Hockey Fights: Zdeno Chara vs Jamie Oleksiak

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Never been impressed with Chara as a fighter, has always seemed just kind of lackluster for someone his size in my opinion. Usually it's the typical one swing and a bear hug to the ice routine, glad to see it was something different.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What? Jesus this is dense. I'm saying that a glancing blow bent his nose. Thats quite obviously what happened. You can see it easily in the picture. My point with the finger was how easily the nose can be forced to bend.

Like I said. I already scored it 10-8 for chara. He ****ed him up with the nose bending shot

You want dense?

" No one landed a punch "

There's your dense.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Never been impressed with Chara as a fighter, has always seemed just kind of lackluster for someone his size in my opinion. Usually it's the typical one swing and a bear hug to the ice routine, glad to see it was something different.
Agreed. I'm a Bruins fan and i think he's pretty overrated as a fighter. In his early days he was quite scary to be honest, he would throw with bad intentions and had a bit of a mean streak in certain fights (Ivanans comes to mind) - This was one of his better fights in recent memory. I would have liked to see this one if both guys got on the ice at the same time... Could have been a dandy.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
In a poll of 500 NHL players just done they themselves rank Chara as third toughest guy in the league. FWIW.

sunhock0318.jpg

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Agreed. I'm a Bruins fan and i think he's pretty overrated as a fighter. In his early days he was quite scary to be honest, he would throw with bad intentions and had a bit of a mean streak in certain fights (Ivanans comes to mind) - This was one of his better fights in recent memory. I would have liked to see this one if both guys got on the ice at the same time... Could have been a dandy.
Chara's matured a lot from his early days, and the coach is gonna tell him most of the time that as the captain and top defenseman, he needs to be logging ice time, not spending 5 minutes in the penalty box.

Lucic had the same problem, people would expect him to fight goons, because he was a match for those goons in size and strength, but he was a top line wing first and foremost, and Krejci's bodyguard secondly.

After a season in which Savard, Krejci AND Bergeron were eliminated from play for extended periods of time by cheapshots from Pit and Philly, Bruins leadership got paranoid about protecting their centers, so Lucic was promoted to the first line and Chara was kept on the ice rather than dealing with heavyweight defensemen.

As an aside that's one of the reasons Burrows biting Bergeron was so poorly received and angered the Bruins so much. Boston is very paranoid about threats to our top 2 centermen because they've been targeted before.

Anyway if there's a sense that some of Boston's bigger fighting stars tend to pass off fights to the 4th line or defensemen like Adam McQuaid, that's why. Boston leadership was burned badly by the runs at Savard, Krejci and Bergeron in the 2009 campaign and do not want a repeat of that.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad