Zemgus26's 2 Round Mock Draft

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
So now that the draft order is starting to be more clear with the regular season over I decided to give this a try. I'll be doing a 2 round mock though as I feel in the second round is where teams start to pick more based on their needs and wanted to get a better idea which teams I'm a bit off on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated so here it goes!

1. :sabres - Connor McDavid (C)
2. :coyotes - Jack Eichel (C)
3. :edmonton - Noah Hanifin (LD)
4. :leafs - Dylan Strome (C)
5. :canes - Mitch Marner (C/RW)
6. :devils - Mathew Barzal (C)
7. :flyers - Mikko Rantanen (RW)
8. :cbj - Ivan Provorov (LD)
9. :sharks - Kyle Connor (C)
10. :avs - Lawson Crouse (LW)
11. :panthers - Pavel Zacha (C/LW)
12. :stars - Zach Werenski (RD)
13. :kings - Timo Meier (C/RW)
14. :bruins - Travis Konecny (C/RW)
15. :edmonton [VIA PIT] - Paul Bittner (LW)
16. :flames - Jeremy Roy (RD)
17. :jets - Nick Merkley (C/RW)
18. :sens - Oliver Kylington (LD)
19. :wings - Jansen Harkins (C)
20. :wild - Evgeny Svechnikov (LW)
21. :sabres [VIA NYI] Brock Boeser (RW)
22. :caps - Brandon Carlo (RD)
23. :nucks - Jakub Zboril (LD)
24. :coyotes [VIA CHI] - Daniel Sprong (RW)
25. :leafs [VIA NSH] - Colin White (C/RW)
26. :flyers [VIA TBL] - Thomas Chabot (LD)
27. :jets [VIA STL] - Jake DeBrusk (LW)
28. :habs*- Nicolas Meloche (RD)
29. :ducks*- Anthony Beauviller (C/LW)
30. :bolts [VIA NYR] - Jeremy Bracco [C/RW)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
31. :sabres - Jacob Larsson (LD)
32. :coyotes - Noah Juulsen (RD)
33. :edmonton - Joel Eriksson-Ek (C)
34. :cbj [VIA TOR] - Filip Chlapik (C)
35. :canes - Rasmus Andersson (RD)
36. :devils - Nikita Korostelev (RW)
37. :bruins [VIA PHI] - Tom Novak (C)
38. :cbj - Jordan Greenway (LW)
39. :sharks - Jesper Lindgren (RD)
40. :avs - Vince Dunn (LD)
41. :devils [VIA FLA] - Daniel Vladar (G)
42. :sens [VIA DAL] - Filip Ahl (LW)
43. :kings - Mitchell Vande Sompel (LD)
44. :bolts [VIA BOS] - Matthew Spencer (RD)
45. :pens - Alex Dergachyov (C)
46. :flames - Zach Senyshyn (RW)
47. :jets - Gabriel Carlsson (LD)
48. :sens - Roope Hintz (F)
49. :stars [VIA DET] - Jens Looke (LW/RW)
50. :wild - MacKenzie Blackwood (G)
51. :sabres [VIA NYI] - Christian Fischer (LW)
52. :flames [VIA WAS] - Erik Cernak (LD)
53. :flames [VIA VAN] - Nicolas Roy (C/RW)
54. :hawks [COMPENSATION] - Jack Roslovic (C/RW)
55. :flyers [VIA CHI] - Dennis Yan (LW)
56. :nashville - Blake Speers (C/RW)
57. :rangers [VIA TBL] - Ryan Pilon (LD)
58. :blues - Denis Guryanov (LW/RW)
59. :edmonton [VIA MON] - Ilya Samsonov (G)
60. :cbj [VIA ANA] - Sebastian Aho (LD)
61. Arizona [VIA NYR] - Matej Tomek (G)

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't think it's very likely that Werenski gets by the Sharks. I like Kyle Connor, but Werenski is not only our biggest need, but also an NCAA defenseman, which the Sharks love. Fine with Lindgren. No one behind him I'd say is head and shoulders ahead, although I might prefer Dunn or Vande Sompel.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I don't think it's very likely that Werenski gets by the Sharks. I like Kyle Connor, but Werenski is not only our biggest need, but also an NCAA defenseman, which the Sharks love. Fine with Lindgren. No one behind him I'd say is head and shoulders ahead, although I might prefer Dunn or Vande Sompel.

Werenski was my next option for the Sharks. I was just thinking that San Jose's forward corpse seems to be getting a little old and adding Connor would be a big addition to rebuilding their top-six. Also, Connor I feel is a very underrated player, IMO a top-10 player who rarely gets mentioned going that high. Either or would be great choices there though!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Werenski was my next option for the Sharks. I was just thinking that San Jose's forward corpse seems to be getting a little old and adding Connor would be a big addition to rebuilding their top-six. Also, Connor I feel is a very underrated player, IMO a top-10 player who rarely gets mentioned going that high. Either or would be great choices there though!

I love Connor and I certainly wouldn't blink if we picked him, but the Sharks real need is at D. It's true that we need replacements for Thornton and Marleau, but what we need more than that is a potential #1 defenseman. And the question then becomes, does Connor have the upside to replace either of Thornton or Marleau? If he doesn't, then picking him wouldn't really be addressing that problem, would it. He obviously doesn't have Thornton upside, and I kinda doubt he has Marleau upside either. Marleau will have 500+ goals and 1000+ points by the time he's done.

Besides, the Sharks have Hertl, Goldobin, Nieto, Tierney as 20 year old forwards. They have Mueller and.... nobody on D, and Mueller's upside is not top-pairing in my opinion. Vlasic's 28, so's Braun, Burns is 30, Dillon is 24. Everything else is pretty meh.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Five teams that I like in this mock draft;

Oilers: Hanifin, Bittner, Eriksson Ek and Samsonov.
Coyotes: Eichel, Sprong, Juulsen and Tomek.
Devils: Barzal, Korostelev and Vladar.
Sabres: McDavid, Boeser, Larsson and Fischer.
Jets: Merkley, DeBrusk and Carlsson.

Although personally I think Eriksson Ek, Juulsen and Carlsson might go earlier during the draft than in this mock.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Five teams that I like in this mock draft;

Oilers: Hanifin, Bittner, Eriksson Ek and Samsonov.
Coyotes: Eichel, Sprong, Juulsen and Tomek.
Devils: Barzal, Korostelev and Vladar.
Sabres: McDavid, Boeser, Larsson and Fischer.
Jets: Merkley, DeBrusk and Carlsson.

Although personally I think Eriksson Ek, Juulsen and Carlsson might go earlier during the draft than in this mock.

This draft being so deep makes it great for teams in the top-60 often like the 5 you listed. Allows them to get some great players at all different positions or really strengthen weak positions.

Eriksson-Ek I have in my top-30 players (and could very well see him going there), just in this mock I felt some teams would go for players that I believe are below EK to fit a need. Ex) Montreal with Meloche. Juulsen is a guy quickly rising on my list, don't think he is a top-30 player quite yet but a team would be very happy early in the second. As for Carlsson, I have seen him anywhere between mid-1st to early-3rd in mocks. I like his game, think he's very solid, I just don't see tons of upside compared to some others available early-2nd so I think he may not go in the top-40 or so.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd be plenty happy with Zboril for the Canucks. Good fit, good value.

So depressing scrolling through the rest with all those nice prospects and no more Canucks picks though. :cry:

Not your fault though. :laugh:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Don't think the Sharks pass on Werenski.

Haha okay that's 2 Sharks fans for Werenski. Think Connor would be a good choice for them too but understand why Werenski would be who the Sharks should take. Will defentiely consider doing that in my next mock, thanks for the feedback.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Haha okay that's 2 Sharks fans for Werenski. Think Connor would be a good choice for them too but understand why Werenski would be who the Sharks should take. Will defentiely consider doing that in my next mock, thanks for the feedback.

I really like Connor also. Would not be angry at the pick. I just feel that the need for a defender is much greater than that of a forward.

Divine Wind

Not a fan of the Eriksson-Ek pick at that spot and i hate the Bittner pick completely, i wouldn't take him at 33, let alone 16.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Can see the Oilers going after a guy like Bittner that early in the draft. I see them trying to grab a two-way center in White or Harkins.

I don't know much about Eriksson, can anyone help me out?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Not a fan of the Eriksson-Ek pick at that spot and i hate the Bittner pick completely, i wouldn't take him at 33, let alone 16.

Eriksson-Ek is a guy whose stock his risen quite a bit this year to the point that he has entered many peoples top-30. Don't think he would be a bad pick (value wise especially) for Edmonton there at all.

Bittner, I know he's a bit of a stretch value wise there but I also think it would be really stupid if Edmonton didn't take him if he dropped to 33. For what he brings, he is no doubt IMO a top-30 player in this draft. I just thought Edmonton would take a risk on him that high as although they have a lot of skill up front but need more size and I think Bittner has enough skill to warrant a pick there.

Thanks for the feedback though. Curious to hear who you would pick at both of those spots if the draft played out like this though?

Divine Wind

Eriksson-Ek is a guy whose stock his risen quite a bit this year to the point that he has entered many peoples top-30. Don't think he would be a bad pick (value wise especially) for Edmonton there at all.

Oh i don't think he would be a bad pick either, I think he is a very safe bet to become a regular NHLer. It just comes down to I prefer others at this spot.

1) Christian Fischer.
2) Matthew Spencer
3) Gabriel Carlsson

I have Fischer rated way higher and i don't think he will last to where you have him going. He is a big power winger that can score and plays a high energy game. He would be my ultimate choice here.

Bittner, I know he's a bit of a stretch value wise there but I also think it would be really stupid if Edmonton didn't take him if he dropped to 33. For what he brings, he is no doubt IMO a top-30 player in this draft. I just thought Edmonton would take a risk on him that high as although they have a lot of skill up front but need more size and I think Bittner has enough skill to warrant a pick there.

Thanks for the feedback though. Curious to hear who you would pick at both of those spots if the draft played out like this though?

I have a completely different opinion of Bittner. He plays with of the 2 top scoring forwards in the WHL with Petan and Bjorkstrand. He is not a driver on this line and more of a passenger. Yes he is a big body, but he is far from assertive. Good board play but i rank him more in line with Greenway. A big body and a project with some red flags for me. I view way too many players at this point in the draft and here is a list of how i view it as far as your curiosity.

1) Jeremy Roy
2) Evgeny Svechnikov
3) Colin White
4) Jansen Harkins
5) Brock Boeser
6) Nicolas Meloche

Last edited by a moderator:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Very happy with this from the Stars' perspective. :)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Can see the Oilers going after a guy like Bittner that early in the draft. I see them trying to grab a two-way center in White or Harkins.

I don't know much about Eriksson, can anyone help me out?

If you want a good 2-way C, Eriksson is that. Projects as a 2nd or 3rd line C with good hockey IQ and a strong compete level. Pretty-well rounded it all parts of the game. He's not an offensive juggernaut but a solid choice anywhere from the last-1st on.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Oh i don't think he would be a bad pick either, I think he is a very safe bet to become a regular NHLer. It just comes down to I prefer others at this spot.

1) Christian Fischer.
2) Matthew Spencer
3) Gabriel Carlsson

I have Fischer rated way higher and i don't think he will last to where you have him going. He is a big power winger that can score and plays a high energy game. He would be my ultimate choice here.

I have a completely different opinion of Bittner. He plays with of the 2 top scoring forwards in the WHL with Petan and Bjorkstrand. He is not a driver on this line and more of a passenger. Yes he is a big body, but he is far from assertive. Good board play but i rank him more in line with Greenway. A big body and a project with some red flags for me. I view way too many players at this point in the draft and here is a list of how i view it as far as your curiosity.

1) Jeremy Roy
2) Evgeny Svechnikov
3) Colin White
4) Jansen Harkins
5) Brock Boeser
6) Nicolas Meloche

Fair points. Now that I think about I kinda like the idea of switching Svechnikov and Bittner. :laugh: (although I still believe Bittner is still a better pick [STYLE AND POSITION WISE] then the others you listed that you would rather have.

As for Eriksson-Ek, I still think a good two-way C like him would be a better fit there over Fischer, Spencer and Carlsson (value AND position wise). I'm admittedly not that high on Spencer and Carlsson though and think he's a bit above Fischer.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I don't think the Devils take a goalie in the 2nd round, if at all.

Really? Seems like New Jersey doesn't have great depth in their system or a really high end propsect in net, unless I'm missing someone? After taking 2 high potential forwards to start I thought a top goalie would be a better pick than just another defenseman. I know they have Schneider, but it seems they could use a guy of Vladars level.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
m
Really? Seems like New Jersey doesn't have great depth in their system or a really high end propsect in net, unless I'm missing someone? After taking 2 high potential forwards to start I thought a top goalie would be a better pick than just another defenseman. I know they have Schneider, but it seems they could use a guy of Vladars level.

Too much need at forward and they are set with Cory and Kinkaid.

Jury is still out on Wedgewood in the AHL but I would be shocked if they took a netminder in rounds 1-3 and surprised if they drafted one at all.

HammerTime44

Flyers-Phillies-Packers-LH44
Feb 11, 2014
Philadelphia
Don't mind Rantanen just would rather have Crouse or Zacha and I'd rather take Meloche over Chabot just because Meloche is right handed.

MPStoEberletoHall*

If you want a good 2-way C, Eriksson is that. Projects as a 2nd or 3rd line C with good hockey IQ and a strong compete level. Pretty-well rounded it all parts of the game. He's not an offensive juggernaut but a solid choice anywhere from the last-1st on.

Sounds like a whole lot of Anton Lander in his draft year. Is there any comparison there?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Sounds like a whole lot of Anton Lander in his draft year. Is there any comparison there?

Don't know enough about Lander to really comment on a comparison...but if Lander was like that then yes, there is a comparison :laugh:. IMO Eriksson-Ek will end up a better player than him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad