the dead puck era.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Isn't this the type of player whose case can help establish a consensus on the view that circumstantial factors (like team/market, linemates, nationality, style, etc) greatly influence how a player is looked back upon in the hockey world (at least), probably more so than actual play (analyzed objectively)? My understanding, from posters who have witnessed the dead puck era, is that many players from that era, who are overall lesser players than Palffy, are now in the HOF or the NHL top 100 from this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->