Zetterberg vs Nieuwendyk

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
So recently this forum has been discussing about Nieuwendyk's career, and whether he fits into the HHOF or not.
"Z" still has more years in him, i still consider him to be a top 6 forward in the league.
Depending on when he's eligible to be considered for the HHOF, he may or may not get in depending on the class.

Both have olympic gold and at least one Stanley Cup, both also have a Conn Smythe as part of their arsenal.

Zetterberg has 506 games under his belt, Joe has more than double of that. From your educated hockey knowledge pool, make a prediction as to who will be the better player of all-time.
Joseph Nieuwendyk or Carl Henrik Zetterberg

372977.jpg

Ser_r_ouml_tt_232694a.jpg

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Might be a bit biased but I would take Zetterberg over Nieuwendyk on any team as a GM. I just think that Zetterberg has been a bigger factor at both ends of the ice than Nieuwendyk.

pluppe

Apr 6, 2009
I would pick Z. he already has a much higher peak in my opinion. I think that you for atleast a season (07/08) could make an argument that he was the best player in the world. Joe was never even close. Z seems to be better defensively and I also find his Conn Smythe run better.

Infinite Vision*

I think Henrik will be better in the coming years but he's not there yet.

For 5 straight years Zetterberg has been better both offensively, and defensively, than Nieuwendyk ever was, in the regular season and the playoffs. I'd say he's comfortably there.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I would say at this moment they are equal.
After another 500 games will be Zetterberg considered as a much better player.

As you wrote, both are equal at hardware, but Z is ranked as one of the best.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Since the question is "who will be thought of as better when they are both done?" I take Z. Z's regular season peak is already easily better. Joe N had the one spectacular playoffs, but Z had 2 playoffs that were at least as good back to back!

Give Z another 5 years of playing at a high level, and he should pass Joe N's accomplishments pretty solidly.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Without looking at the poorer selections of the past like Clark Gillies & Joey Mullen into the HHOF

Henrik is really boderlining it compared to some of the greats, which i believe should set the bar
therefore you do have to wonder if the HHOF is becoming the "hall of alright" with talks of Nieuwendyk being a first ballot guy

Anyways back to the poll. the Wings will remain somewhat competitive the next couple years. But in todays day and age, the salary cap really hampers the amount of workload Zetterberg will have each game. he really doesn't have too much secondary players to offload his workload

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Nieuwy wishes he could play hockey the way Zetterberg can. Right now on career value I guess it is still Nieuwy, but that's only because Zetterberg has 8 years under his belt that's it. Wait not too much longer.

They each won a Conn Smythe and I would have picked Zetterberg's run as the better one. Plus he was almost as good in 2009 and that is miles better than anything else Nieuwy has done in the playoffs other than 1999.

The best regular season between the two is 2008 by Zetterberg and it isn't really much of a contest. He was, and still is a top 10 player in the game. I wouldn't scoff if someone said top 5. Joe was never near that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad