ZHERDEV:how good is he looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Arbitrator chosen for Zherdev case

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP-CP) -- An arbitrator has been chosen to decide whether Columbus Blue Jackets rookie forward Nikolai Zherdev can stay in the United States.

The Russian hockey federation claims that the 19-year-old player from Ukraine has yet to meet military obligations in his homeland.

The NHL, Blue Jackets, Zherdev and his agent believe he should be allowed to remain in the U.S.

William Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer, said the league chose Stephan Netzle of Switzerland from a list of three arbitrators submitted by the International Ice Hockey Federation. Netzle accepted the offer on Monday.

"All I've been told is that if the hearing goes forward it will be some time after Feb. 16," Columbus assistant general manager Jim Clark said. "Beyond that, we don't know much."

Zherdev, a fast right-winger, has six goals and seven assists in 26 games since joining the Blue Jackets on Dec. 2.

He was selected to play in the YoungStars game during next month's all-star weekend.

Zherdev, the fourth overall pick in the 2003 NHL entry draft, left his club team CSKA suddenly last month to join the Blue Jackets.

He signed a three-year contract with the Blue Jackets in August.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
The Messenger said:
Arbitrator chosen for Zherdev case

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP-CP) -- An arbitrator has been chosen to decide whether Columbus Blue Jackets rookie forward Nikolai Zherdev can stay in the United States.

The Russian hockey federation claims that the 19-year-old player from Ukraine has yet to meet military obligations in his homeland.

The NHL, Blue Jackets, Zherdev and his agent believe he should be allowed to remain in the U.S.

William Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer, said the league chose Stephan Netzle of Switzerland from a list of three arbitrators submitted by the International Ice Hockey Federation. Netzle accepted the offer on Monday.

"All I've been told is that if the hearing goes forward it will be some time after Feb. 16," Columbus assistant general manager Jim Clark said. "Beyond that, we don't know much."

Zherdev, a fast right-winger, has six goals and seven assists in 26 games since joining the Blue Jackets on Dec. 2.

He was selected to play in the YoungStars game during next month's all-star weekend.

Zherdev, the fourth overall pick in the 2003 NHL entry draft, left his club team CSKA suddenly last month to join the Blue Jackets.

He signed a three-year contract with the Blue Jackets in August.

His homeland of Ukraine or Russia?

jacketracket*

MephistoIV said:
Lol Havent seen Siberian for a while

:handclap:
A really sarcastic bastige would suggest that maybe the Russians finally found Siberian's enlistment papers, and he's now serving in the army. :)

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Zherdev said:
He was twelve when he moved to Russia, so that was in 1996. He recieved a Ukrainian citizenship in 1991 (the year Ukraine became independent). But I am still unsure if Nikolai holds a Russian passport.
He could've still used his Soviet passport if he had one - but he didn't, did he? So he MUST have had a Russian one to play for Russia.

And please Ukraine is Ukraine and Russia is Russia, so Ukraine has nothing to do with Russia since 1991.
This is utterly Pejorative Slured. Yes, they're separate countries now, but the economies, businesses, cultural ties, all remained. Most of my "Russian" friends here happen to be from Ukraine and there's absolutely no hostility whatsoever.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Saprykin said:
This is utterly Pejorative Slured. Yes, they're separate countries now, but the economies, businesses, cultural ties, all remained. Most of my "Russian" friends here happen to be from Ukraine and there's absolutely no hostility whatsoever.
He never said they did have "hostility" just hes ukranian-not russian and they are two different countries

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
MephistoIV said:
He never said they did have "hostility" just hes ukranian-not russian and they are two different countries
And I'm saying that the two countries are still very close and have a lot to do with each other. The hostility part was describing his self-righteous attitude.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Saprykin said:
And I'm saying that the two countries are still very close and have a lot to do with each other. The hostility part was describing his self-righteous attitude.

Every country wants to be known as unique, please stick to the topic from now on...

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Zherdev said:
Every country wants to be known as unique,
So what. Doesn't make what you said there any more legitimate.
please stick to the topic from now on...
Zherdev will be a good one. I think we've all agreed on that. What else is there to discuss. And I don't remember going on a tangent myself, either. I respond to what others post in this thread and couldn't care less about what it was originally intended to be. If someone brought the whole Ukraine-Russia thing up, then it must have been for a reason, right?

KariyaIsGod*

Saprykin said:
So what. Doesn't make what you said there any more legitimate.

Zherdev will be a good one. I think we've all agreed on that. What else is there to discuss. And I don't remember going on a tangent myself, either. I respond to what others post in this thread and couldn't care less about what it was originally intended to be. If someone brought the whole Ukraine-Russia thing up, then it must have been for a reason, right?

Well, this thread would have been shorter but ONE person thought Zherdev was going to be a bust and couldn't see it any other way.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
KariyaIsGod said:
Well, this thread would have been shorter but ONE person thought Zherdev was going to be a bust and couldn't see it any other way.

Sorry to burst your bubbles once again, my friends, but Zherdev is poor mans Berezin.

KariyaIsGod*

Siberian said:
Sorry to burst your bubbles once again, my friends, but Zherdev is poor mans Berezin.

Of course, you did a fine job proving that to everyone here with your superb points. I'm sorry, here in North America, you can't buy people's support with bags of salt, so take your ish back to the mines kid.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Siberian said:
As I said it already hundred times Zherdev made a big mistake coming to the league that early. He does have good puckhandling and some other elements but the way he started his career in NHL will hurt him quite a bit. .
Well, i asked to you before why you think to come TO PLAY and to make more money in the NHL instead of sitting on the bench in Russia was a big mistake. After reading the entire thread, it seems like the main reason for you to say it was a big mistake is that you don‘t like that Russian youngsters fly away without their teams get proper compensation.
That‘s a reason that will hardly affect Nikolay development…
We will never have a countercheck of what would have been better for him, but your arguments are far from convincing.

Siberian said:
I would say he will be fading away in the next two years and either becomes solid third or even second liner on certain teams or he will be out of NHL at all.
I asked before why and, even if undirectly, you clearly answered because of his attitude.
His actions (even if concerted with his agent) proved TO YOU he is and will ever be a sore loser and he will ever have a terrible attitude. Maybe time will prove you had a point here, but after reading the whole thread it looks like your thoughts come just out of frustration. You are really irritated because under the current agreement Russian players can legally leave to play in the NHL with very low indemnities for their teams .
If you wanted to talk about this argument then you should have started a thread about that, you probably would have found me on your side and let this one be what was supposed to be. This wasn‘t intended as a Zherdev appreciation thread, in fact your opinion was welcome to me, but i was interested in reading comments which were the results of Zherdev play in his first 20-25 games in the NHL and not of your frustration.

I asked to make a prediction giving 7 possibilities for his future.
Your answer fluctuates from #3 to #7; It is really unsteady considering what you think of the guy, which tells me that in despite of your words you must be high on his talent in the back of your mind.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Now, a due answer to you, Siberian.
( since the ‘Chistov to the minors‘ thread has been closed i have to post it here. Sorry moderators, but I discard PM to have the same visibility Siberian got in his last post)

Siberian said:
..Viktor Tikhonov himself said that Val had more talent than Pavel. . .

helicecopter said:
Oh yes!! In fact Pavel Bure set records in Russia as a junior which Valeri never came close to beat...

Viktor Tikhonov himself! wow! Maybe he said those words after drinking some good vodka.. or maybe he meant that Val had more talent...to build and develop a family!!! .

Siberian said:
….
Look, you don't even know what you're talking about, why even bother typing???
Why are you so concerned with vodka so much????
Pavel moved to NA at the age of 21 and Val moved to NA at the age of 17. Val did not have time to play in juniors....

……..This flamer just had nothing to say and posted messages about vodka. What's up with that?

I know what i‘m talking about, so i already knew that Valeri was 17 when he came to North America.
Unfortunately for you, Pavel set his records in junior when he was younger than 17. Now, you should realize that Valeri had all the possibilities to match those Pavel‘s numbers back in Russia, if he only had the talent…
I‘m not concerned with vodka :), i used it trying to save Tikhonov…
Maybe pay more attention next time while reading:
the message wasn‘t about vodka, it was about how ridiculous was a quote that you were trying to sell us as truth to back up your theory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad