Injury Report: Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Chara gets hurt you still have a Zdeno Chara sized hole in the line up no matter who you traded away. No team seamlessly handles that type of loss.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
Sounds like Torn MCL. They usually heal in 4-6 weeks with surgery, but who knows. I doubt we see him before the new year. Irreplaceable. No clue what Chia does now.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Nothing you can do now, this doesn't make it any worse so idk why you're saying **** chia in this thread

Because Chia is the idiot who traded our number 2 D, which has compounded this Chara injury immensely. With Boychuk we at least had a guy who could play 25 minutes and not look out of place with Chara out for months. That's why nobody wanted to trade him. This is exactly what most of us feared. So yeah, **** Chia. This is the perfect moment to say it because it perfectly illustrates how badly he blew it with that trade.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I like PC. but he better hope some of his draft picks and recent traded for players start sticking. He's looking worse and worse

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
What do you disagree with?

You're right in the sense that it has nothing to do with the Boychuk trade, but if Chara is done for the season, then it makes one sit and think "what if we hadn't moved Boychuk?".

I'm not convinced that Chara would be up to speed coming back from a knee injury. Seids is just starting to get his rhythm back, and yet he's been training/rehabbing consistently for months after his surgery. I'm not trying to be a downer, but things won't be all "cheery deary" if Chara out for a long time.

Arthur*

He can't. Like I said before, he'll never be a top DMan
Why can't the 22 year old who is still physically filling out who's already logged lots of minutes of solid defensive hockey in two playoff runs become a top dman in this league?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
This changes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the Boychuk trade. If Chara's out for the season, they're done regardless, if it's only 4-6 weeks, this teams still gonna make the playoffs, no problem and he'll be better rested

4-6 weeks, or the season. probably saying 4-6 to keep morale up in the room. that 4 will become 6, and that 6 will become 12. No one to blame here, not the GM for sure. You can't assume your top players will be hurt significantly and have a backup 6-9 norris caliber defensemen ready to go. He's been an iron man for a long time. unfortunate he will be out for an extended period. It drastically alters the direction the team is heading in this year though.

To find a silver lining in this situation, assuming the worst that is. It takes pressure off chiarelli to over pay another team to bring in a top 3 RW or a top 4 dman for the stanley cup push. I'm not saying they bottom out this year without chara, but I really doubt they go all in without him. No chara means no pressure. fans will understand if they falter, and their won't be outrage if they are complacent at the trading deadline. I think taking the pressure off for expectations might help the players perform better. maybe marchand stops gripping his stick so tight, maybe lucic goes back to the simple things he is effective at, (punching people). Maybe they go on a run in the honor of chara. who knows. maybe they call up joe morrow or zach trotman and one of them flourishes and becomes the next boychuk. It will help future teams as chiareli will get a better shot to evaluate the talent in their system at the NHL level.

generally though, that silver lining is pretty much a sliver. this situation is brutal

member 96824

I said all along the largest risk of the Boychuk trade is the naivety that you'll play an entire season with a healthy D-core.

A plus Pete.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
Sounds like Torn MCL. They usually heal in 4-6 weeks with surgery, but who knows. I doubt we see him before the new year. Irreplaceable. No clue what Chia does now.
Yeah, but why evaluate the need for surgery in 4-6 weeks? If it were a just a torn MCL, he should be back in about 4-6 weeks, not being evaluated for whether he needs surgery at that point. Makes me worried that he might have a partial ACL tear or something too, the fact that they are waiting to see whether he needs surgery after those 4-6 weeks.

This team can survive a 4-6 week MCL, but if there's ACL damage, forget about it.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
If he is out for an extended period of time maybe the collective team will actually play like they give two *****, like they did in the 3rd period tonight.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If he is out for an extended period of time maybe the collective team will actually play like they give two *****, like they did in the 3rd period tonight.

they didn't do it for 2 straight games against Montreal in the playoffs, what makes you think they'll start now?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
easy weeding tonight.

Jeez, when did Ward become a MD? Let's see what the official statement is.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
4-6 weeks. Left knee ligament damage and we'll decide if he needs surgery?

I don't like this at all. Not one bit.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Just so I have a clear picture here.

After trading away the #2 guy from last season, our 37 year old captain and #1 defenseman is out 4-6 weeks and could still need surgery after that.

And the next best guy is 33 and recovering from his own knee surgery where he missed most of the last season.

And the next best guy after him is 21.

And the #6 is out for likely a big chunk of time with his shoulder.

Leaving Krug, McQuaid, Bart and somebody from Providence to lead this team to glory.

And we're having trouble scoring.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
perfect storm for mcdavid.

that's the problem...this team is going to be just bad enough for this season to feel like a waste, but just good enough to miss out on the really good picks in the draft. They have too much pride to tank and I'm glad for that, but it is going to hurt to see that kid in the division with Buffalo knowing that we wasted another year of the "cup window" (although let's be honest, the cup window is closed)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Just so I have a clear picture here.

After trading away the #2 guy from last season, our 37 year old captain and #1 defenseman is out 4-6 weeks and could still need surgery after that.

And the next best guy is 33 and recovering from his own knee surgery where he missed most of the last season.

And the next best guy after him is 21.

And the #6 is out for likely a big chunk of time with his shoulder.

Leaving Krug, McQuaid, Bart and somebody from Providence to lead this team to glory.

And we're having trouble scoring.

well when you put it that way... :laugh:

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I said all along the largest risk of the Boychuk trade is the naivety that you'll play an entire season with a healthy D-core.

A plus Pete.

Now imagine what teams are going to ask knowing Chara is out. Chiarelli is a great GM, but trading Boychuk was a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad