Speculation: Zetterberg's Health

Dead Thing

Jun 24, 2018
Can anyone explain to me why, out of the blue(at least to me), there are health concerns about Zetts status for next year, to the point where Holland is considering signing Filppula as a replacement. What gives here??? Zetts has played all 82 games for the last 3 seasons and played 77 games the year before that. I never expected, and still don't, for Zetts to play the last 2 years of his deal, but I fully expected him to play this yr.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has a bad back, chances are he hasn't been able to begin his off-season program as well as he would like and has told the Wings as much. They have told the media because it helps explain why they are talking to Filppula.

Hopefully he gets it going soon.

Maybe he is also unhappy with some of what he was promised would be done at the end of season meetings and that is helping drag his feet in terms of the off-season program. Whatever the case the Wings have to run scenarios on what to do if he does ride off into the sunset.

It was pretty painful to watch him most nights after games. He sat there and answered all the questions, but 82 more games of that also might be getting a little more daunting as he sits at home in the off-season. It could be a bunch of reasons but they cannot sit around and do nothing if there is even that possibility out there.

I hope he comes back for at least one more year and gets to 1,000 points. But if his back won't go, I am not sure there is much to be done.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's all still speculation at this point. He's due to make just $3.35 million this coming season. I would completely understand why he wants to pull the Hossa card and call it a career. He'll be 38 in October.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think if Zetterberg has back problems, it will be the biggest Red Wings lie ever.

He has been healthier than ever after his surgery. Has missed 5 games since the surgery in 2014, because of knee injury. He spoked for many years how his back was better after 2014 than it was before.

But if he'll want o retire because of a loss of motivation in a weak team, this lie can be used as an excuse.

Reactions: Grimm

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
Smells kind of fishy to me. I remember him making a comment toward the end of the season about how he was feeling good as ever and then walking it back later claiming something about how he'll play as long as his back let's him. Now we find out he might not be good to go for this next season, despite 3 straight full seasons? Don't think the NHL would buy that and let him go LTIR.

I always thought he and Kronwall would retire at the same time. So maybe it's just to set the stage for next year, when Kronwall's contract is up and I believe Z's salary drops even more?

Regardless I hope the best for him. He's been my favorite player since his rookie year and maybe I just can't except the fact that I've seen him play for the last time without realizing it. I'm sure his back hurts like hell too, even if it's just from trying to carry a team that has no business going anywhere.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I mean, nobody expected him to play these final few "loophole" years of the contract when he signed it 10 years ago.

Reactions: Konnan511

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Smells kind of fishy to me. I remember him making a comment toward the end of the season about how he was feeling good as ever and then walking it back later claiming something about how he'll play as long as his back let's him. Now we find out he might not be good to go for this next season, despite 3 straight full seasons? Don't think the NHL would buy that and let him go LTIR.

I always thought he and Kronwall would retire at the same time. So maybe it's just to set the stage for next year, when Kronwall's contract is up and I believe Z's salary drops even more?

Regardless I hope the best for him. He's been my favorite player since his rookie year and maybe I just can't except the fact that I've seen him play for the last time without realizing it. I'm sure his back hurts like hell too, even if it's just from trying to carry a team that has no business going anywhere.

Never dealt with a chronic injury, have you? I can do bench sets with 175 pounds, and do my max outs north of 200, one day and feel great, but then the next day I lay down wrong and my bad shoulder is three time bigger than normal. These things are by nature pretty unpredictable.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well as for the Fill thing I don't know on facebook today one on the hockey pages said they where only talking to Vanek and Bernier now so that's something.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't see why he can't be okay enough to play 82 games one year, and in too much pain to strain himself the next. People age. Shit happens.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
It seems rather odd but because it's Z, I don't care if that's what he wants to do.

If he LTIR's the last three years, I just hope it doesn't damage his legacy in the eyes of fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad