Zetterberg 7th in DRW scoring all time

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
So...Zetta just passed Datsuyk as number 7 in Detroits all time scoring list with 315 goals (reg season). Looks like his been 7th on the point total list too for a while.

He doesnt score goals that often nowdays, but seems to build a little hot streak lately. I read an article were he says he is allowed to skip some practice to save energy, which gives him more energy for the games.

Discuss...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Z looked pretty bad to start the year but lately he's been great. The Isles game has to be one of the best he's played in 2-3 years. He looked to be moving great, protecting the puck, making smart plays all over the rink and added some scoring.

The way he's able to hang on still is impressive. Makes you wonder how good he could have been if not for all those back issues.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Interesting. I just looked up the all-time list: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/detroit-red-wings-players-career-nhl-stats.html

Zetterberg should make it to # 5 in both goals and points on that list, barring a serious injury, steep decline, trade, or early(ish) retirement.

As a Leaf fan, I had never heard of Delvecchio, so it was interesting to see him so high on the list. His career numbers (in a vacuum) are more impressive than Ted Lindsay's, who almost every hockey fan has heard of thanks to the award.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
It took him a second to get going but he looks alot better so far this season. Whether or not he can keep it up is a different story but who expected him to lead the team in points?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Interesting. I just looked up the all-time list: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/detroit-red-wings-players-career-nhl-stats.html

Zetterberg should make it to # 5 in both goals and points on that list, barring a serious injury, steep decline, trade, or early(ish) retirement.

As a Leaf fan, I had never heard of Delvecchio, so it was interesting to see him so high on the list. His career numbers (in a vacuum) are more impressive than Ted Lindsay's, who almost every hockey fan has heard of thanks to the award.

Delvecchio had a looooong career, I assume that amongst the older fans he is well known. I know about him obviously, but not in detail. He's got his jersey #10 in the ceiling at Joe Louis. Maybe a true Detroit fan can tell us more what he means to the club. Should be a lot of history there. Of course there is also Wikipedia...

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Z is one of the greats from the last 100 years. It's interesting he would pass Pavel, very fitting twist to the euro-twins legacy. Hank is a superstar. I loved when Gretzky proclaimed him as his favorite Swedish player. There will never be another like him.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It took him a second to get going but he looks alot better so far this season. Whether or not he can keep it up is a different story but who expected him to lead the team in points?

If he can play into his 40s like datsyuk could. Get 30-40 points he could probably make third. Def 4th

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Z looked pretty bad to start the year but lately he's been great. The Isles game has to be one of the best he's played in 2-3 years. He looked to be moving great, protecting the puck, making smart plays all over the rink and added some scoring.

The way he's able to hang on still is impressive. Makes you wonder how good he could have been if not for all those back issues.

Many have had a rough time witnessing the injuries. Lots of feelings as a follower: sadness, frustration, anger. People have said some really stupid stuff but I think it's a reaction of shock viewing Zetter as a young man and now. He's never been the same and it's a mixed bag of emotions responding to that.

I for one am stopping my need to state negative opinions of Z's game. Yeah, the report is out- Zetter is not quite the player from 6 years ago. Instead look at the miraculous plays he creates. And hey his skating may be bad but it ain't Shane Doan bad! :laugh:

allpaths

Nov 30, 2016
Think he's finally made the adjustment to his game to remain competitive, plus he looks as healthy as he has in a long time. Obviously all time favorite, and I'm really going to enjoy him and kroners last couple of seasons as there'll be the unofficial end to an incredible era in drws history, God I miss datsyuk wish we could of had one more season together.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Think he's finally made the adjustment to his game to remain competitive, plus he looks as healthy as he has in a long time. Obviously all time favorite, and I'm really going to enjoy him and kroners last couple of seasons as there'll be the unofficial end to an incredible era in drws history, God I miss datsyuk wish we could of had one more season together.

Good for him and the team that he finds a way to be productive even if his legs isnt there. Not all players that you can say that about...

Altough it would maybe be better if everybody just sucked for a better draft position. Nah thats defeatist. I hope that the Wings somehow scrambles to another PO run...aand if they dont we take the early pick as consolation.

Last edited:

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Has anyone else noticed how much better he's been playing with Mantha and to a lesser extent Tatar on his line? I hope they keep that line together for a while. I also hope Mantha has done enough to stay up when everyone is healthy.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Has anyone else noticed how much better he's been playing with Mantha and to a lesser extent Tatar on his line? I hope they keep that line together for a while. I also hope Mantha has done enough to stay up when everyone is healthy.

Yeah he has skated much better and has been very energetic recently.

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that his improved play started around when mantha was put on his line. Probably.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Yeah he has skated much better and has been very energetic recently.

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that his improved play started around when mantha was put on his line. Probably.

Probably not, that lines possession has gone way way up since he started playing with Z and he has the best possession stats on the team by a bit, that's gonna lead to more offense.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
If he continues to play like this, I'd really rethink my take on the protection thing. Sure, sooner or later he's running out of gas.
But never expected him to bounce back like this after his endless struggles with his back. To me he's looking really sharp right now. A pleasure watching him play.

Contrary to that, Kronner's regression train is gathering speed - sadly. I really like him, and am still the opinion that he gets ripped on too much around here. Nothing to argue about him struggling more & more though. At the same time, I expect DDK to show more glances of offensive plays like yesterday. Not just backchecking well on a 3on3, but directly getting back into the offensive play & get in position to score. That was awesome.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Probably not, that lines possession has gone way way up since he started playing with Z and he has the best possession stats on the team by a bit, that's gonna lead to more offense.

They have been on fire.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Glad to see him working his way up the list. It's a bummer he's never going to win a Selke in his career. The guy deserves at least one or two.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Glad to see him working his way up the list. It's a bummer he's never going to win a Selke in his career. The guy deserves at least one or two.

Definitely deserved one for his 2007-2008 season.

That was one of the best individual seasons I had ever seen from one of our guys.

Z definitely deserves his number in the rafters. Dude's a first ballot hall of famer, and will have assembled a real illustrious career when he finally hangs them up all with the Red Wings.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Let's remember that the summer of 2015, Z was coming off back surgery and that would have affected his training. Summer16, he was healthy, got some rest and then worked his ass off. Glad to see it paying dividends. Its clear he is not the same player of 2009 but he is still the leader of this team and arguably the best player.

I'm glad to see some respect returning on this board.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Let's remember that the summer of 2015, Z was coming off back surgery and that would have affected his training. Summer16, he was healthy, got some rest and then worked his ass off. Glad to see it paying dividends. Its clear he is not the same player of 2009 but he is still the leader of this team and arguably the best player.

I'm glad to see some respect returning on this board.

Well, wait for it... The other shoe hasn't dropped yet.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

They have been on fire.

And Blashill the genius every now and then benches Mantha in favor of giving Jurco some shifts on that line. I distinctly remember two instances where Jurco was on that line where they ended up hemmed into the d-zone and we got penalties.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I love Zetterberg. I wish we would stop riding him like a rented mule, though.

Also if Glendening plays 19 min again, I'll start throwing things.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

That was one of the best individual seasons I had ever seen from one of our guys.

Z definitely deserves his number in the rafters. Dude's a first ballot hall of famer, and will have assembled a real illustrious career when he finally hangs them up all with the Red Wings.

Agreed.

I love me some Datsyuk but to me he was often the 2nd best two-way forward on the team. Or maybe more like Z was 1A and Dats was 1B.

These days Z is competing mostly by pure will and hockey smarts.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Mantha is actually doing what Abdelkader/Bertuzzi/Glendening were allegedly doing on top lines for years: creating space.

Mantha attracts a ton of attention wherever he goes and yet he can actually come up with puck, retain the puck to make a play, or effectively use his body to clear a lane for a shot. He did it last night on Zetterberg's goal. Went to the net and was basically a brick wall - kept the defender from blocking the shot or covering Zetterberg. That alone should help Zetterberg's longevity.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Yeah that 07-08 season was incredible, definitely his peak as a player (playoffs included)

40 goals, on pace for 100+ points, conn smythe

And to think Datsyuk was putting up 97 pt seasons along with him.

Those late 000s teams were awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad