Confirmed with Link: Ziggy Palffy Retires From Pro Hockey

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
If we have an old timers game at Dodger Stadium it would be fun to reunite the LAPD line, but I doubt it will happen.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
http://m.nbcsports.com/content/ziggy-palffy-calls-it-career

We gotta find him some place in the organization before the Islanders do...and he better not be in the Pens org. He was still playing so he hasn't been around for any of the Kings' big days the last couple of years and he's the most popular during his time period.

He spent the last few years playing at home in Europe. You think he wants to fly back overseas for a bench/desk job?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
He spent the last few years playing at home in Europe. You think he wants to fly back overseas for a bench/desk job?

You realize that the Kings have people working for them based all over the hockey world right? ...that includes scouting in eastern Europe. He literally could move around very little, get a small token paycheck for just watching local games and assisting on reports, and on special occasions like opening night come maybe with his family to LA as guests?

We draft eastern European players sometime and the Hlinka U-18 tournament is right near his home town I believe. I doubt he wants a full time job but this would be a nice way to let the fans in LA see him again. I wasn't old enough to have the money or travel to see the Kings at that time and I would love to meet him and get some cards autographed...although I already have official Upper Deck SP Authentic autographs of the Palffy, Stumpel, Robitaille line. Meeting him in person and getting some 91-92 Upper Deck cards of his signed.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Part of the reason he is retiring is he does not want to travel anymore, he will not be headed to USA for a job with the Kings that's for sure.

I believe he is also part owner of his hometown Skalica team.

You realize that the Kings have people working for them based all over the hockey world right? ...that includes scouting in eastern Europe. He literally could move around very little, get a small token paycheck for just watching local games and assisting on reports, and on special occasions like opening night come maybe with his family to LA as guests?

We draft eastern European players sometime and the Hlinka U-18 tournament is right near his home town I believe. I doubt he wants a full time job but this would be a nice way to let the fans in LA see him again. I wasn't old enough to have the money or travel to see the Kings at that time and I would love to meet him and get some cards autographed...although I already have official Upper Deck SP Authentic autographs of the Palffy, Stumpel, Robitaille line. Meeting him in person and getting some 91-92 Upper Deck cards of his signed.

I imagine that Luc and some of the staff still talk to him. Honestly don't know if he would ever be on the paycheck, but I could imagine that Luc and stuff will talk to him regularly about the goings on and any prospects/players that might be interesting from Slovakia.

It is a sad day.

Ziggy Palffy is reason #1 I became a Kings fan. Loved that guy. Best hands in the NHL for the time he was here.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Insane to see the type of numbers he was producing at such an age. But then again, he was always one of the best hockey players that nobody gave much credit to due to the average to below average teams that he played on. He was one of the best scorers throughout the late 90s and 00s.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I imagine that Luc and some of the staff still talk to him. Honestly don't know if he would ever be on the paycheck, but I could imagine that Luc and stuff will talk to him regularly about the goings on and any prospects/players that might be interesting from Slovakia.

It is a sad day.

Ziggy Palffy is reason #1 I became a Kings fan. Loved that guy. Best hands in the NHL for the time he was here.

I think so too but if he's willing to travel maybe once a year or two, where as before he would only travel with his team, maybe it has a silver lining for the Kings fans.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
If we have an old timers game at Dodger Stadium it would be fun to reunite the LAPD line, but I doubt it will happen.

Would be cool.. BUt with Allison's reputation and Deadmarsh's head and Ziggy's location, don't think we'll ever see that trio play again.

But that 2003 season!! MVP season for sure.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He was my favorite player for some time. Glad he got to go out on his own terms despite all the injuries over the years. Would love to see him in an alumni game in the future.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
http://m.nbcsports.com/content/ziggy-palffy-calls-it-career

We gotta find him some place in the organization before the Islanders do...and he better not be in the Pens org. He was still playing so he hasn't been around for any of the Kings' big days the last couple of years and he's the most popular during his time period.

The news is out....Sean O'Donnell is coming back to the Kings Org. Yeeeeeee Haaawwww, I've been waiting for this ever since he left.
I'm happier to see O.D. than Ziggy coming back.
Check out Kings Insider for his return position.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The news is out....Sean O'Donnell is coming back to the Kings Org. Yeeeeeee Haaawwww, I've been waiting for this ever since he left.
I'm happier to see O.D. than Ziggy coming back.
Check out Kings Insider for his return position.

I hope he's a defenseman coach...how to protect your goaltender 101.

Randart

May 20, 2007
Carson, CA
Loved Ziggy...

Was inspiring to watch a player of skill nite in and nite out... We have been blessed with some of the greats here in La La Land... Gretz, Luuuuc & Ziggy, some of the most exciting guys to lace them up in their own ways. I loved Ziggy's guts too fearless player for his size he took a beating and some really cheap shots especially from the Dirty Ducks of that time period! grrrr

All the best to you Zigmund, and your family you will always be appreciated here!

:handclap:

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
I will never forget this goal; it took Giguere like five minutes to realize the puck had gone past him into the net. I've never seen a slapshot come off a stick so laser straight or fast.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
what's this now?

It was pretty well known while he was playing that while Ziggy wasn't considered a bad guy, he wasn't a team leader and he wasn't buddies with anyone on that team. He wasn't a culture guy as Deano likes to put it. He certainly wouldn't have fit in with THIS Kings team.

Great offensive talent...Loved watching him play...no disrespect to him as a hockey player. Just not a huge team guy.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
I believe Ziggy is the last PPG player for the Kings?

Highest PPG avg of any RW in Kings history with at least 270 games.

Also of note, Ziggy was a +85 as a King.

In contrast, Jari Kurri who was always thought of as a great 2-way RWer was a -58 for the Kings.

Also, Palffy is 2nd all-time in PP and SH goals by a Kings RW

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->