Value of: Zetterberg to Montreal

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
He definitely seems like the type that wants to spend his whole career with the same organization but he surprisingly has some game left in him and Detroit is on a steady decline. Maybe the chance to go and play for a team that has a veteran core and Stanley cup aspirations might be enough to get him to agree to a trade. I think he'd be a perfect fit in Montreal playing in front Chucky. Not sure how wings fans feel about him playing for another team but if the return was right could kick start their rebuild.

Zetterberg @ 1mil retained
For
Plekanec, McCarron, 1st 2017, 2nd 2018

Thoughts?

Last edited:

styleisle

Dec 17, 2010
Portland, OR
He definitely seems like the type that wants to spend his whole career with the same organization but he surprisingly has some game left in him and Detroit is on a steady decline. Maybe the chance to go and play for a team that has a veteran core and Stanley cup contender thats very much in a win now mode might be enough to get him to waive his NMC. I think he'd be a perfect fit in Montreal playing in front Chucky. Not sure how wings fans feel about him playing for another team but if the return was right could kick start their rebuild.

For

Thoughts?

If you change that 2017 1st and 2018 second into a 2018 first we have a deal.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
He definitely seems like the type that wants to spend his whole career with the same organization but he surprisingly has some game left in him and Detroit is on a steady decline. Maybe the chance to go and play for a team that has a veteran core and Stanley cup aspirations might be enough to get him to agree to a trade. I think he'd be a perfect fit in Montreal playing in front Chucky. Not sure how wings fans feel about him playing for another team but if the return was right could kick start their rebuild.

For

Thoughts?

Why do the Habs want to help the Wings with their rebuild? Zetterberg would be almost 10% of our cap, he's 36 and he's signed until 2021. I'm thinking Pleks, a 2nd and Andrighetto and if not they can keep him or shop him elsewhere.

We should be looking at players 10 years younger if we're going to be trading MacCarron and a 1st.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Why do the Habs want to help the Wings with their rebuild? Zetterberg would be almost 10% of our cap, he's 36 and he's signed until 2021. I'm thinking Pleks, a 2nd and Andrighetto and if not they can keep him or shop him elsewhere.

We should be looking at players 10 years younger if we're going to be trading MacCarron and a 1st.

Because your center depth is extremely weak and you have a veteran team with a closing window. With 1mil retained you're essentially replacing Plekanec for Zetterberg and saving cap space. Zetterberg @ 5mil is solid value for at least another season assuming he stays healthy. The premise is this Montreal team is built to win now but isn't good enough as is to be a real contender. Adding Zetterberg puts you into the conversation IMO

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Wings are not moving Zetterberg.

Probably not but they should. Trust me after losing Sundin for nothing the cupboards were bare for a very long time. There's no point in continuing on as a middling team. I get he's a legend in the city and should be treated with respect but if he's ok with a move I think you have to explore the possibility

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Probably not but they should. Trust me after losing Sundin for nothing the cupboards were bare for a very long time. There's no point in continuing on as a middling team. I get he's a legend in the city and should be treated with respect but if he's ok with a move I think you have to explore the possibility

He will be 37 at the start of the next season with a bad back that has bothered him for years and that he has had surgery on. He probably would want to retire over being traded to a new team. Obviously I can't speak for Zetterberg, but I doubt he is looking for another opportunity with a different team. If so, I highly doubt it would be for one of the teams that doesn't look like a serious contender.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Probably not but they should. Trust me after losing Sundin for nothing the cupboards were bare for a very long time.

Zetteberg won them multiple cups, unlike Sundin. If he were to be moved, management should speak to him and see what he thinks is best for him. I'm a big Sundin fan but Sundin never earned that same respect but ended up leaving to the Canucks shortly after anyways.

Honestly, the return on Zetteberg at 37 years of age won't make or break that franchise moving forward. His legacy probably means more in the grand scheme in multiple perspectives- the business side of things, his personal legacy, and even from the fans perspective.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

For

Thoughts?

I think the Habs get ripped off big time.Just downright awful for the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad