NHL Entry Draft: Zemgus26's Mock Draft 2.0 (2 ROUNDS!)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Now that we are through 2 rounds of the playoffs and most of the draft positions are set, I decided it's time to do my 2nd - 2 round mock draft. I'm planning on doing my final one probably about 2 weeks before the draft. Feedback from my first mock was taken into consideration and once again would be much appreciated. Also, I didn't comment on why each pick would go as followed but if you want to know why I have a guy in a certain spot just ask. Anyways, here it goes:

1. :edmonton*- Connor McDavid (C)
2. :sabres*- Jack Eichel (C)
3. :coyotes*- Dylan Strome (C)
4. :leafs - Mitch Marner (C/RW)
5. :canes*- Noah Hanifin (LD)
6. :devils*- Mathew Barzal (C)
7. :flyers*- Pavel Zacha (C/LW)
8. :cbj - Ivan Provorov (LD)
9. :sharks*- Zach Werenski (RD)
10. :avs*- Lawson Crouse (LW)
11. :panthers - Mikko Rantanen (RW)
12. :stars*- Timo Meier (RW)
13.*:kings*- Kyle Connor (C)
14. :bruins*- Travis Konecny (C/RW)
15. :flames*- Jeremy Roy (RD)
16. :edmonton [VIA PIT] - Thomas Chabot (LD)
17. :jets - Nick Merkley (C/RW)
18. :sens - Oliver Kylington (LD)
19. :wings - Jansen Harkins (C)
20. :wild - Paul Bittner (LW)
21. :sabres [VIA NYI] - Evgeny Svechnikov (LW)
22. :caps - Brandon Carlo (RD)
23. :nucks - Jakub Zboril (LD)
24. :leafs [VIA NSH] - Colin White (C/RW)
25. :jets [VIA STL] - Jake DeBrusk (LW)
26. :habs - Joel Eriksson-Ek (C)
27. :coyotes [VIA CHI] - Brock Boeser (RW)
28. :flyers [VIA TBL] - Nicolas Meloche (RD)
29. :ducks*- Daniel Sprong (RW)
30. :bolts [VIA NYR] - Jeremy Bracco (C/RW)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
31. :sabres - Jacob Larsson (LD)
32. :coyotes - Noah Juulsen (RD)
33. :edmonton - Jordan Greenway (LW)
34. :cbj [VIA TOR] - Anthony Beauviller (C/LW)
35. :canes - Filip Chlapik (C)
36. :devils - Denis Guryanov (LW/RW)
37. :bruins [VIA PHI] - Gabriel Carlsson (LD)
38. :cbj - Ramsus Andersson (RD)
39. :sharks - Filip Ahl (LW/RW)
40. :avs - Vince Dunn (LD)
41. :devils [VIA FLA] - Daniel Vladar (G)
42. :sens [VIA DAL] - Thomas Novak (C)
43. :kings - Mitchell Vande Sompel (LD)
44. :bolts [VIA BOS] - Matthew Spencer (RD)
45. :flames - Nicolas Roy (C/RW)
46. :pens - Jack Roslovic (C/RW)
47. :jets - Travis Dermott (LD)
48. :sens - Zach Senyshyn (RW)
49. :stars [VIA DET] - Christian Fischer (LW)
50. :wild - MacKenzie Blackwood (G)
51. :sabres [VIA NYI] - Jesper Lindgren (RD)
52. :flames [VIA WAS] - Roope Hintz (F)
53. :flames [VIA VAN] - Erik Cernak (LD)
54. :nashville - Nikita Korostelev (RW)
55. :hawks [COMP.] - Jens Looke (LW/RW)
56. :blues - Alexander Dergachyov (C)
57. :edmonton [VIA MON] - Matej Tomek (G)
58. :flyers [VIA CHI] - Ilya Samsonov (G)
59. :rangers [VIA TBL] - Mitchell Stephens (C)
60. :cbj [VIA ANA] - Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (C)
61. Arizona [VIA NYR] - Veini Vehvilainen (G)

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
If the Blues can get Dergachyov at #56 it would be a shock. He probably goes way before that.

He would be an absolute steal if he fell that far (#40 on my actual list). But with all the talent at the top of this draft someones gotta fall lower than expected and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was Dergachyov due to the russian factor. That being said I could easily see him going as high as late 1st round and think St. Louis would have have a rather easy choice here as BPA and a positional need.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Pretty good. Definitely can see the top 15 going that way. Only real gripe is the omission of Pilon and Wagner.

Tbh, neither are in my top-60 rankings even (both close though).

I think Pilon is a bit overrated by most in general because he has some pretty good offensive numbers during the regular season --which have also gone down in the playoffs. Whenever I have seen him play though there is still some to be desired defensively.

Wagner just doesn't have a high enough potential to be a top-60 IMO, he will be a great 3rd rounder that has a solid chance of becoming a NHL'er, just would take the risk on some guys with higher offensive potential before him.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I cant see degrachyov falling that far.. also imagine sens take Looke with their second second but dont mind Senyshyn.. really wish Travis Dermott fell that one more spot though haha he'd be an amazing pick up for us

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I cant see degrachyov falling that far.. also imagine sens take Looke with their second second but dont mind Senyshyn.. really wish Travis Dermott fell that one more spot though haha he'd be an amazing pick up for us

Like I said, theres always a few fallers on draft day, I just have a hunch that he might be one of them :dunno: . Totally get where people are coming from on this and could realistically see him going as high as Toronto with their late 1st. Also, curious to here why you think Sens would take Looke over Senyshyn?

MooseDroppings

May 6, 2014
Oilers arent selecting a LHD

The list and placement are good, but if the Oilers retain the 16th overall, than they wont draft Chabot. They have more then enough LHD in the system including young stars Klefbom and Nurse. I believe Kylington is a lefty that plays RD.

Based on your top 15, Oilers will probably go with Kylington or C/RW Nick Merkley who probably is the BPA at this point in the draft.

Good 2nd Rounders. I think with Chiarelli, the Oilers will look to slow down the graduation process of their prospects by focusing in on College and Euro's the rest of the way.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
The list and placement are good, but if the Oilers retain the 16th overall, than they wont draft Chabot. They have more then enough LHD in the system including young stars Klefbom and Nurse. I believe Kylington is a lefty that plays RD.

Based on your top 15, Oilers will probably go with Kylington or C/RW Nick Merkley who probably is the BPA at this point in the draft.

Good 2nd Rounders. I think with Chiarelli, the Oilers will look to slow down the graduation process of their prospects by focusing in on College and Euro's the rest of the way.

Pick 16 was a hard choice for me because I knew this. After picking McDavid, I think the Oilers should target a RHD at 16 (I'm betting the end up trading it anyways though). Unfortunately, the ideal pick - Roy - I think will be taken right before them by Calgary.

The reason I gave Edmonton Chabot is because I feel he is the next best D. After him there is Kylington (LD I thought), Zboril (LD), and then the next best RD in my mind is Meloche but Chabot is much better than him IMO. So pretty much either take a better player from an already stronger side, or take a weaker player from a side of need. It was a tough call.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
3 goalies before Samsonov is... unlikely. I bet he's the first goalie off the board

Samsonov is my #1 rated goalie of this class. I just think goalies are unpredictable and teams view of who is #1 could vary from team to team. You could easily switch him and Vladar and that would be fine too, more the premise of a certain team taking A GOALIE rather then WHAT GOALIE.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Like I said, theres always a few fallers on draft day, I just have a hunch that he might be one of them :dunno: . Totally get where people are coming from on this and could realistically see him going as high as Toronto with their late 1st. Also, curious to here why you think Sens would take Looke over Senyshyn?

I think Looke has more Offensive upside. He's a more versatile player too in my opinion as in he can play both wings. plus theres always the swedish factor. Haha but honestly haven't watched much of Senyshyn from what I hear from scouting reports etc He's more of the same with what we have in Pageau/Lazar/Condra/Paul etc..

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Wayyy too many goalies. I don't see more than 3 in the 2nd, but IMO it shouldn't be more than two.

Last year 6 goalies were taken in the top 61 picks and I don't think that draft was particularily strong for goalies either. Once a goalie is taken it seems to act like dominoes with multiple teams trying to get someone from the top tiers. All the teams I chose could use a goalie, and quite frankly, I don't think 5 is a stretch at all.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I think Looke has more Offensive upside. He's a more versatile player too in my opinion as in he can play both wings. plus theres always the swedish factor. Haha but honestly haven't watched much of Senyshyn from what I hear from scouting reports etc He's more of the same with what we have in Pageau/Lazar/Condra/Paul etc..

Haha all very fair points that I agree with. I admittedly am very high on Senyshyn, although his numbers aren't great I feel that's largely due to the depth of the team he played on and therefore often playing in the bottom-6. I got to see Senyshyn more and maybe thats why overall I like him better than Looke, but think they'd both be good picks there.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Last year 6 goalies were taken in the top 61 picks and I don't think that draft was particularily strong for goalies either. Once a goalie is taken it seems to act like dominoes with multiple teams trying to get someone from the top tiers. All the teams I chose could use a goalie, and quite frankly, I don't think 5 is a stretch at all.

Last draft is not this draft and comparing the two is superfluous. The goaltenders last year, while not deep, were much better than this year.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Last draft is not this draft and comparing the two is superfluous. The goaltenders last year, while not deep, were much better than this year.

I guess that's where our opinions are different then. I think last years goalies were nothing amazing either and was only slightly better than this year (Hence why unlike last year where many went early 2nd, I have them going late 2nd). I don't agree with taking goalies in the first 2 rounds anyways, but I just believe it will have at least 4 in the top 61. I guess we will see.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Nice to see Vande Sompel finally get some love in a mock. Dude is seriously underrated and could be an absolute steal.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Well done. I like the looks of this mock a lot. The only change I would make would be that I'd have Yan in the 2nd round somewhere, at the expense of one of the goalies or Cernak.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Well done. I like the looks of this mock a lot. The only change I would make would be that I'd have Yan in the 2nd round somewhere, at the expense of one of the goalies or Cernak.

Thanks, appreciate it. Just recently I had Yan in this mock to Chicago until I think it was Dermott who suddenly started rising fast and I guess knocked him off. The guy is in my top-60 rankings though, and I could definitely see him going mid-late 2nd instead of one of the goalies.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
That's bad for the Kings. Dean doesn't like the development staff/system of the University of Michigan so the Kings won't be taking Connor. The Kings are low on offensive forwards and loaded on defense. The LA management are really high on Zacha but if doesn't fall look for them to take Konecny or Svechnikov with the 13th overall.

In the second round LA will be looking for another forward....Ahl, Dergachyov, Roy, Senyshyn or someone who falls (like Zykov did). The Kings will only be looking at a D-man if a top guy falls (like McKeown last year).

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Cannot fathom NJ taking a goalie. Set in net for awhile with Schneider, no need to spend a 2nd round pick on one right now. Maybe in a few years.

We will go 2 forwards and 1 defense with our top 3 picks, I'd imagine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad