Speculation: Zidlicky

Actual Thought*

Isn't him *not* being a long-term solution sort of a good thing? We have XO who's absolutely ready to go. We have Jensen, Marchenko, Backman, and maybe Sproul ready to go within a couple years.

We really don't want to clutter our roster with too many people when we have good talent coming in. You're probably not going to be able to swing a trade for a real legit, young, top4 RHD without giving up something significant. Maybe better to just trade for this, sign him for another year or two MAYBE, and see where our kids end up on the back end. Maybe they surprise us as much as the kids have on forward.

I agree. If anything they will probably pick up a stop gap rental for cheap.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
No. Kindl barely belongs in the NHL,Zidlicky puts up Kronwall numbers. Yes he's old but you think we can get a rental PLUS a second using Jakub freakin kindl?

Devils fans is pimping him out for a draft pick. Guess they want to blow it up

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think the fans, coaches, and management will continue to use the "no right-handed shot" as an excuse when the team isn't playing well. The power play has shown to do fine without it. In fact, I'd say having no right-handed shot is near the bottom of the Wings' current problems that need to be addressed.

I don't see the point in acquiring a player solely because of his shooting style at this point. It's not going to stop the turnovers from happening, or players making lazy clearing attempts, or players getting burned by bad line changes. There's a lot I'd like to see addressed before any talk of adding a right-handed defender begins.

Aug 6, 2012
If you're going to trade for a RH defenseman then go for someone like Mike Green. Zidlicky isn't going to make us a contender, so I see absolutely no point in trading for a guy like him. I think KH has waited long enough sitting on his hands and needs to make some impact moves. In the near future we're gonna have a huge logjam at the wing and defense position with all these young guys coming up. This year is the year I'd like to see KH trade some of those kids for more elite talent - not another Legwand or someone like Zidlicky.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If you're going to trade for a RH defenseman then go for someone like Mike Green. Zidlicky isn't going to make us a contender, so I see absolutely no point in trading for a guy like him. I think KH has waited long enough sitting on his hands and needs to make some impact moves. In the near future we're gonna have a huge logjam at the wing and defense position with all these young guys coming up. This year is the year I'd like to see KH trade some of those kids for more elite talent - not another Legwand or someone like Zidlicky.

tbh I think Zid is better than Green atleast when you factor in playing games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Green
13-14 and 14-15: 50 pts in 89 games, .54 ppg

Zidlicky
13-14 and 14-15: 64 pts in 106 games, .60 ppg

Zidlicky isn't Legwand. Not even close. Apparently folks don't know much about him and what he does.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I think one more year will give us a better use of what we have in sproul, Backmen, Marchenko, jensen

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If Holland could pull in an elite, young talent for a few of the kids, I'd be all for it. And I wouldn't be up for dealing them for Zidlicky (or pretty much anyone knocking on UFA's door, either). Still, Zidlicky at the right price wouldn't be a bad thing. We clearly should't be all in for a guy like Zidlicky, but I don't think we should categorically exclude them, either.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
While Green has more O talent, guess what, he's hurt again and costs a ton more. If it is just for this year maybe Green, but I doubt Green would sign for a year or 2. Zidlicky might sign for just next year IMO

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Would love Zidlicky. Sure he's old, but he's still productive and feisty. Can pass and has decent shot selection beyond a point shot. Also a righty and isn't lost in his own zone.

Detroit could even put him on the bottom pairing and let him feast on the lesser lines or even possibly roll 3 relatively even pairings on defense.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Would love Zidlicky. Sure he's old, but he's still productive and feisty. Can pass and has decent shot selection beyond a point shot. Also a righty and isn't lost in his own zone.

Detroit could even put him on the bottom pairing and let him feast on the lesser lines or even possibly roll 3 relatively even pairings on defense.

Yup and point wise he's up there with Kronwall, But so is Cody Franson as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Funny coincidence, just saw this article today. Might put this more in perspective.

http://www.tsn.ca/yost-buyer-beware-when-it-comes-to-veteran-defencemen-1.151684

I'm a bit surprised where Kronwall fits on the spectrum.

For Kindl and a bit more (lowish pick) I would be in on this. But, didn't he have some "issues" in Minnesota which led to him being traded to the Devils a while back?

top pairing has had struggles this year for sure. early on kronwall was playing well but ericsson dragged him down. now ericsson has been little better but kronwall's play has dropped.

and yeah, i recall some issues with zidlicky. wild fans didn't like him. don't remember everything and can't search now but zidlicky wanted out and i think he was scratched.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I think one more year will give us a better use of what we have in sproul, Backmen, Marchenko, jensen
But do these prospects have another year left? I thought all of them (including Ouellet) won't be waiver-exempt next season. As former CHL defenseman of the year, Sproul most certainly will be claimed.

Gruß,
BSHH

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
But do these prospects have another year left? I thought all of them (including Ouellet) won't be waiver-exempt next season. As former CHL defenseman of the year, Sproul most certainly will be claimed.

Gruß,
BSHH

all have another year left. it's 16-17 season when they won't be waiver exempt.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
top pairing has had struggles this year for sure. early on kronwall was playing well but ericsson dragged him down. now ericsson has been little better but kronwall's play has dropped.

and yeah, i recall some issues with zidlicky. wild fans didn't like him. don't remember everything and can't search now but zidlicky wanted out and i think he was scratched.

He didnt get along with Yeo about his role on the team and made some statements officially about it and demanded to get traded.

"He doesn't like what I'm doing," Zidlicky said. "If I'm an offensive player, I'm supposed to play with the top guys. He should show me, 'You are that guy, and you will be out there the last minute when we need to score.' There was a lot of times when I just laid on the bench and just wait for my chance. We had a couple meetings about that after 10, 15 games in the season, and I can't change my style. That's what I know. That's for sure. He wants to play easy hockey. I tried everything what he wants, but apparently it doesn't work."
Zidlicky, who turns 35 Friday, said of Yeo's system: "It wasn't me. It wasn't my style. I tried to explain it to him couple times, but he wants something different. I don't think I can change something when you are like 34 years old."

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He didnt get along with Yeo about his role on the team and made some statements officially about it and demanded to get traded.

That just makes me worried because there's no way Babcock puts up with that kind of ****. You play his way or you don't play.

Surprises me too. Although, it is just for this year. I feel it's pretty undeniable that Kronwall makes the team better, despite what these stats say.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
That just makes me worried because there's no way Babcock puts up with that kind of ****. You play his way or you don't play.

Surprises me too. Although, it is just for this year. I feel it's pretty undeniable that Kronwall makes the team better, despite what these stats say.

Well I think playing possession hockey suits his style more than the "Yeo"-style which is suffocating for any offensive player. He posted great numbers and was a good defenseman for Minnesota until they hired Yeo. We'll see, doubtful Holland makes a trade anyways.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

What kind of ****? These cherry-picked quotes make it sound like Zidlicky is some offense-only floater when it comes to his own zone when in reality he's probably a bit better than Rafalski was when it comes to the defensive zone. Certainly more willing and able to box out a body. But he definitely loves to score and he will fight to do it. I highly doubt he would struggle under Babcock considering his compete level. He made a name for his himself playing under Barry Trotz for christ's sake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad