Player Discussion Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Who cares.......I dont care what players from other teams do. EKMAN LARSSon is an over rated Swedish player like Lidstrom was. Ekblad has come down to earth this season and Burns has decided he wants only to play offense these days....

Boston Bruins Defensemen are supposed to hit people coming across the blue line, on the wall, in the corners, in front of the net...Thats what defensemen are paid for to hit people and prevent goals, Not score. Scoring is an added bonus after they take care of the house. Krug can not and will not ever be able to take care of his house. So in effect he is half a player who is not very good at what the job description of his job is. "Defensemen"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Defence (defense in the USA) in ice hockey is a player position whose primary responsibility is to prevent the opposing team from scoring. They are often referred to as defencemen, D, D-men or blueliners (the latter a reference to the blue line in ice hockey which represents the boundary of the offensive zone; defencemen generally position themselves along the line to keep the puck in the zone). They were once called cover-point. A good defenceman is both strong in defensive and offensive play and for defenceman pairing also need to be good at defending and attacking. Take a sip of Kool aid and let me know how he is defensively.

I don't know why you are bolding those points, all they say is a good defenseman plays defense, it says nothing about hitting. My point is you don't need to hit to be effective defensively.

Do you want more examples? From the other night, January 17th, DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN Niklas Hjalmarsson and Brent Seabrook both had 0 hits. Duncan Keith as well. Giardano, Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester and Brodie also with no hits. We wish Krug could be on these guys levels defensively, yet here are these guys throwing no hits in a game.

Are you going to tell me those guys aren't good defensively because they don't hit?

If you actually watched the game Krug played pretty great defensively breaking up numerous plays and getting praise from the NBC announcers.

Either way this is a Chara thread and this is way off topic. Hitting doesn't equal better defense, end of story.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Who cares.......I dont care what players from other teams do. EKMAN LARSSon is an over rated Swedish player like Lidstrom was. Ekblad has come down to earth this season and Burns has decided he wants only to play offense these days....

Boston Bruins Defensemen are supposed to hit people coming across the blue line, on the wall, in the corners, in front of the net...Thats what defensemen are paid for to hit people and prevent goals, Not score. Scoring is an added bonus after they take care of the house. Krug can not and will not ever be able to take care of his house. So in effect he is half a player who is not very good at what the job description of his job is. "Defensemen"

Defence (defense in the USA) in ice hockey is a player position whose primary responsibility is to prevent the opposing team from scoring. They are often referred to as defencemen, D, D-men or blueliners (the latter a reference to the blue line in ice hockey which represents the boundary of the offensive zone; defencemen generally position themselves along the line to keep the puck in the zone). They were once called cover-point. A good defenceman is both strong in defensive and offensive play and for defenceman pairing also need to be good at defending and attacking. Take a sip of Kool aid and let me know how he is defensively.

So by your logic Hall-of-Famers like Coffey and Housley probably should of been 3rd pairing guys because they didn't hit people at the blue-line and in the corners? :shakehead

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
So by your logic Hall-of-Famers like Coffey and Housley probably should of been 3rd pairing guys because they didn't hit people at the blue-line and in the corners? :shakehead

I could care less where they played or for who. I do know they never play for me. Potvin can play for me. Bourque can play for me. Chelios can play for me. Stevens can play for me.

Why is it a problem for you that i like DMAN who hit people. Who clear the crease, who come out of corners with the puck ?

The proof is in the play. If Torey Krug is one of your top pairing defensemen, you will never make the playoffs and you will never win. It is pretty simple. Krug is a luxury, not a end all. Right now, we dont have that luxury. When we get a number 1 and a number 2 dman. Then Krug can fly around all he wants and hit the end boards with shot after shot. Right now this team needs defensemen who can play defense.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I could care less where they played or for who. I do know they never play for me. Potvin can play for me. Bourque can play for me. Chelios can play for me. Stevens can play for me.

Why is it a problem for you that i like DMAN who hit people. Who clear the crease, who come out of corners with the puck ?

The proof is in the play. If Torey Krug is one of your top pairing defensemen, you will never make the playoffs and you will never win. It is pretty simple.

It's not a problem. Matter of fact I'd take Bourque/Chelios/Stevens/Potvin over the likes of Coffey and Housley anyday and twice on Sundays.

And I prefer D-men who play a physical well-rounded game. So were not different in that regard. But I don't like a physical D who is physical but brings little else to the table. If all you can do is hit and box-out, you can't play for me in today's game. Maybe 20 years ago, but not now.

But that doesn't change the fact that Torey Krug is a capable defender and a Top 4 guy.

You say you can't win with a Torey Krug like player in your Top 4. Then explain to me how Detroit won a cup and went to Game 7 of a finals the next year with Brian Rafalski as one of their Top 3 D-men?

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
It's not a problem. Matter of fact I'd take Bourque/Chelios/Stevens/Potvin over the likes of Coffey and Housley anyday and twice on Sundays.

And I prefer D-men who play a physical well-rounded game. So were not different in that regard. But I don't like a physical D who is physical but brings little else to the table. If all you can do is hit and box-out, you can't play for me in today's game. Maybe 20 years ago, but not now.

But that doesn't change the fact that Torey Krug is a capable defender and a Top 4 guy.

You say you can't win with a Torey Krug like player in your Top 4. Then explain to me how Detroit won a cup and went to Game 7 of a finals the next year with Brian Rafalski as one of their Top 3 D-men?

Maybe because they had FEDEROV, YZERMAN, SHANNAHAN, CICCARELLI, HULL......Did i miss anyone yet ?.......And that BS on Rafalski, Detroit had Murphy, Chelios, Lidstrom, Kostantinov, and a couple others. Again, get me a team of Hall of Famers and Krug can be my luxury. What he can not be is God forbid my top pairing dman. Ideally he is a third pairing guy who see's PP time on the second unit. I could care less about his assists. Could care less.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe because they had FEDEROV, YZERMAN, SHANNAHAN, CICCARELLI, HULL......Did i miss anyone yet ?.......And that BS on Rafalski, Detroit had Murphy, Chelios, Lidstrom, Kostantinov, and a couple others. Again, get me a team of Hall of Famers and Krug can be my luxury. What he can not be is God forbid my top pairing dman. Ideally he is a third pairing guy who see's PP time on the second unit. I could care less about his assists. Could care less.

Hahahaha.

The only names that you listed that played with Rafalski in 2008 and 2009 in Detroit was Lidstrom and Chelios (who was on his last legs and no longer a top 4 guy).

Please stop.

Anyways this is a Chara thread and your credibility is just about shot.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hahahaha.

The only names that you listed that played with Rafalski in 2008 and 2009 in Detroit was Lidstrom and Chelios (who was on his last legs and no longer a top 4 guy).

Please stop.

Just about? :laugh:

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Hahahaha.

Please stop.

That doesn't change the fact that Krug should be better. With a supporting cast of Eddie Shore, Ray Bourque, and Bobby Orr there are no excuses.:laugh:

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
Hahahaha.

Please stop.

Funny thing is, when we do get a number 1 and a number 2 dman and we start to win as everyone drops down a notch, My credibility will be restored. And i will remind you when it happens. Till then keep drinking that kool aid.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Funny thing is, when we do get a number 1 and a number 2 dman and we start to win as everyone drops down a notch, My credibility will be restored. And i will remind you when it happens. Till then keep drinking that kool aid.

And the hits just keep on coming! Maybe we can get CHIARELLI back, because we all know he knows what you know, right? :laugh:

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

I couldn't help but notice that you stopped the bold right before the words "and offensive play" ... any reason you picked there to stop, other than it not fitting your agenda? If offensive production is just a bonus rather than an integral part of the position, why was it referenced in that definition you so helpfully provided?

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
When, if at all, do we anticipate Zdeno requesting to get moved for another shot at the cup before he hangs them up? I'm assuming he'd thought it would happen here and its becoming more and more clear that it's definitely not happening this year and unless we make some pretty significant changes in the offseason it's not happening next year. Could it happen at the deadline? Or will he request next year? Or not at all? What do people think?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
When, if at all, do we anticipate Zdeno requesting to get moved for another shot at the cup before he hangs them up? I'm assuming he'd thought it would happen here and its becoming more and more clear that it's definitely not happening this year and unless we make some pretty significant changes in the offseason it's not happening next year. Could it happen at the deadline? Or will he request next year? Or not at all? What do people think?

I think it's a toss up. If he wants to win a cup before retirement I would think he'd prefer to be moved now so that he has two shots at least. Maybe he doesn't want to move cities and teams for a season or two so he stays here until retirement. Maybe he thinks he can still play past his contract and will sign where he wants come free agency for a shot at the cup - I think this is least likely to happen though.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think he plays out the year for sure. If the Bruins go into rebuild mode, I would think he would be amenable to going at next years TDL. I don't think the Bruins will be going into full rebuild mode.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Can't see him asking to get traded for another shot at a cup.I think he is there till he retires.Now would I like him to lift his no trade clause,yes I think they could get a good return for the future but don't see it happening.

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
I remember reading that it is Chara's intent to play beyond his current contract which may bring in the reality that he may have to move.

Obviously a number of variables are involved that include how much money he will need, will the Bruins give it to him, do the Bruins even want him past next year (perhaps it depends on money as he would be a nice D-man at $2-$3 million but not $6 million).

I guess the point is that it would be healthy for all parties to have Chara/Sweeney having these conversations now.

Lots of unknowns to us fans but hopefully these conversations are taking place right now between Chara/ B's.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
When is the last time we have heard from the captain with all the turmoil surrounding the team right now? Can't recall the last time he was seen or heard giving an interview despite all that has been going on this season. Has Bergy actually already assumed the role in anticipation of his transition in wearing the C following Chara's retirement?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Second missed practice for being "under the weather." Is anyone buying this? Haven't seen or heard from him since the decision on Claude. Is he boycotting the decision? Did Sweeney ask Chara to waive at the same time?

What I find the most suspicious is the PR message on Tuesday morning that Chara is under the weather and "questionable" for Thursday night's game. That is two and a half days to get over an illness. A cold should never keep a player out of a game, and one would expect to get over a stomach virus in 24-36 hours.

Something is up here.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Second missed practice for being "under the weather." Is anyone buying this? Haven't seen or heard from him since the decision on Claude. Is he boycotting the decision? Did Sweeney ask Chara to waive at the same time?

What I find the most suspicious is the PR message on Tuesday morning that Chara is under the weather and "questionable" for Thursday night's game. That is two and a half days to get over an illness. A cold should never keep a player out of a game, and one would expect to get over a stomach virus in 24-36 hours.

Something is up here.
yeah i was thinking the same. Doesn't make sense tbh. I don't know if he requested a change or pissed off about what just happened, but i think there's something suspicious about being "under the weather".

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
yeah i was thinking the same. Doesn't make sense tbh. I don't know if he requested a change or pissed off about what just happened, but i think there's something suspicious about being "under the weather".

Or...you know...he could be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->