Zetterberg Done For the Tournament (see warning in post #115)

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Then make the players pay for their own insurance. They all get paid enough. Leading up to the Olympics dock it from their pay.

They can't it is in the agreement. Why do you think Jordan was forbidden to ride motorcycles when he played for the Bulls or the big stink when Rothlesburger got in a motorcycle accident and was injured when it was in his contract not to do that. These athletes are being paid large sum ms of money to play for their respective clubs and the club's want to be sure they are protecting that substantial cash outlay.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Then make the players pay for their own insurance. They all get paid enough. Leading up to the Olympics dock it from their pay.

If the IOC wants NHLers so bad then they should pay the insurance. I have a feeling they might not be so thrilled with that idea.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If the IOC wants NHLers so bad then they should pay the insurance. I have a feeling they might not be so thrilled with that idea.

I think they do cover some percentage unless I am missing something.

What they don't insure is the league shutting down for a couple weeks, or the potential fallout for an injury such as this and they have been unhappy with their access to highlights and things of that nature for a while. Not surprised to hear the owners wanted fat cat packages, that I don't support and agree with the IOC for thumbing their nose at.

I did think it was curious none of the American or Canadian players could touch the ice at their orientation camp. Don't remember hearing the same about the European International camps. Looked like from today's game they didn't get that benefit, didn't seem to have a lot of plans and the Swedish coach never shuffles pairings or lines.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Why the hell should IOC bend the rules for NHL, AGAIN? how about NHL starts doing something for the international hockey?

Why? The NHL is a for profit business who has absolutely no legal obligation to growing the game, even though they're more responsible for it reaching more people than any other league in the world

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Here's the huge abyss in reasoning between European (or more like, the rest of the world) and NA fans. "Their investment". That "investment" happens to be a guy with a name. **** their investment who they got for coffee money from the same country that wants him to represent his country once every 4 years. This isn't a circus, this isn't a hedge fund, this isn't cattle, it's a sport.

If they want international star players to play for them, you can't keep the cake and eat it. The rest of the world are used to this, they understand that the national team is the national team and they dont' start crying and start the blame game if their club's star player gets injured playing for their national team. The self righteousness of the NHL and its narrowminded fans who think like this, is what makes it so easy to start boycotting this joke league, once the NHL's decision to boycott the olympics is official.

This is why a league can't dictate the entire sport globally. Then it comes down to this ****. Then you can just let the sport of hockey crawl down in some hole and die. The NHL has the money to get the best players, but its also the biggest communist joke league in the world, that is run by a bunch of corporatist clowns. Apparently, communism is a great ideology when it suits them.

Like we have to speculate a huge reason as to why.

Best post of this entire thread. Well done Chimp.

well, when Sweden gets roasted, we now will have all the excuses for their ousting. :cry:

:help:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Here's the huge abyss in reasoning between European (or more like, the rest of the world) and NA fans. "Their investment". That "investment" happens to be a guy with a name. **** their investment who they got for coffee money from the same country that wants him to represent his country once every 4 years. This isn't a circus, this isn't a hedge fund, this isn't cattle, it's a sport.

If they want international star players to play for them, you can't keep the cake and eat it. The rest of the world are used to this, they understand that the national team is the national team and they dont' start crying and start the blame game if their club's star player gets injured playing for their national team. The self righteousness of the NHL and its narrowminded fans who think like this, is what makes it so easy to start boycotting this joke league, once the NHL's decision to boycott the olympics is official.

This is why a league can't dictate the entire sport globally. Then it comes down to this ****. Then you can just let the sport of hockey crawl down in some hole and die. The NHL has the money to get the best players, but its also the biggest communist joke league in the world, that is run by a bunch of corporatist clowns. Apparently, communism is a great ideology when it suits them.

QFT.

I would feel sorry for you Swedes if I wasn't too busy still feeling sorry for us for losing Koivu and Filppula.

Tough break for Zetterberg personally too, back injuries can be very debilitating, but I think he made the right call when he still decided to go to Sochi. He was healthy enough to play for Detroit and he wanted to play for Sweden, so I think he made the right decision there. He didn't injure his back in Sochi, the injury was already there. He could have aggravated it in an NHL game just as well, and the result would still have been the same.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
All I take issue with is people saying who cares about the Wings. Well as a Wings fan this hurt a ton.
The first posts in this thread here on the Olympics board were all about the Wings, thus in essence basically saying "who cares about Sweden and the Olympics". If that's not asking for trouble, I don't know what does.

Also Zetterberg is going to live pretty for the rest of his life because of the cash they have paid him.
If not for the Wings, somebody else would have paid him the same.

if you're a Wings season ticket holder you just lost your best player this season over in a tournament that might not mean a whole lot to you,
... then go whine on the Wings board. What are you even doing here if the Olympics don't matter to you?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The first posts in this thread here on the Olympics board were all about the Wings, thus in essence basically saying "who cares about Sweden and the Olympics". If that's not asking for trouble, I don't know what does.

If not for the Wings, somebody else would have paid him the same.

... then go whine on the Wings board. What are you even doing here if the Olympics don't matter to you?

Probably because there's very few posters there in the Zetterberg injury thread blaming this on Olympics. Most Wings fans already knew his injury situation.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
There was absolutely nothing that indicates that injury came from the game. It would have happend in the NHL as well. I feel very sorry for Z, swedish fans, and wings fans (one of my favorite teams) but trying to blame his condition on the olympics is just silly.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
The Wings and Zetterberg gave him time off then ramped him back up to play and he was still playing at an elite level. Maybe not full on 100% but not surgery. You can say it would have happened anyway, hey maybe you're right, but it did happen here. You keep pretending they are the only team doing it or that they wanted to hurt him.
I never said any of the above. To the contrary I argued it is common for NHL teams to play their players injured.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Terrible news, feel sorry for Sweden.

Feel worse for DRW, they are in big trouble I think. With him this hurt and Dats out, the team won't be getting the help they need for the playoff push.

Plus that contract is going to be real ugly, the injuries are piling up worse and worse.

DatsyukianDeke*

Terrible news, feel sorry for Sweden.

Feel worse for DRW, they are in big trouble I think. With him this hurt and Dats out, the team won't be getting the help they need for the playoff push.

Plus that contract is going to be real ugly, the injuries are piling up worse and worse.

They should trade him while he still has value. :help:

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
They should trade him while he still has value. :help:

The Red Wings are going to have a number of horrendous contracts soon.

Weiss is already there, Z and Franzen's injuries are getting worse and more common. I love Z as well but you need to be realistic, his back has been terrible for years and it sure isn't getting better

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Flying form the east coast to the west coast hurts my back and I don't even have an injury history there. It is the reason why when you type in flying and back pain you get 65,000,000 results on google. Not exactly a secret, also something Bertuzzi, Helm and Zetterberg have all talked about in the past in terms of those west coast trips being a real pain.

I think they are probably going to have him have the corrective surgery while he is on the IOC's dime.

Pretty sure he would have flown business class and could lie down flat....

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Flying form the east coast to the west coast hurts my back and I don't even have an injury history there. It is the reason why when you type in flying and back pain you get 65,000,000 results on google. Not exactly a secret, also something Bertuzzi, Helm and Zetterberg have all talked about in the past in terms of those west coast trips being a real pain.

Well, I wasn't expecting him to fly economy class if he's having such trouble to be honest.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Franzen is almost as much needed frwd. He is so clutch, OG is perfect for Franzen. Z is a rock, but Hank Sedin i don't know this year, hes not good at all offensively

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Except when a player signs a contract with any team their obligation is with that team. If teams fill that there player would be better served to take 2 weeks off they should have the right to say no you're not going. Of course Zetterberg would likely have still played but there's not a chance Datsyuk would be playing.

The NHL could care less where the talent comes from. Do you know why your international talent comes to the NHL? It's because the NHL can offer them far more money than they could every hope to earn in their respective domestic league.

In the future if/when the NHL doesn't allow it's players to go to the Olympics we will still see the stars come to the NHL because they like money. Unless the domestic league's are willing to pay their stars NHL level salary or the players are willing to forgo millions of dollars to stay and have the right to play in the Olympics we won't see them in the Olympics.

When a player signs a contract the team paying his bills has the right to tell them where they can & can't play, assuming they are 100% healthy. Yao Ming wasn't allowed to play in the Olympics because of his injuries and the same should be happening here. An NHL player's #1 focus should be on helping his team and if he doesn't like the fact that he can't play in the Olympics he can go play in another league for far less money.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I hope people think Zetterbergs injury trouble was not something that come up in the OG. Its something that is related to his NHL career.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Do you know why your international talent comes to the NHL? It's because the NHL can offer them far more money than they could every hope to earn in their respective domestic league

Can't players make more money in the KHL? I would imagine the NHL is the most appealing league because it's where the best players in the world all come together and compete. The NHL offers international talent the chance to be the best hockey player they can be. The money is amazing if you're a top end player, certainly better than anything you'd get in the SEL, but it's not the only motivating factor.

If the Owners and GMs of the NHL are going to follow the same tune as you, I'm going to be really curious to see what happens in 2018 with players breaching contracts and what not. This is the Olympics. Not allowing athletes to represent their country, a source of tremendous pride for ANYONE IN ANY NATION (not just Swedes by the way), is a disgrace. It's a myopic business decision and it would be a real shame to never be able to see this level of excitement again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->