Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Thanks guys for all the tips!

Ended up grinding a bit for some money and bought the Warrior armor, upgraded 2 of 3 (just by the 1st fairy). That should definitely help a bit.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Ended up grinding a bit for some money and bought the Warrior armor, upgraded 2 of 3 (just by the 1st fairy). That should definitely help a bit.

By warrior armor do you mean barbarian armor? I found two out of three pieces of the barbarian armor doing maze shrines. I still need to do the last maze to get the barbarian chest piece, but I'll get to that after I finish the 2nd and 3rd trial to bump up my master sword damage from 40 to 50 t0 60

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
By warrior armor do you mean barbarian armor? I found two out of three pieces of the barbarian armor doing maze shrines. I still need to do the last maze to get the barbarian chest piece, but I'll get to that after I finish the 2nd and 3rd trial to bump up my master sword damage from 40 to 50 t0 60
Correction, i meant Soldier's Armor I bought.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

To each their own with this, but i'd recommend having at least one full extra stamina wheel after you get to 8-10 hearts. Some other poster said something along the lines of it not being necessary but i strongly disagree.

Having at least one extra wheel of stamina goes such a long way not only for the climbing/exploring portion of the game (which is basically the whole point of the game) but it goes a long way in combat too. Being able to have that extra time to do the slow-mo arrow shots is crucial. Especially when you start coming up against the bigger baddies.

The specific ratio to hearts vs stamina is up to your play style but my advice is to make sure you're not neglecting stamina. I have two full extra wheels (so 3 total) and will probably leave it there. It's also MUCH easier to cook food that gives you +8, +10, +12 extra hearts than it is to find the materials you need for extra stamina.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
To each their own with this, but i'd recommend having at least one full extra stamina wheel after you get to 8-10 hearts. Some other poster said something along the lines of it not being necessary but i strongly disagree.

Having at least one extra wheel of stamina goes such a long way not only for the climbing/exploring portion of the game (which is basically the whole point of the game) but it goes a long way in combat too. Being able to have that extra time to do the slow-mo arrow shots is crucial. Especially when you start coming up against the bigger baddies.

The specific ratio to hearts vs stamina is up to your play style but my advice is to make sure you're not neglecting stamina. I have two full extra wheels (so 3 total) and will probably leave it there. It's also MUCH easier to cook food that gives you +8, +10, +12 extra hearts than it is to find the materials you need for extra stamina.
I said that, I used the slow Mo horse jump all the time, in fact I probably used my horse way more than most people. While I could have used a bit more time, I think having the hearts was more important. My general point is that stamina really isn't worth it early on, especially when several areas in the main game like gerudo desert and Zora domain have almost no climbing due to game mechanics+death mountain which has a direct path that requires nearly no climbing.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I said that, I used the slow Mo horse jump all the time, in fact I probably used my horse way more than most people. While I could have used a bit more time, I think having the hearts was more important. My general point is that stamina really isn't worth it early on, especially when several areas in the main game like gerudo desert and Zora domain have almost no climbing due to game mechanics+death mountain which has a direct path that requires nearly no climbing.

Maybe it's just a play-style difference between us then. I think the exploratory-adventure aspect of BOTW is just as much an important and fun aspect of the game as the combat (if not more so). Not being able to reach pretty basic climbs or glide for longer is IMO the biggest change between the early game and the mid/late game. I also use my horses only about 1/3rd of the time so maybe you're making up for the distance there.

AT LEAST one extra stamina wheel though. For sure. Damage is scaled up at a certain point anyway so if you have 14 hearts or 20 hearts, getting clocked with a Lynel sword is going to wipe most of your hearts out regardless. And again, it's much easier to farm Durians and Radish for extra hearts than it is to make stamina boost elixers

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Maybe it's just a play-style difference between us then. I think the exploratory-adventure aspect of BOTW is just as much an important and fun aspect of the game as the combat (if not more so). Not being able to reach pretty basic climbs or glide for longer is IMO the biggest change between the early game and the mid/late game. I also use my horses only about 1/3rd of the time so maybe you're making up for the distance there.

AT LEAST one extra stamina wheel though. For sure. Damage is scaled up at a certain point anyway so if you have 14 hearts or 20 hearts, getting clocked with a Lynel sword is going to wipe most of your hearts out regardless. And again, it's much easier to farm Durians and Radish for extra hearts than it is to make stamina boost elixers
I did play somewhat unorthodox but to be clear, I was at +1 stamina upgrade and for my first 60 shrines. Its a lot easier to explore with the base stamina than you think. What's "a full wheel", I wouldn't even know since I upgraded relatively late in my playthrough, maybe 3 upgrades? That doesn't sound too much, I would still upgrade hearts exclusively early. Maybe till the 10-12 (or 13 really) heart mark.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I did play somewhat unorthodox but to be clear, I was at +1 stamina upgrade and for my first 60 shrines. Its a lot easier to explore with the base stamina than you think. What's "a full wheel", I wouldn't even know since I upgraded relatively late in my playthrough, maybe 3 upgrades? That doesn't sound too much, I would still upgrade hearts exclusively early. Maybe till the 10-12 (or 13 really) heart mark.

16 Spirt Orbs=4 Stamina Vessels=1 Full Additional Wheel of Stamina

Also, the game may "easy" to explore with base-stamina, but not being able to get the most out of your climbing and gliding while navigating Hyrule seems to miss a major point of the game.

We just have different playstyles and a difference of opinion, nbd

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
just started and beat my first divine beast ruta, not sure why I waited so long to try this out...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thread kinda inspired me to finally jump on the expansion pass. The trials are such a pain in the ass lol. Didn't realize I'd need so many damn arrows.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I had an itch for some Zelda, so I picked up my WiiU from my cousin.

I had The Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild, and say 'I haven't played TWW since like 2015, I'll do that first.'

I got through the Forbidden Woods, then lost interest, that was three weeks ago.

I waited a bit and threw on BOTW.

So far:

9 hearts
+1.2 stamina wheel
47 shrines
66 Korok seeds
Vah Ruta

The best way is to try to get to a full extra stamina wheel as quickly as possible, then you can slow play your way to the second wheel as you build hearts.

I like to go S-H-S-S-H-S-S-H-H-S and so on.

That and the Korok seeds - don't neglect the Korok seeds.

I'm almost certainly gonna finish it in 2-3 weeks.

My third playthrough and the game is still awesome and I'm still discovering new things.

I can find something to love about just about every Zelda game but I don't know what it is about this game, I think it's because BOTW feels like the Zelda game we were promised for 10+ years.

Ocarina of Time was Ocarina of Time, and it was my favorite game for like a decade.

Majora's Mask was cool, but it was OOT with masks.

Wind Waker was OOT with a cartoony art style on the ocean.

Twilight Princess was OOT with a gritty art style and you can turn into a wolf.

Skyward Sword was OOT with motion controls.

I love all of these games, even Skyward Sword, but they're all just more of the same. I think I like BOTW more just because it feels a lot more fresh; it's an open world game, but it doesn't fall victim to many open world game trappings ('?' marks everywhere that are always enemy groups, corners of the world that are empty, suspect gameplay, too many similar quests etc.,).

It isn't perfect and there's a few things I'd fix (I'd like to be able to stash away and easily access some of the weapons I've found (a stash box at each tower maybe?), full voice acting, a couple of 'traditional' dungeons and a more diverse soundtrack) but it nails everything else.

It's not the best game I've ever played, or my favorite game (that's Witcher 3: Wild Hunt), but it's right there.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Wind Waker was pretty great on GameCube. to me it's up there with the best ones in the series. only problem was the sailing tedium.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Wind Waker was pretty great on GameCube. to me it's up there with the best ones in the series. only problem was the sailing tedium.

Zelda is like the pizza of games, even when it's not that good its still better than 90% of what's out there. Final Fantasy is like seafood, when it hits it hits hard but when it misses you're sick for a week.

But of those games I listed I like Wind Waker the least, not because of the artstyle which is beautiful, or the sailing, but because its just way too easy.

Of the games I listed all of them are 'easy', except Skyward Sword, which is 'difficult' because of the wonky controls.

BOTW is hard only if you charge in like Galahad, Majora's Mask has a few tough levels, and OOT and TP aren't exactly brain busters here, but I bet my little niece in kindergarten could beat Wind Waker.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Zelda is like the pizza of games, even when it's not that good its still better than 90% of what's out there. Final Fantasy is like seafood, when it hits it hits hard but when it misses you're sick for a week.

But of those games I listed I like Wind Waker the least, not because of the artstyle which is beautiful, or the sailing, but because its just way too easy.

Of the games I listed all of them are 'easy', except Skyward Sword, which is 'difficult' because of the wonky controls.

BOTW is hard only if you charge in like Galahad, Majora's Mask has a few tough levels, and OOT and TP aren't exactly brain busters here, but I bet my little niece in kindergarten could beat Wind Waker.

well...they are kinda aimed at kids are they not?? I'm not sure difficulty was front of mind when they designed the Zelda games.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
BotW, Ocarina, and Windwaker are my favorites. Windwaker, yeah is a bit dry when it comes to the ocean navigation but the total package of the art style, characters, and level design is just infectiously charming.

Agreed that BotW does have some problems but it's my favorite of the series. Yeah I'd like there to be better and bigger dungeons than just the divine beasts and a more compelling storyline. But man, it has the absolute best open world of any game imo. And enemy combat could be a bit more dynamic. Aaaand some games do certain elements a little better (The Witcher 3 with better city designs (kind of unfair since BotW doesn't have cities but TW3's cities are gorgeous), GTA 5 with better NPCs).

The thing is BotW is my ultimate unwind game that I find myself returning to often. Immersing myself in the wilderness of Hyrule, exploring destinations I've already explored to death, climbing up hills and mountains and jumping off for a scenic glide, occasionally jumping into fights or collecting resources. There's a very real sense that you're adventuring in the outdoors and getting lost in an ambient world that very few games have even come close to replicating. Even a knock off like Genshin impact doesn't feel quite as alive as BotW. Every element of the game feels tonally consistent and immaculately polished (maybe with the exception of wildlife spawning or despawning out of thin air).

I really hope they do new and inventive things with BotW 2 both in terms of story, challenge, combat, and even improvements to the open world experience. But if they don't, it's no real pain to me. BotW1's sandbox open world is an environment I'm probably going to keep going back to for years to come.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I haven't played BoTW since I beat it a couple years ago, but everyday I was playing it I was so immersed just exploring around Hyrule just searching every inch of the map. It'll be extremely tough to top what they did overall, but if they polish up some of the annoying things they should be fine.

BoTW is actually the only Zelda console game that I have ever actually beaten. I got pretty far in Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, but it was so hard to find the time to play those games while in school growing up. But of the ones that I played on console I really liked Twilight Princess a lot even though I know that's not everyone favorite. I got really far in Wind Waker, but I couldn't be bothered to find the triforce pieces. Of the hand held games I loved the Oracle games and I hope one day they get remastered like Link to the Past and Link's Awakening

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just picked it up again to try a whack at Trial of the Sword and, uh... I actually beat it.

Fully powered up master sword, baby. Hope that gets carried over into BotW2.

Now to decide if if want to try to do it on Master Mode...

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Finished my run from scratch, truly unbelievable game. It's far from perfect, but so much good even though I will focus on some of the negatives that I hope they fix in the second instalment.

