Zibanejad vs Silfverberg

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Zib is a better player.

Silf is and has always been a passenger player. Take Kesler off that line and see what he does.

I do think Zib will fail to live up to the #1 C expectations. I think he'll settle in as a #2 when it's all said and done. Guy needs to up his conditioning and he'd be such a force.

Xamar*

If I had a dollar for every should be do you know how rich I would be ? :(

8112217.jpg

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Zib is a better player.

Silf is and has always been a passenger player. Take Kesler off that line and see what he does.

I do think Zib will fail to live up to the #1 C expectations. I think he'll settle in as a #2 when it's all said and done. Guy needs to up his conditioning and he'd be such a force.

Zib hasn't been anything special until he played with 27 goals Hoffman and 7M dollar Ryan. In fact he had a very bad start to the season. Of course, if you put him on a 3rd line with lesser players he won't be as good but the thing with good players is you have to give them the tools to succeed. This season Zibanejad had 46 points playing with Ryan and Hoffman while Silfverberg had 39 playing with Rakell and Cogliano/Thompson. It makes me laugh when people say things like ''Take Kesler off that line and see what he does.'', yet Zibanejad is playing with Hoffman and Ryan. Take those two off his line and see what he does?

Finally Silfverberg gets a chance on the top two lines (with plyers comparable to Hoffman ad Ryan) and he does well and he's now a product of some other player but Zibanejad isn't a product of Ryan/Hoffman then? Again, Silfverberg put up 7 points less than Zibanejad while playing 2Min of PK per game and no PP time. In the mean time, he's had about the same amount of SOG than a guy like Ryan. They just put Silf with higher caliber players and he dominated.

Xamar*

Zib hasn't been anything special until he played with 27 goals Hoffman and 7M dollar Ryan. In fact he had a very bad start to the season. Of course, if you put him on a 3rd line with lesser players he won't be as good but the thing with good players is you have to give them the tools to succeed. This season Zibanejad had 46 points playing with Ryan and Hoffman while Silfverberg had 39 playing with Rakell and Cogliano/Thompson. It makes me laugh when people say things like ''Take Kesler off that line and see what he does.'', yet Zibanejad is playing with Hoffman and Ryan. Take those two off his line and see what he does?

Finally Silfverberg gets a chance on the top two lines (with plyers comparable to Hoffman ad Ryan) and he does well and he's now a product of some other player but Zibanejad isn't a product of Ryan/Hoffman then? Again, Silfverberg put up 7 points less than Zibanejad while playing 2Min of PK per game and no PP time. In the mean time, he's had about the same amount of SOG than a guy like Ryan. They just put Silf with higher caliber players and he dominated.

Error 101. Too many facts in one post. I do agree that Silf is better now but Zbad will be equally good if not better with more experience. For now tho Silf is definitely better but he is also older as well ..

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Silf's most common linemate is Cogliano second was Kesler. I believe he was the 4th most used forward on Anaheim and he scored the 4th most points among Anaheim forwards

From the looks of it Silf was better when not paired with kesler offensively but together they were a great shut down line

Silf scored 29 ES points this season

He scored 20 of those points with cogliano on the ice
He scored 10 with Kesler on the ice

zibby was the 5th most used forward on ottawa and was 5th in points for forwards

Zibby scored 27 points ES double the amount of goals of Silf ES
24 of zibby's 27 points were scored with ryan on the ice

One thing to consider is Zibby had 100 shots ES
Silf had 153

Zibby gets a ton worse when not paired with ryan but overall both seem to play best when paired together

Silf did play pp but was inconsistent. Overall he averaged 30 sec a game. We can look at a game he played versus detroit where he had 4 mins on the pp though. Saying he wasnt on the pp at all is kinda disingenuous

In Silf's 4 highest pp games all over 2min silf did not score a pp point. Not sure if that means anything though. He had 9 secs of pp time against NJ and scored a point

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Silf's most common linemate is Cogliano second was Kesler. I believe he was the 4th most used forward on Anaheim and he scored the 4th most points among Anaheim forwards

From the looks of it Silf was better when not paired with kesler offensively but together they were a great shut down line

zibby was the 5th most used forward on ottawa and was 5th in points for forwards

Silf had 153

Zibby gets a ton worse when not paired with ryan but overall both seem to play best when paired together

Silf did play pp but was inconsistent. Overall he averaged 30 sec a game. We can look at a game he played versus detroit where he had 4 mins on the pp though. Saying he wasnt on the pp at all is kinda disingenuous

In Silf's 4 highest pp games all over 2min silf did not score a pp point. Not sure if that means anything though. He had 9 secs of pp time against NJ and scored a point

Error! Error! Actual facts detected!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Silf had 153

That is great in fact it shows that the two players are in fact comparable at this point. The other standout point is that Zibanejad is good when playing with Ryan. Silf actually had more ES points than Zibanejad also.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
That is great in fact it shows that the two players are in fact comparable at this point. The other standout point is that Zibanejad is good when playing with Ryan. Silf actually had more ES points than Zibanejad also.

I agree at this point

Silf>=Zibby

Silf is 2-3 years older though

I was one of the people that would of traded Zibby before Silf. To me Silf's upside is Varbata. Still think he can score 30 goals. I said that to Anaheim fans when we traded him.

I dont think Silf or Zibby would of really made a difference in terms of what we gets from the players aside from Zibby playing a more important and harder to find position. People should be pissed that it seems like Murray did not want to trade Cowen over Silf though but its kinda understandable considering we had a lot of forward prospects

Its not a for sure Cowen could of been trade ahead of silf but we do know they wanted two of Cowen, Silf and Zibby+2nd and murray talked them down to one+1st+noeson

Cowen+1st+noeson looks better then what we gave up
Cowen+Silf+2nd even looks better

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Let's not forget Zibanejad is a C while Silfv is a winger.

Let's not forget Silfv playing behind Getzlaf/Perry with an excellent veteran number 2 C in Kesler while Zibanejad was rotating between number 1 C and number 2 C for most of the season.

One guy was on a powerhouse playing with perfect linemates to maximize his ability and the other was in the front line on a young team going on a historic run while he was one of the biggest factors on O.

Without Zib's first 10 or so games he's on a 55 point pace. That's tremendous considering he was only 21, has a physical dimension and is good defensively.

I am enormous SIlfv fan, yall knew and know this. I think he can be one of the best 2 way wingers in the game(but not as offensively high) but I think Zib can be a top 10 C in the game too. Yea, high praise.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

While I agree with many of your points, lets also consider relative positions and teams as a whole.

Would you want to play in front of Anaheim's defense or Ottawa's? How about the insulation you get from Anaheim's top line?

For the record, I don't think Zib is a star player or at this point even an above average player. I just don't think Silf is much more than a wicked shot. He still stands out to me as the kind of guy I don't want on my team in the playoffs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's kinda hard to compare Sif & Zib because they play two different positions. The centre position has a lot more responsibility which I'm sure will take much longer to learn & to excel in. Which is why they start most young guys on the wind instead of at centre. I think they both have the potential to be very good NHL players but they also have flaws in their game they need to improve & most likely will. Hard to say who will be better but you can't argue with what Sif did in the SEL where he won everything there was to win. Once he figures out the NHL he could excel here as well.

I'm not sure if Zibanejad will ever be a #1 centre in Ottawa, Turris is clearly better & is still quite young. Zibanejad is younger & will have more time to usurp him but it could take a while since Turris is entering his prime. I would be interested in seeing BM make a deal for ROR to centre a #1 line & push Zibanejad down to a 3rd line to create another good scoring line. A top 6 scoring forward would make this team much harder to play against but so would some tougher skilled players.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Zibby wasn't allowed to do much cardio over the summer, so he wasn't in the proper shape for the first couple months of the season. Have to factor that in, as well.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I remember reading how some people were a little disappointed we kept Zibanejad and dealt Silfverberg away for the Ryan deal.

Seeing as this season is nearly done.. do you still feel that way?

Would this team be better with Silfverberg over Z-bad?

Who do you consider to be the better player? (If you've got a chance to consistently watch both guys play this season)

Interested to see what you guys and girls think..

I don't think the concern is Silf vs ZJ - I think the issue is Ryan versus what may have been. I've always felt that breaking up the ZJ/Silf chemistry was too costly versus bringing in Bobby Ryan. I would have rather seen Silf play alongside ZJ this season and I bet it would have given much better returns than Ryan, but unfortunately we'll never know.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't think the concern is Silf vs ZJ - I think the issue is Ryan versus what may have been. I've always felt that breaking up the ZJ/Silf chemistry was too costly versus bringing in Bobby Ryan. I would have rather seen Silf play alongside ZJ this season and I bet it would have given much better returns than Ryan, but unfortunately we'll never know.

Agreed. Silfv and Zib were beautiful together. Mainly the biggest reason I'm disappointed we got rid of Silfv but Ryan has looked just as gorgeous when he was clicking.

If Ryan starts scoring 30-30+ again then the trade will look perfect.

Ttracer*

Zibanejad is pretty invisible most times, needs plays 2 come to him. Mika can go away it won't affect the team, unless he starts using his weight and starts playing smart hockey

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Zibanejad can go invisible offensively sometimes but he rarely costs the team while still taking on pretty big minutes responsibility. What more can you ask from your young guy when he isn't scoring? I mean slong as he gets 55+ points then he's done his job and if he isn't scoring but still laying the body and not costing the team defensively then he's done excellent job, imo.

Think about it, when's last time you've sad, damn Mika, that goals on you.

It's why I aint as critical on Ryan's poor offensive season this year, he was still very good defensively and didnt cost the team when he was on the ice, that's the best case scenario you can expect from your top players when they aren't scoring.

If Zibanejad does "go away" then believe me, you'll notice his loss more than you're noticing his inconsistent offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad