Proposal: Zibanejad to the Avs

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
“I suspect will be necessary”; they’re already showing things. Things that we can start drawing conclusions from. They still have time to change those conclusions before a trade would happen, but that doesn’t mean we should ignore what we’re seeing.

Like Jost; he has already shown that his skating is insufficient to make an impact at Center in the NHL. He looks really appealing as a winger, but we can be pretty confident in predicting that he won’t solve our C issue. This isn’t an arbitrary standard, it’s the reality of what his time at C showed.

I'm not suggesting we should ignore what we're seeing, I'm saying we should try to confirm if what we think we're seeing is actually true before we start assuming our conclusions are correct. And, I think that's going to take more than just the remainder of this season to do it properly.

And, Jost is still only 20 years old, and hasn't even played 100 NHL games yet. He is in no way a finished product, so claiming that we can be "pretty confident" about what he's going to do in the future based on what he's showing today just isn't realistic. The only thing his time at C showed is that he's not good enough right now, it doesn't show anything definitive about what Jost will be with another 18 months of development under his belt.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not suggesting we should ignore what we're seeing, I'm saying we should try to confirm if what we think we're seeing is actually true before we start assuming our conclusions are correct. And, I think that's going to take more than just the remainder of this season to do it properly.

And, Jost is still only 20 years old, and hasn't even played 100 NHL games yet. He is in no way a finished product, so claiming that we can be "pretty confident" about what he's going to do in the future based on what he's showing today just isn't realistic. The only thing his time at C showed is that he's not good enough right now, it doesn't show anything definitive about what Jost will be with another 18 months of development under his belt.

A) We do though. He’s not going to grow big enough to play center with his speed and he’s not going to become fast enough to make an impact on both ends of the ice at that spot at his size. Those are just limitations of his skillset...which is fine, cause he’s going to be one hell of a winger, but he’s not a two-way player at center.

But more importantly, B) what’s the problem with your “worst case scenario” where we acquire a 1b C and Kam does grow into that guy down the line? Then we’re just loaded down the middle for Soda’s departure. With Jost, Kaut, Jimmothy and the Ottawa pick...or Kerfoot + our pick...the winger pool is there for us if we get the Center depth up to snuff...not to mentioned the likes of Shvyryov, Greer, Weiss, Ranta, Kovalenko, etc.

And we’d still be in a great spot on the backend with Barrie, Girard, Makar, Zadorov, EJ, Cole, & Meloche. Would need to draft another top 4 prospect in the second round this year & use our 2020 1st on another blueliner, but that unit is deep & talented.

We have the team & asset wealth to afford this without limiting ourselves in the future in any substantial way.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
A) We do though. He’s not going to grow big enough to play center with his speed and he’s not going to become fast enough to make an impact on both ends of the ice at that spot at his size. Those are just limitations of his skillset...which is fine, cause he’s going to be one hell of a winger, but he’s not a two-way player at center.

But more importantly, B) what’s the problem with your “worst case scenario” where we acquire a 1b C and Kam does grow into that guy down the line? Then we’re just loaded down the middle for Soda’s departure. With Jost, Kaut, Jimmothy and the Ottawa pick...or Kerfoot + our pick...the winger pool is there for us if we get the Center depth up to snuff...not to mentioned the likes of Shvyryov, Greer, Weiss, Ranta, Kovalenko, etc.

And we’d still be in a great spot on the backend with Barrie, Girard, Makar, Zadorov, EJ, Cole, & Meloche. Would need to draft another top 4 prospect in the second round this year & use our 2020 1st on another blueliner, but that unit is deep & talented.

We have the team & asset wealth to afford this without limiting ourselves in the future in any substantial way.

A - No, we really don't. Your affinity for a specific type of player doesn't mean that's the only type of player that could possibly work in that role. I've been watching hockey for a really long time and have seen way too many players who were "too small" or "too slow" or just plain "not good enough" that still ended up being extremely effective when given a chance. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and you'll never find a better way if you only stick to what you already have learned works.

B. I'm not really saying there's a problem with your scenario, just that I think there's a better way to do it. Both will likely make us a better team going forward, even if it's only the roster guys now getting more experience and maybe signing a UFA to replace Wilson, but only one strategy has the ability to likely make us a better team while also keeping all of our prospects and picks. The prospect of having a very solid team already, and still having really talented kids like Bowers and Timmins and both 2019 draft picks coming in another year or two, makes me drool a little. When those guys are able to earn NHL ice time, depending on who actually gets there, that's when it makes sense to look at moving one of the current group whose value in 18 months will be based on 200+ games of NHL experience, and not just potential.

And, our back end would still be fine without Timmins, for now. But EJ is 30 years old. Cole is 29 and only signed for 3 years. Barrie's a UFA in 2020 and is still a Newport client. Zadorov is an upcoming RFA and held out in the recent past. And Meloche and Makar still haven't played an NHL game. Keeping Timmins in the mix gives us another high talent piece who might be a long term solution in the NHL. And, to be honest, even without moving any of our D, I still almost want to use one of the 2019 1sts on D (probably ours), because there are so many potential issues in the future that we can easily plan for. There's no reason to be always scrambling to make a trade whenever problems arise, if we keep the prospect pool fully stocked.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think the talent is there like with Necas & Aho...and again I suspect you'd grab another prospect with that kind of talent to cover for Chytil ending up better on the wing. As for the others, I'd take Andersson & Howden over Hayes pretty comfortably, and Andersson could well surpass Zibby as a 1b C.

But maybe the rest of the season changes that :dunno:

I am a fan of Andersson.......simply saying he could surpass Zib is true......but I haven't seen anything that actually supports that right now. He has a way to go. I think more realistically he becomes a 2nd or even 3rd line C on this team based on what he has shown. Maybe he works the bugs out and becomes the #1 but I have not seen anything that suggests that up to now.

I see Zib/Howden/Andersson as NY's top 3 C's next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A - No, we really don't. Your affinity for a specific type of player doesn't mean that's the only type of player that could possibly work in that role. I've been watching hockey for a really long time and have seen way too many players who were "too small" or "too slow" or just plain "not good enough" that still ended up being extremely effective when given a chance. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and you'll never find a better way if you only stick to what you already have learned works.

B. I'm not really saying there's a problem with your scenario, just that I think there's a better way to do it. Both will likely make us a better team going forward, even if it's only the roster guys now getting more experience and maybe signing a UFA to replace Wilson, but only one strategy has the ability to likely make us a better team while also keeping all of our prospects and picks. The prospect of having a very solid team already, and still having really talented kids like Bowers and Timmins and both 2019 draft picks coming in another year or two, makes me drool a little. When those guys are able to earn NHL ice time, depending on who actually gets there, that's when it makes sense to look at moving one of the current group whose value in 18 months will be based on 200+ games of NHL experience, and not just potential.

And, our back end would still be fine without Timmins, for now. But EJ is 30 years old. Cole is 29 and only signed for 3 years. Barrie's a UFA in 2020 and is still a Newport client. Zadorov is an upcoming RFA and held out in the recent past. And Meloche and Makar still haven't played an NHL game. Keeping Timmins in the mix gives us another high talent piece who might be a long term solution in the NHL. And, to be honest, even without moving any of our D, I still almost want to use one of the 2019 1sts on D (probably ours), because there are so many potential issues in the future that we can easily plan for. There's no reason to be always scrambling to make a trade whenever problems arise, if we keep the prospect pool fully stocked.

I'll get back to the rest of this in an hour or two when I'm back at my computer, but what specific type of player do I have an affinity for???

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'll get back to the rest of this in an hour or two when I'm back at my computer, but what specific type of player do I have an affinity for???

Given your unabashed love for Draisaitl, and your desire to trade for Zibby, it's a big, strong, defensively sound guy who provides good offense. I'm not saying you don't have good (and expensive) taste, you just seem to be judging our current group of youngsters against the ideal 2C you have in your head. And, I'm saying that your ideal 2C isn't the only possible way to win, and want to judge our current group on their own merits.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Given your unabashed love for Draisaitl, and your desire to trade for Zibby, it's a big, strong, defensively sound guy who provides good offense. I'm not saying you don't have good (and expensive) taste, you just seem to be judging our current group of youngsters against the ideal 2C you have in your head. And, I'm saying that your ideal 2C isn't the only possible way to win, and want to judge our current group on their own merits.

What about my love for Jimmothy, Trocheck, Bokk, Denisenko, Podkolzin, Girard & Barrie? Drae & Radu are my favorite players because of their talent. I only care about size if it comes with serious skill. I want Zibby to replace Kerfoot as our 2C because he’s better on both ends of the ice, not because he’s bigger.

My desire for a strong two way player for that 2nd line is a function of the top line eating up so much offensive usage; but I also want that player to be able to drive the play offensively as well.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
What about my love for Jimmothy, Trocheck, Bokk, Denisenko, Podkolzin, Girard & Barrie? Drae & Radu are my favorite players because of their talent. I only care about size if it comes with serious skill. I want Zibby to replace Kerfoot as our 2C because he’s better on both ends of the ice, not because he’s bigger.

My desire for a strong two way player for that 2nd line is a function of the top line eating up so much offensive usage; but I also want that player to be able to drive the play offensively as well.

I'm not saying you only like bigger players, just that you seem to have an ideal 2C in mind, which seems to be someone in the Zibby/Drai mold. Otherwise, you wouldn't be using Kerfoot's size as a reason to discount him as a viable option at 2C.

Also, if you have so much love for Compher, why not give him a real chance at 2C before we go look outside the organization? He was 2nd in the NCAA in scoring as a junior a couple years ago, is fast on his skates, and is defensively sound. It sounds to me like he could be everything you want from the 2C position, if he can just stay healthy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not saying you only like bigger players, just that you seem to have an ideal 2C in mind, which seems to be someone in the Zibby/Drai mold. Otherwise, you wouldn't be using Kerfoot's size as a reason to discount him as a viable option at 2C.

Also, if you have so much love for Compher, why not give him a real chance at 2C before we go look outside the organization? He was 2nd in the NCAA in scoring as a junior a couple years ago, is fast on his skates, and is defensively sound. It sounds to me like he could be everything you want from the 2C position, if he can just stay healthy.

That doesn’t explain my mentioning Trocheck for that spot as well as Drae & Zibby :dunno:

He’s no bigger than Kerf, but he’s a strong two-way guy — not a liability — and he’s more of a driver offensively. That’s why i’d happily give Kerf up for him. Kerf just lacks the defensive prowess & gets pushed around too easily; while not driving the play enough to offset that for my liking...and that’s before we factor in what re-signing him could cost given his #s.

As for Jimmothy, you don’t need to tell me about his college career. I watched both him & Jost play in the NCAA because I still had time for youth hockey back then. And the reason I wouldn’t bet on Compher becoming the 1b C we need, is that I just don’t think he’s skilled enough. I love his smarts, his chippiness is absolutely endearing, his speed is a major factor, his defensive prowess is key, and his shot is much more dangerous than it looked like it would be coming out of college. But at this level his hands just aren’t good enough to be the creative playmaker who fed Connor for all of those goals at Michigan, that he’d need to be for us to become cup contenders with him anchoring our second line :dunno:

As a third line guy who can play up, PK & help the 2nd unit PP; I love him. As the third wheel on the wing of a scoring line I like him a lot...thus why I wanted him to join MacK & Landy so Mikko could get Duchene right, and why I’d be so happy to have him & Jost flanking a stud C...but not as the center of a scoring line, not if we want to win a cup. To be real cup contenders we need someone with more talent in that spot unless we’re gunna bank on Makar become Keith 2.0 so that we don’t need to be as special up front. Same reason I don’t feel comfortable just banking on Soda or Kam to fill that spot.

In my ideal world we add two scoring liners via FA, trade, & this upcoming draft; who will be able to make an impact by the 2020-2021 postseason; with Jost on their wing and the top line taking attention off of them. Leaving Soda & Kam to anchor Kaut, Compher, Kerfoot, Calvert, Greer & Shvyryov, in our bottom 6...while Bowers, Weiss, Kovalenko, Ranta, Lewis, etc. percolate in our pipeline until we need quality forward depth on ELCs in the future.

That would set us up to maximize MacK’s prime by starting to compete next year and still having plenty of assets to make necessary follow up moves while keeping more than enough futures to cultivate internal re-inforcements that should help us avoid needing many follow up moves.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just because you don't see anyone right now, doesn't mean we shouldn't still put them to the test so we can actually be sure whether you're right.

And, I'll gladly concede the first few years of a Cup window in exchange for keeping that window open for an extra decade. That's my focus, not on trying to maximize the next 5 years while Mack is cheap.

No team other than the penguins has had a decade long cap window in the cap era. And the only reason they’ve had a cup window for so long is because they’ve had 2/3 best players in the league on their team.

And you have to maximize the next 5 years while Mack is cheap. That’s when we can add the most talent on the team around him. When Mack’s contract ends he’s probably gonna sign a contract worth $14-$16mil and good luck building around a team that’s paying Mikko $10mil and Mack $15mil.

We have a line that’s dominating in a way no one has in ~15 years. The time for a cup is basically starting now. We can’t wait on the youth because our core is ready to win now. Mack/Mikko/Landy are all in their primes right now. Barrie is 27, EJ is 30, Varly is 30. Our most important players are in their primes now or are about to leave that stage of their careers. If we wait to long then we end up wasting our best shot at a cup.

Reactions: cgf

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That doesn’t explain my mentioning Trocheck for that spot as well as Drae & Zibby :dunno:

He’s no bigger than Kerf, but he’s a strong two-way guy — not a liability — and he’s more of a driver offensively. That’s why i’d happily give Kerf up for him. Kerf just lacks the defensive prowess & gets pushed around too easily; while not driving the play enough to offset that for my liking...and that’s before we factor in what re-signing him could cost given his #s.

As for Jimmothy, you don’t need to tell me about his college career. I watched both him & Jost play in the NCAA because I still had time for youth hockey back then. And the reason I wouldn’t bet on Compher becoming the 1b C we need, is that I just don’t think he’s skilled enough. I love his smarts, his chippiness is absolutely endearing, his speed is a major factor, his defensive prowess is key, and his shot is much more dangerous than it looked like it would be coming out of college. But at this level his hands just aren’t good enough to be the creative playmaker who fed Connor for all of those goals at Michigan, that he’d need to be for us to become cup contenders with him anchoring our second line :dunno:

As a third line guy who can play up, PK & help the 2nd unit PP; I love him. As the third wheel on the wing of a scoring line I like him a lot...thus why I wanted him to join MacK & Landy so Mikko could get Duchene right, and why I’d be so happy to have him & Jost flanking a stud C...but not as the center of a scoring line, not if we want to win a cup. To be real cup contenders we need someone with more talent in that spot unless we’re gunna bank on Makar become Keith 2.0 so that we don’t need to be as special up front. Same reason I don’t feel comfortable just banking on Soda or Kam to fill that spot.

In my ideal world we add two scoring liners via FA, trade, & this upcoming draft; who will be able to make an impact by the 2020-2021 postseason; with Jost on their wing and the top line taking attention off of them. Leaving Soda & Kam to anchor Kaut, Compher, Kerfoot, Calvert, Greer & Shvyryov, in our bottom 6...while Bowers, Weiss, Kovalenko, Ranta, Lewis, etc. percolate in our pipeline until we need quality forward depth on ELCs in the future.

That would set us up to maximize MacK’s prime by starting to compete next year and still having plenty of assets to make necessary follow up moves while keeping more than enough futures to cultivate internal re-inforcements that should help us avoid needing many follow up moves.

I don't remember you pushing for Trocheck nearly as hard as you've pushed for Drai and Zibby. Maybe I wasn't involved in those conversations. But, Trocheck is also a 5th year pro. What he did last year isn't what he showed when he was just a 2nd year guy, so comparing him now to Kerfoot's 2nd NHL year isn't really a fair comparison. I'm not disagreeing that Kerfoot's D still needs some work, but what 2nd year pro doesn't still have things to work on?

And again, you're comparing JT to some ideal picture of what a 2C looks like in your head, and seem to be ignoring/forgetting the fact that he broke his hand to start last season, which makes it really difficult to definitively say that his hands aren't good enough at the NHL level. And, why exactly does he need to be a creative playmaker for us to be Cup contenders anyway? Why can't we put him with a creative winger (Panarin?) and let him be a goal scorer on that 2nd line? Is that forbidden for some reason?

Also, what's the harm in letting Makar at least play a full NHL season before we try to determine whether we can bank on him before we assume we can't and fix a problem that doesn't exist? Is that also forbidden?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't remember you pushing for Trocheck nearly as hard as you've pushed for Drai and Zibby. Maybe I wasn't involved in those conversations. But, Trocheck is also a 5th year pro. What he did last year isn't what he showed when he was just a 2nd year guy, so comparing him now to Kerfoot's 2nd NHL year isn't really a fair comparison. I'm not disagreeing that Kerfoot's D still needs some work, but what 2nd year pro doesn't still have things to work on?

And again, you're comparing JT to some ideal picture of what a 2C looks like in your head, and seem to be ignoring/forgetting the fact that he broke his hand to start last season, which makes it really difficult to definitively say that his hands aren't good enough at the NHL level. And, why exactly does he need to be a creative playmaker for us to be Cup contenders anyway? Why can't we put him with a creative winger (Panarin?) and let him be a goal scorer on that 2nd line? Is that forbidden for some reason?

Also, what's the harm in letting Makar at least play a full NHL season before we try to determine whether we can bank on him before we assume we can't and fix a problem that doesn't exist? Is that also forbidden?

Yes Kerf has less NHL experience and so will adapt his game more, but he's almost the same age as Tro; 25 vs 24; and came in with a lot of project. He wasn't a completely finished product, but he's also not suddenly going to add a completely new dimension to his game...and the dimension he does bring to the table, isn't anywhere near as good as Trocheck anyway. So they're just not comparable beyond their size.

And sure I'm comparing them to the ideal of a cup caliber 2C, but that's because I want to win a cup with this young core, not just enjoy developing young talent ad infinitum.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yes Kerf has less NHL experience and so will adapt his game more, but he's almost the same age as Tro; 25 vs 24; and came in with a lot of project. He wasn't a completely finished product, but he's also not suddenly going to add a completely new dimension to his game...and the dimension he does bring to the table, isn't anywhere near as good as Trocheck anyway. So they're just not comparable beyond their size.

And sure I'm comparing them to the ideal of a cup caliber 2C, but that's because I want to win a cup with this young core, not just enjoy developing young talent ad infinitum.

I'm not expecting Kerfoot to add a new dimension, but he should still be able to polish a few of the rough spots. Maybe he won't ever be as good as Trocheck, but he could definitely close the gap enough where the cost of acquiring Trocheck isn't worth it anymore.

I also want to win the Cup with this young core. The only difference is that I think our current group has the potential to be good enough, and you're already convinced they aren't.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
No team other than the penguins has had a decade long cap window in the cap era. And the only reason they’ve had a cup window for so long is because they’ve had 2/3 best players in the league on their team.

And you have to maximize the next 5 years while Mack is cheap. That’s when we can add the most talent on the team around him. When Mack’s contract ends he’s probably gonna sign a contract worth $14-$16mil and good luck building around a team that’s paying Mikko $10mil and Mack $15mil.

We have a line that’s dominating in a way no one has in ~15 years. The time for a cup is basically starting now. We can’t wait on the youth because our core is ready to win now. Mack/Mikko/Landy are all in their primes right now. Barrie is 27, EJ is 30, Varly is 30. Our most important players are in their primes now or are about to leave that stage of their careers. If we wait to long then we end up wasting our best shot at a cup.
Hence my proposal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not expecting Kerfoot to add a new dimension, but he should still be able to polish a few of the rough spots. Maybe he won't ever be as good as Trocheck, but he could definitely close the gap enough where the cost of acquiring Trocheck isn't worth it anymore.

I also want to win the Cup with this young core. The only difference is that I think our current group has the potential to be good enough, and you're already convinced they aren't.

I'm not convinced they aren't ever going to be cup contenders, my issue is that sitting tight could well take another 3 years before Makar is a highend #1, or the Sens pick becomes a legit second 1C for us. Cause we're missing 1 of those 2 cornerstones that all recent cup winners have had...and the only avenues we have, that I'd have any comfort in betting on reaching those levels, are Makar & the sens pick if it ends up top 5-ish.

Other than those two -- both of which are not sure things & could easily take 3 more years to work out for us --you're talking about banking on someone surpassing their talent level...which certainly happens; but banking on that to put us over the top if Makar doesn't become Keith 2.0 and the Sens don't tank us Hughes, is not a plan I'm content with. You're just giving up on far too many seasons of our window because of Timmins when we could start competing now & still have a logjam of young talent for the future. It's "safer" but how many times must hockey teach the lesson that "safe is death"?

PS and nah, Kerfoot may close the production gap, but he can't drive the play the way Trocheck can. He just doesn't have that kind of ability. Asking him to develop it is just setting him -- and the team by proxy -- up to fail.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hence my proposal

You don’t give up a possible top 3 pick for Zibanejad. There’s not a single piece on the rangers I’d move the Ottawa pick for. Adding talent to the team should be something we’re looking. But you know it has to make sense value wise.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hence my proposal

And it could make sense...after we know where that pick will land. Zibby just isn't quite good enough up to give up a shot at Hughes, Kakko, or Dach/Cozens. But if the pick ends up 6 or later, then packaging it with Timmons for Zibby could make sense.

But not now.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm not convinced they aren't ever going to be cup contenders, my issue is that sitting tight could well take another 3 years before Makar is a highend #1, or the Sens pick becomes a legit second 1C for us. Cause we're missing 1 of those 2 cornerstones that all recent cup winners have had...and the only avenues we have, that I'd have any comfort in betting on reaching those levels, are Makar & the sens pick if it ends up top 5-ish.

Other than those two -- both of which are not sure things & could easily take 3 more years to work out for us --you're talking about banking on someone surpassing their talent level...which certainly happens; but banking on that to put us over the top if Makar doesn't become Keith 2.0 and the Sens don't tank us Hughes, is not a plan I'm content with. You're just giving up on far too many seasons of our window because of Timmins when we could start competing now & still have a logjam of young talent for the future. It's "safer" but how many times must hockey teach the lesson that "safe is death"?

PS and nah, Kerfoot may close the production gap, but he can't drive the play the way Trocheck can. He just doesn't have that kind of ability. Asking him to develop it is just setting him -- and the team by proxy -- up to fail.

To be fair, making trades could well take another 3 years too. It's so hard to win the Stanley Cup, there's no guarantee of success, regardless of what we do to the roster.

And, I'm not really banking on anyone surpassing their talent level, I just want to be able to make more informed choices. I don't want to have to guess at whether Makar can become Keith 2.0, I want to judge him based on what he shows on NHL ice for at least a full season. Assuming he joins the Avs at the end of the NCAA season this year, we'll get his first full season next year, and can make our changes during the 2020 off-season.

And, claiming one additional season is "far too many seasons" is a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To be fair, making trades could well take another 3 years too. It's so hard to win the Stanley Cup, there's no guarantee of success, regardless of what we do to the roster.

And, I'm not really banking on anyone surpassing their talent level, I just want to be able to make more informed choices. I don't want to have to guess at whether Makar can become Keith 2.0, I want to judge him based on what he shows on NHL ice for at least a full season. Assuming he joins the Avs at the end of the NCAA season this year, we'll get his first full season next year, and can make our changes during the 2020 off-season.

And, claiming one additional season is "far too many seasons" is a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

That's fair, but that's even more reason to open our window earlier IMO. Give us more swings at the cup with a group that can get it done since I think we'd still have more than enough futures to keep the window around that cup-caliber-core open for as long as our scouting & development does an average job.

I'm not making guesses about Makar either, I'm just not depending on his development...or the OTT pick...one way or the other. If he gets there, either right off the bat or down the road, then that's great and just extends our window. If not, then we won't have lost any time waiting for him.

Too many seasons was in reference to just waiting for Makar & the sens pick to develop, not making a trade in the summer of 2020 instead of 2019.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's fair, but that's even more reason to open our window earlier IMO. Give us more swings at the cup with a group that can get it done.

I'm not making guesses about Makar either, I'm just not depending on his development one way or the other. If he gets there, either right off the bat or down the road, then that's great and just extends our window, if not then we haven't lost any time waiting for him.

Too many seasons was in reference to just waiting for Makar & the sens pick to develop, not making a trade in the summer of 2020 instead of 2019.

I'm all for adding more swings at the Cup, but the way we've been playing lately with everyone mostly healthy is making me re-think my opinion that we're still a year or two away from opening the window. My question now is, if Landy/Mack/Rant smash the window open and start burning villages this year, how do we add more swings on the front end? :huh:

And, I think we've got similar ideas about Makar. Bring him in, give him a year to replace Barberio/Nemeth on the 3rd pairing, and then play it by ear based on what he shows. I never meant that we should wait for him to become a 1D before we try to be competitive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm all for adding more swings at the Cup, but the way we've been playing lately with everyone mostly healthy is making me re-think my opinion that we're still a year or two away from opening the window. My question now is, if Landy/Mack/Rant smash the window open and start burning villages this year, how do we add more swings on the front end? :huh:

And, I think we've got similar ideas about Makar. Bring him in, give him a year to replace Barberio/Nemeth on the 3rd pairing, and then play it by ear based on what he shows. I never meant that we should wait for him to become a 1D before we try to be competitive.

By giving them the necessary supporting cast to not just burn down villages but get to the WCF...or further...this year!

I actually expect Cale to play on the third pairing as soon as his college season is done, with us playing it by ear from there.

And gotcha gotcha

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Jeeesus what happened to this thread?

Avs have been in rebuild mode for what, like 5 years now? Can't sit on your hands forever or you'll end up like Arizona or Edmonton. It would behoove your franchise to be proactive rather than reactive. I can't imagine a much better fit for you guys behind Mackinnon in Zibanejad, especially considering the contract, he fits your window perfectly.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
By giving them the necessary supporting cast to not just burn down villages but get to the WCF...or further...this year!

I actually expect Cale to play on the third pairing as soon as his college season is done, with us playing it by ear from there.

And gotcha gotcha

And, how do we give them the necessary supporting staff if we're still trying to use this season to assess our supporting staff? These things were a lot simpler to figure out when we sucked and were just trying to find whatever talent we could...

And, yeah, that's what I meant with Makar. But the UMass regular season ends March 8. Unless he's signed and in Denver the next day, he'll only get maybe 6 regular season games this year, plus the playoffs. So, unless he comes in and immediately earns ice time over Barrie and EJ, I think 3rd pairing is where he'll be most of next year too, unless we move Barrie in the off-season when Newport demands $10m+.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Jeeesus what happened to this thread?

Avs have been in rebuild mode for what, like 5 years now? Can't sit on your hands forever or you'll end up like Arizona or Edmonton. It would behoove your franchise to be proactive rather than reactive. I can't imagine a much better fit for you guys behind Mackinnon in Zibanejad, especially considering the contract, he fits your window perfectly.

We replaced more than half the roster with rookies and traded Duchene just last season. That's really the start of the rebuild. Everything before that was prep work so we actually could rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->