- First and omg it was insanely annoying and that's the fall damage after getting hit. It takes Link like 20 seconds to get up after a hit and I think there should be a button mash sequence or something which allows him to break out of that weird waiting period until he gets up again. So dumb.

- Second and this ties in with the first, but holy smokes the battle physics were really bad in this game. You'd get hit by an enemy's attack and I've had times where I would slide all the way down the mountain and die. It is hilarious yet beyond stupid to watch and experience...just so much sliding effect in this game for some reason which is super frustrating. They need to take a page out of Nier: Automata's book in how to make an experience in a one vs one battle (which is majority of battles in Zelda).

- Third, the combat is way too linear for me. The enemies AI is pretty dumb so instead of making a challenging set of enemies, Nintendo pretty much made them bullet sponges to a degree and the white soldiers are by far the biggest culprit of these tactics. Additionally, I would just side step the Major Test Guardians for the Shrines and the most dangerous aspect for me was running out of weapons to defeat them with (as one example).

- Fourth, the world is too empty for it's own good. This might be nitpicking, but I felt that there was so much to explore and at the same time I felt let-down that I would go like ten/fifteen minutes of climbing/gliding and there wasn't anything....like actually there! I was hoping for some cool hidden Easter egg from one of the previous games, but there isn't much of anything. The snow covered hills of the most northwest portion is a perfect example of this and it honestly felt that was one of the last parts of the game finished and they just ran out of time.

- Fifth and this ties in with the previous point and that the world is too big. I really appreciate how expansive they made it, but at the same time I think they wasted their time by making it so big that there wasn't a lot of quality stuff in the empty areas. I wanted to explore more secrets of the world and perhaps there are ones I haven't simply ran into, but I've done a lot of exploring and it seems they're all concentrated in small areas of the actual map.

- Sixth; the weapons, enemies, and overall material just got boring once you're in hour forty or so. I have no problem with the weapons breaking, but I kept hoarding certain weapons and left others alone like the wizard sticks and anything else that didn't have the durability bonus. The enemies are probably the worst though, they don't really have a lot of character compared to the ones you find in OoT. I also think there are too many Guardians on the map - not that they're hard because they become easily late in the game -, so I would much prefer to remove majority of them and keep the remaining as mini-bosses with stat boosts. Their presence is more of an annoyance than anything else, but still an annoyance. I also really had zero desire to experimentally cook, which it seems the creators wanted you to do. The cooking doesn't really do anything by itself, only when you stack traits on-top of each other they'll eventually become worth it. I found that making creations got really boring compared to the first couple of hours of the game.

Seventh, the music or lack there of was a terrible choice. I know they tried to make the world as possible and immersed as they could, which also meant a lack of a lot of musical potential to keep with the realistic tones. However, that can work for Red Dead Redemption, but not Zelda since look at how good the music was in OoT. There are so many people on YouTube who did their own covers of OoT songs, remixed them, and even created concept albums that there was so much potential here that was lost. Only until the end, you get some of those classic tones that get you in the mood for the final boss fight. This is probably one of my biggest grips and why certain parts of the game won't be memorable to me like OoT was.

- Eighth and that's the horse mechanics should've been scrapped. I love the idea of actually having to train your horse and it being crazy in the first couple of hours of riding, but there are so many medium size rocks the horse just completely stops at that you're more likely pull your hair out than becoming a pro. Additionally, there so few areas of the map that can actually take a horse which still has brutal control issues even after it being well trained. Any horse can not go up any sort of rock incline, even if it's a two degree off hill and that's why it should've been scrapped for the second game. I had to stop using a horse because it got so frustrating for me to actually use it as the game wanted me to.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Finished my run from scratch, truly unbelievable game. It's far from perfect, but so much good even though I will focus on some of the negatives that I hope they fix in the second instalment.

- First and omg it was insanely annoying and that's the fall damage after getting hit. It takes Link like 20 seconds to get up after a hit and I think there should be a button mash sequence or something which allows him to break out of that weird waiting period until he gets up again. So dumb.

- Second and this ties in with the first, but holy smokes the battle physics were really bad in this game. You'd get hit by an enemy's attack and I've had times where I would slide all the way down the mountain and die. It is hilarious yet beyond stupid to watch and experience...just so much sliding effect in this game for some reason which is super frustrating. They need to take a page out of Nier: Automata's book in how to make an experience in a one vs one battle (which is majority of battles in Zelda).

- Third, the combat is way too linear for me. The enemies AI is pretty dumb so instead of making a challenging set of enemies, Nintendo pretty much made them bullet sponges to a degree and the white soldiers are by far the biggest culprit of these tactics. Additionally, I would just side step the Major Test Guardians for the Shrines and the most dangerous aspect for me was running out of weapons to defeat them with (as one example).

- Fourth, the world is too empty for it's own good. This might be nitpicking, but I felt that there was so much to explore and at the same time I felt let-down that I would go like ten/fifteen minutes of climbing/gliding and there wasn't anything....like actually there! I was hoping for some cool hidden Easter egg from one of the previous games, but there isn't much of anything. The snow covered hills of the most northwest portion is a perfect example of this and it honestly felt that was one of the last parts of the game finished and they just ran out of time.

- Fifth and this ties in with the previous point and that the world is too big. I really appreciate how expansive they made it, but at the same time I think they wasted their time by making it so big that there wasn't a lot of quality stuff in the empty areas. I wanted to explore more secrets of the world and perhaps there are ones I haven't simply ran into, but I've done a lot of exploring and it seems they're all concentrated in small areas of the actual map.

- Sixth; the weapons, enemies, and overall material just got boring once you're in hour forty or so. I have no problem with the weapons breaking, but I kept hoarding certain weapons and left others alone like the wizard sticks and anything else that didn't have the durability bonus. The enemies are probably the worst though, they don't really have a lot of character compared to the ones you find in OoT. I also think there are too many Guardians on the map - not that they're hard because they become easily late in the game -, so I would much prefer to remove majority of them and keep the remaining as mini-bosses with stat boosts. Their presence is more of an annoyance than anything else, but still an annoyance. I also really had zero desire to experimentally cook, which it seems the creators wanted you to do. The cooking doesn't really do anything by itself, only when you stack traits on-top of each other they'll eventually become worth it. I found that making creations got really boring compared to the first couple of hours of the game.

Seventh, the music or lack there of was a terrible choice. I know they tried to make the world as possible and immersed as they could, which also meant a lack of a lot of musical potential to keep with the realistic tones. However, that can work for Red Dead Redemption, but not Zelda since look at how good the music was in OoT. There are so many people on YouTube who did their own covers of OoT songs, remixed them, and even created concept albums that there was so much potential here that was lost. Only until the end, you get some of those classic tones that get you in the mood for the final boss fight. This is probably one of my biggest grips and why certain parts of the game won't be memorable to me like OoT was.

- Eighth and that's the horse mechanics should've been scrapped. I love the idea of actually having to train your horse and it being crazy in the first couple of hours of riding, but there are so many medium size rocks the horse just completely stops at that you're more likely pull your hair out than becoming a pro. Additionally, there so few areas of the map that can actually take a horse which still has brutal control issues even after it being well trained. Any horse can not go up any sort of rock incline, even if it's a two degree off hill and that's why it should've been scrapped for the second game. I had to stop using a horse because it got so frustrating for me to actually use it as the game wanted me to.

Sounds like you f***ing hated this game :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sounds like you f***ing hated this game :laugh:
Not at all, I think it is a masterpiece, but I suggest from the points above that they spent some of their time in the wrong areas which can be fixed for the second instalment. E.g. instead of making the world so huge and ultimately making a lot of the parts barren (by running out of time), they spend that extra time adding more aspects to the combat or actually making the horses useful. Honestly, I am nitpicking a lot in that post, but legitimately the only area of the game which it really fails at is the horse movement (especially coming from RDRII). How the horse can't go over a medium size mass of rock is unplayable for me and why I spent the entire game either running around or gliding instead lol.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Not at all, I think it is a masterpiece, but I suggest from the points above that they spent some of their time in the wrong areas which can be fixed for the second instalment. E.g. instead of making the world so huge and ultimately making a lot of the parts barren (by running out of time), they spend that extra time adding more aspects to the combat or actually making the horses useful. Honestly, I am nitpicking a lot in that post, but legitimately the only area of the game which it really fails at is the horse movement (especially coming from RDRII). How the horse can't go over a medium size mass of rock is unplayable for me and why I spent the entire game either running around or gliding instead lol.
I didn't use the horse a whole lot in Zelda, but this game?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I'd say about 85% of the time i'm playing i'm climbing, running, gliding, etc...around. Rarely if ever use the horses. I agree that they're clunky and not as fun of a way to navigate Hyrule than your feet. I totally disagree that the world seems empty though. I wish the side quests were more interesting and had better rewards but i love that there aren't NPC's and towns all over the place. The game is about exploring the environment, surviving, fighting for your life, and defeating Ganon. I don't need to see the type of open-world we see on Xbox/PS games where there's bustling towns everywhere and dozens of people to talk to everywhere you go.

Getting rid of a lot of that noise makes BOTW much more serene, peaceful, and focused.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'd say about 85% of the time i'm playing i'm climbing, running, gliding, etc...around. Rarely if ever use the horses. I agree that they're clunky and not as fun of a way to navigate Hyrule than your feet. I totally disagree that the world seems empty though. I wish the side quests were more interesting and had better rewards but i love that there aren't NPC's and towns all over the place. The game is about exploring the environment, surviving, fighting for your life, and defeating Ganon. I don't need to see the type of open-world we see on Xbox/PS games where there's bustling towns everywhere and dozens of people to talk to everywhere you go.

Getting rid of a lot of that noise makes BOTW much more serene, peaceful, and focused.
I totally get what you're saying, but what's the point of exploring when there's a good chance of nothing being around the corner? What I am saying is there has to be an incentive for the player to go to the limits of the boundary and putting the effort to explore. FTR, I don't think it was overly big which is what happened in AC: Origin (that map was effin' insane and not in a good way). I would like to crop the BOTW map for the second instalment by maybe at most 15% across all the edges for a smaller square. There's too many mountains and cliffs around as well.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I totally get what you're saying, but what's the point of exploring when there's a good chance of nothing being around the corner? What I am saying is there has to be an incentive for the player to go to the limits of the boundary and putting the effort to explore. FTR, I don't think it was overly big which is what happened in AC: Origin (that map was effin' insane and not in a good way). I would like to crop the BOTW map for the second instalment by maybe at most 15% across all the edges for a smaller square. There's too many mountains and cliffs around as well.
I will say, I kept my horse on the roads and found the world pretty lively. You get tons of quests at stables, it allows you to always keep your arrows stocked up and you get Zelda's white horse pretty early too (it's not even DLC)

Areas are way more accessible than you think with horses, sometimes you have to take the long way around a river looking for a bridge but considering the horse goes like 3x faster than link it's worth it. I used my horse for the first 60+ shrines.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Finished the master sword trials and got Ganon's horse

Turns out getting the 30-minute ultimate defense buff is the key to going through the sword trials with ease. I did the first trial without it and tried to do the middle trial without it, but it was really hard and I kept dying to the guardian because I wasn't good at shield parrying. Got a lot better at shield parrying, then used the defense buff food to go through both the middle and final trial without dying once

I think I'm ready to finish this game. I got the motorcycle, Hylian shield, finished the terry town quest, finished all the divine beasts, plus the extra quest to make them recharge faster; got the ancient armor for the horse (and myself)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad