Injury Report: Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Probably not the time for "I told you so's" but those of us who have had the temerity to withstand the withering criticism for even whispering that it might be worthwhile to trade Chara have noticed the guy's steady deterioration.

Let's face it, he was totally gassed to the point of ineffectiveness during the playoffs during the past two years and he was totally off so far this season. He's just wearing down and this incident is now more proof of that.

Very big contract; very long contract. Anyone really think he's got another 5 good seasons in him to make it to the end of his contract?

This injury could be catastrophic to the team in many more ways than one.

said it before and i'll say it again: if not for the Slovakian olympic committee voting him for their flag bearer he would have played 2 MORE meaningless games in February. at least we were able to squeeze out another 52 seconds of PP time for the big guy tonight.

I swear if it turns out this happened during his PPTOI i will definitely start heaving shyte around the house until i break something.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
and who do the coyotes get in return might I ask for their former first round pick? would you be all for it if they asked for pastrnak? Or this years first round pick plus spooner? The team doesn't want to give what other teams want and they have what other teams don't want. they have no legs to stand on.

I'm all for it, at the right price. I mean, I don't trust the D we have now...we have more bottom pairing guys than top pairing guys. It's a lose lose, I guess.

Ari Gold

Dec 13, 2013
Hollywood
This is very serious.....

No matter how fit he is, a man Chara's age being out that long, maybe having surgery is a big problem. It's not just about the time he misses. It's how long it takes for him to get back to his highest level..... if he ever gets back to that.....

I wouldn't touch those Boychuk picks yet. I think Chiarelli has a hard decision to make about this team's realistic chances come Thanksgiving......

That is exactly what I'm thinking.. He's 37 and with such a large frame his knees take quite a work load. This might be a injury that is tough to come back from given his size and age.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m1 minute ago
Zdeno Chara has only missed 21 games since joining the #bruins in 2006. The team is 8-8-5 without him, per @SportsnetTicker.

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 2m2 minutes ago
Bruins in tough spot. Zdeno Chara injury is doomsday scenario for Boston. Nobody on their roster, or any other NHL roster, can replicate him

Last edited:

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Yeah, let's tank for McDavid or Eichel just so Chiarelli can trade them away in a few years. They better not like booze or women, because they'll need "guards posted outside of their doors" during the playoffs.

Vdub

Live Free or Die
Dec 21, 2013
Yeah, let's tank for McDavid or Eichel just so Chiarelli can trade them away in a few years. They better not like booze or women, because they'll need "guards posted outside of their doors" during the playoffs.

too bad Seguin didn't "light it up" on the ice like he's paid to do.

But I guess I can't relate because I'm not 19 :sarcasm:

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Without Chara, Claude has to revamp the way this Bruins team plays hockey. He has the assets to do it, imo.

I agree. I think playing a more open style with the idea of winning 5-4 instead of 2-1 is better than making desperate trades. This season is pretty much over with Chara out, so let's play the youngsters as much as possible and see who improves. Maybe it's time to clear out some over paid guys too. Chara's absence creates a perfect opportunity to begin a rebuild without having to declare it.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
You know, I'm starting to get the impression this might not be our year.

Honestly, I kinda figured that from the start of the season. Reminds me way too much of 09-10 and 11-12. Only good thing about those years, is that we went to the Cup finals after them. And even that's reaching.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
4-6 weeks isn't the worst thing in the world. If it's longer, yep we're all done. Maybe Chiarelli makes a move for something legit on D and keeps us above water for now. Doubt it, just trying to be positive.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Seidenberg Hamilton
Krug Mcquaid
Bartowski Morrow?

I hope they give Morrow a shot. If not its prob eminger or warsofsky going to be called up

Sucks Miller is going to be out for a while also

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Honestly, I kinda figured that from the start of the season. Reminds me way too much of 09-10 and 11-12. Only good thing about those years, is that we went to the Cup finals after them. And even that's reaching.

I wasn't feeling great about things after the off season but you never know until you watch them play.

But yeah. If this injury is that serious then even the optimist inside me is saying we're ****ed. The last thing this team needs is to lose their captain and #1 defenseman. It doesn't matter if it's October. Another 6 weeks (minimum) of an even weaker team and that's a serious hole to dig yourself out of.

It's got that 2010 feeling.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
4-6 weeks isn't the worst thing in the world.

4-6 weeks is best case. After the 4-6 weeks he might still need surgery which will probably be season ending.

Maybe without the Chara crutch Hamilton figures it out on his own and will become a better player on the other side.

Sink or swim with what they have and with any luck they are a 7th or 8th playoff seed.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
There's an opportunity here for other guys to step up and take a leadership role on the team. It's doomy and gloomy, but it happens to every team once in a while. As a fan it is going to suck, but it lets the organization evaluate players in different roles.

ytownhockey10

tornado of souls
Mar 8, 2010
in the salt
as someone that's suffered the same injury, z's a ****ing animal. didn't so much as wince...

also worth noting that until PC makes a move, we're effed. less z, less boychuk = defense de minimis.

the fact that chara's injury wasn't the first happening to necessitate a move for a dman is even more troubling.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
4-6 weeks is best case. After the 4-6 weeks he might still need surgery which will probably be season ending.

Maybe without the Chara crutch Hamilton figures it out on his own and will become a better player on the other side.

Sink or swim with what they have and with any luck they are a 7th or 8th playoff seed.

If he needs surgery we are all done. Praying he doesn't.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Very big contract; very long contract. Anyone really think he's got another 5 good seasons in him to make it to the end of his contract?

This injury could be catastrophic to the team in many more ways than one.

After this year, Chara is signed to three more years, not five. In the last year of the contract, his cap hit drops to 4m a year.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
If Chara is good to go by the trade deadline we are ok..

Who knows, maybe he comes back more rejuvenated then before?

Trying to be optimistic

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Trade for Gormley, he's ready for the big time and a long term solution. You're not replacing Chara but you got to hold the fort until he comes back.

Just wondering, can they now put Chara on LTIR and be able to use some of his money on a signing or trade for a "Gormley" type of replacement for this year?
A guy like Ference (not to mention) a fellow I saw play for the Islanders tonight would really help but........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad