Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thing is, hard mode doesn't even sound interesting or fun.

If they changed up how Beasts are completed, bosses were fought or enemy placements overall that would be a different story.

But more spongy enemies is just meh.

It ought to make managing your weapons a bit more interesting though.

The only thing I think ought to be dramatically improved in the next Zelda game is the combat. No need to go all Dark Souls but having a bit more depth would be really nice.

I understand that isn't really part of the philosophy that drives the design of Nintendo games however.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The one gameplay mechanic I really didn't like was the breakable weapons. I just find it annoying and it doesn't really add much to the game other than maybe adding some variety to the encounters. It also ends up making the rewards in a lot of situations seem pretty weak. I end up just leaving the weapons I find in shrine treasure chests most of the time because they're weaker than what I'm carrying. I think it's better to make weapons actually important/significant.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The first thing they need to do to enhance the combat is add a dodge move that actually works consistently. The timing window for this dodge is one of the most vague and inconsistent I've ever encountered in ANY game. The exact same timing, for the exact same attack, from the exact same enemy type can vary so wildly.

I've given up even attempting to consistently dodge the White Haired Lynel attacks. Now I just pack like 8 heart-boosting meals and wear them down. I KNOW I'm going to get hit for massive damage regardless of how obsessive I get with my timing, it's just easier to spend 5 minutes farming Dorion fruit.

As far as the breaking weapons, I don't mind it in concept, but the balance is off. Weapons break so fast, but acquiring new GOOD weapons is too infrequent.

So you end up saving your good weapons for big encounters (or maybe not even though, depending on how anxious you are about another bigger, tougher encounter around the corner), and just cycle through the crap that enemies drop for every day use.

At least until you get the legendary weapons, which you can at least have repaired.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So how does one defeat the Guardians? When they were stuck in the ground, I simply avoided them. But now they're mobile, and I've got no clue how to deal with them.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
So how does one defeat the Guardians? When they were stuck in the ground, I simply avoided them. But now they're mobile, and I've got no clue how to deal with them.

Once you get in close they're easy. Crossing the gap without getting nailed can be tricky.

You can either try to parry their beam blast with a shield (glowy blue guardian shields can withstand it, most other shields will break but leave you alive). Even better or easier than that, just walk up to them with your bow drawn and reticule lined up at the level of their eye, shoot them in the eye and it does more damage AND interrupts the beam charge. So just walk, shoot, walk, shoot, then get up on them, start wailing, when you hear them charging, back up a bit, shoot another arrow at their eye, continue.

Also, once you upgrade Stasis on the Shiekah slate, you can use that on enemies. Freezing them will buy you some time to get to cover, cross the gap or line up your arrow shot.

Oh, and hack their legs off before you kill them. They give you more ancient materials.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Ancient Arrows are the way to go. OHKO with an eye shot, and because they're so cheap materials-wise, they pay for themselves and then some after one guardian kill.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I figured if he was early enough to wonder how to deal with Guardians, he was probably too early to have the resources necessary to get the ancient weapons from the lab. :laugh:

Maybe not, tho.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, I just got the camera upgrade for the slate, so I'm thinking any ancient weapons are still a ways off.

I made the post after finding a tower that had 4-5 Guardians surrounding it. It was bad enough trying to get to the tower, but climbing it while avoiding the lasers was even worse.

Seemed like whenever I'd get nailed with a shot, I'd have another or two lined up immediately after because the animation for getting off the ground takes so long.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Yeah, I just got the camera upgrade for the slate, so I'm thinking any ancient weapons are still a ways off.

I made the post after finding a tower that had 4-5 Guardians surrounding it. It was bad enough trying to get to the tower, but climbing it while avoiding the lasers was even worse.

Seemed like whenever I'd get nailed with a shot, I'd have another or two lined up immediately after because the animation for getting off the ground takes so long.

Yeah, I just worked my way through them on the ground using cover and arrows to blind/stun them.

Not gonna lie, having a Wolf Link with 20 hearts to help attack and distract them helped a fair bit too. :laugh:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I think that's one of the towers I just avoided until I had Revali's Gale. It makes some of the more difficult towers really easy. There's a couple of more like that that are hard to get to.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Speaking of Revali's Gale, I finally did the Rito dungeon as my 2nd dungeon completion (after unlocking 80-odd shrines and 120 odd Korok seeds.... yes, it's easy to get side-tracked in this game :laugh:) and MAN, I wish I had this ability earlier.

In particular, when combined with the upgraded Statis,some endura carrots, and lots of bomb arrows, it makes cheesing Lynels a BREEZE. Doubly so when you have the Rito or Lynel spread-bows on hand.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The first thing they need to do to enhance the combat is add a dodge move that actually works consistently. The timing window for this dodge is one of the most vague and inconsistent I've ever encountered in ANY game. The exact same timing, for the exact same attack, from the exact same enemy type can vary so wildly.

I've given up even attempting to consistently dodge the White Haired Lynel attacks. Now I just pack like 8 heart-boosting meals and wear them down. I KNOW I'm going to get hit for massive damage regardless of how obsessive I get with my timing, it's just easier to spend 5 minutes farming Dorion fruit.

As far as the breaking weapons, I don't mind it in concept, but the balance is off. Weapons break so fast, but acquiring new GOOD weapons is too infrequent.

So you end up saving your good weapons for big encounters (or maybe not even though, depending on how anxious you are about another bigger, tougher encounter around the corner), and just cycle through the crap that enemies drop for every day use.

At least until you get the legendary weapons, which you can at least have repaired.

that's what I do. i pop in some hearty durians, and I either do
Barbarian Suit with Attack Bufff potion (so it goes faster)
OR
Barbarian Suit with Defensive Buff (so i don't get punched too badly)

the only times i can do it with success is with the Waterblight Ganon (and even then - it's not consistent), or when I am beating up a red hair lynel/blue hair lynel because those attacks are a bit more easy to trigger the Matrix move. I said this before - they should have had the system like Twilight Princess that you can LEARN the move and when you go perform the action - the prompt comes up.

I have 3 game files - and in my very first one, I have some of the most amazing weapons ever. a lot of my favourite weapons with attack power up (so like a Thunder Great Blade with 50 attack etc, BigGoron sword with 52 power). and I don't want to use ANY of them. It's not so much i can't get them back (the BigGoron sword could take a miracle since that was an amiibo scan) it's that the stats aren't worth it. I don't care about long throw.. I care about durability + attack power.

if Ayomoua + Miyamoto are to be believed and this is the future of Zelda: weapon REPAIR. (also. a "toolbox" screen. I do not, and will never consider a Korok Leaf, a Torch, a Drillbit, a Sledgehammer and an Axe melee weapons.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

this one was the most harrowing. :laugh: I think i've always had at least the climbing bandana, and a hasty potion, so it was climb, jump jump jump, into the next ledge. (where you are never in trouble unless you stand ;) )

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Agreed with both of you on the dodging. I don't even bother trying to get the dodge/flurry rush anymore, I just go with the perfect guard. The animations make a bit more sense with the perfect guard as opposed to dodging which is just completely arbitrary.

Is there actually someone at Nintendo saying motion controls in the shrines are fun? I just had to finish the one where you roll the three balls into the slots at the same time, almost wanted to break the joycons.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Agreed with both of you on the dodging. I don't even bother trying to get the dodge/flurry rush anymore, I just go with the perfect guard. The animations make a bit more sense with the perfect guard as opposed to dodging which is just completely arbitrary.

Is there actually someone at Nintendo saying motion controls in the shrines are fun? I just had to finish the one where you roll the three balls into the slots at the same time, almost wanted to break the joycons.

Ha, try doing any motion control with a pro controller. It's even more awkward and not fun.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
After taking a week and change off since beating the game with 100% shrines here are some improvements that I'd want for the next game.

Before I start, this game still gets a 10/10 in my books.

More variety on melee weapon archetypes. I don't mind that there are Swords, Great Sword, Spears and Boomerangs, but the move set didn't change for a single one of those archetypes with regards to weapons in those class. For example, the Chainsaw that I bought from Robbie and co acts just like every other great sword archetype. I wish it had at least some uniqueness to it considering it was vastly different looking from other weapons...and it was a chainsaw.

The Souls series for example(Demon,Dark, BloodBorne) will give you weapons that might have the exact same attacks set as other weapons but there will be one unique attack about them(boss weapons generally). So maybe they could have had something that once you're done your spin charge with chainsaw link does a chainsaw animation for more damage. I think it would add to the diversity and excitement of getting weapons.

I miss the anticipation of opening up a rare-chest. Could it be a heart piece? Could it be a new weapon to beat a dungeon? Now I'm not saying bring back that dungeon item chest because I love how you can solve everything from the very beginning, what I mean is that I hit a point early on when the chests no longer got me excited. I'd know it was a weapon I'd already seen, rupees, ancient cores, arrows etc. Only time I got really excited was when I got a piece of armour, needed more things like that IMO.

Let you take your sheikah slate to another level even. Let it have even more upgradeable parts, let you upgrade the magnet allowing you to carry even larger objects etc. Feel like they just gave it to you with the essentials and they had minimal upgrades(not all were).

Let you call your horse ANYWHERE on the map. I don't think a single person would have a complaint about this, but that's just me.

Shock Arrows effect water, fire/bomb arrows effect grass and explosive crates, why can't ice arrows effect the environment? Unless someone knows how they do, because I never got it to work, even in water lol.

That's all I have for now.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Ha, try doing any motion control with a pro controller. It's even more awkward and not fun.

ditto with the gamepad on the Wiiu. I was twisting it all over. ughhh.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Killed a White Lynel and got a Savage Lynel Crusher with 107 damage! Highest attack damage Ive seen so far by 24 pts.

What are your highest damage weapons?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Makes sense. Is there a consensus best DPS melee weapon in the game?

I seem to have the most success with the one-handed broadswords w/ attk up bonus to 60.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I wish I had this for the Switch and not Wii U. I'm in West Virginia for a conference and there's not much to do around here once the day is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad