Player Discussion Zdeno Chara IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think a Chara - Clifton 3rd pair is a good one . Chara can be a calming influence on Clifton and Clifton can do all the heavy lifting like puck retrieval .

Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Do we think teams haven't known Chara is slow for the last decade and only now figured it out?

Who is we? Do you think that? Because I certainly don't What I do think is that he was slower andless agile this past bubble and season prior than in years past to the point where his positioning and reach could not compensate like it has done. That's the difference that is getting exploited..

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
which leads directly into if Rask would return if Chara declined experiencing another condensed season in a bubble. how do "we" think rich Europeans feel about traveling city to city in the USA of late? this is an interesting time to have a favorite NHL team. the verboten issues have an effect and the team "we" are all here to discuss seems to me to have two problematic superstars left to juggle. Chara has quite an effect on one of these two dudes who shared more than a room abroad, specifically in keeping shots to the outside and thus wins and save percentages and contracts high. I'd like to see the team sign a spare goaltender in case there is a bit of a chain reaction if Rask's constant defenseman opts away. I think they are resolved to deal with the antics of the other fingercuff, mostly because they don't put on an obvious act like they have been regarding Rask being tire-pumped back into his spot. and I think they learned with Seguin that having one honeytrap-susceptible doofus getting into drunken trouble while hurting the team and how teammates feel about them at a time is borderline manageable and can allow for some of those important stick-puck-net things that winning requires. I pity the fool dealing with two of those and the politics of teambuilding between passionately different dudes. I think losing Krug helps the room and the roster, but if Chara goes at the same time, it'll probably be kind of messy on that side. I would very much expect Lauzon and Grzelcyk to continue to succeed, but Moore can't be 6th, can he?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Chara was hugely effective. think relative plus/minus, zone progress, quality of opponents -- the dude was a beast. he should be limited when exposed, for sure, but the team needs this guy back for another season or two, in a smaller role, overall. he keeps shots far away enough for the goalies to actually react rather than predict -- humbuggers must have no prominent concept of this advantage.

I think they have to sign him as well, but his expected goals took a big hit last year. He was close to a team-worst -4.6, while his partner was close to a team best +7.9. In 2019 Chara was +6, and the year before that he was +10.

Still, I don't see them trading for anyone better (or anyone at all). And it helps them protect the most assets in expansion if their answer at LD is a ufa at the end of the season.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think they have to sign him as well, but his expected goals took a big hit last year. He was close to a team-worst -4.6, while his partner was close to a team best +7.9. In 2019 Chara was +6, and the year before that he was +10.

Still, I don't see them trading for anyone better (or anyone at all). And it helps them protect the most assets in expansion if their answer at LD is a ufa at the end of the season.

And? Chara is out there purely for defense, not offense. 18 ES min, 3+ PK min, 0 PP min, and a 65% d zone start

I care more about actual performance than any "expected" advanced stat. Real numbers, last year he had an ESGF of 63 and ESGA of 39, good for +24

For comparison, McAvoy's was 68 ESGF and 47 ESGA (+21), Krug was 48 ESGF and 47 ESGA (+1) and Carlo was 51 ESGF and 38 ESGA (+13)

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Did anyone in the league have the defensive zone utilization of Chara?

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not the best source but, Felger just said he’s heard a rumor that the Bruins want to bring Zee back for a front office job but he wants to keep playing.

Wonder which side budges.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
If rumors of an early January start date are true, seems there should be some sort of decision coming in the next couple weeks.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
13 million per year tied up long-term between Matheson, Dumoulin and Petterson and they are going to sign Chara? I don't see the fit. He's not going to Pittsburgh to be the 7th guy, and it's not like they have some questionable D-men (like Boston) in the bottom part of their group where he would sub in an out.

I Just posted it as something of general interest given the lack of any real news about anything these days. I don't see it either.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Not the best source but, Felger just said he’s heard a rumor that the Bruins want to bring Zee back for a front office job but he wants to keep playing.

Wonder which side budges.

You have to wonder about the competency of an organization that feels Kevan Miller has more left in the tank than Chara.

Reactions: BTO

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Okay, this is Eklund we're talking about.

In the event, if the Bruins allow Zdeno Chara to leave, it would be an unforgivable insult to one of the greatest players ever to wear the spoked B.

Yes, his on ice abilities have diminished signficantly.

He's still a tremendous leader who can provide great value.

Z deserves one final, proper farewell with the Bruins, his number in the rafters, his membership in the Hall of Fame.

If they let him go, for me anyway, that's the last straw for SweeNeely.

Reactions: Hamilton Brian

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Okay, this is Eklund we're talking about.

In the event, if the Bruins allow Zdeno Chara to leave, it would be an unforgivable insult to one of the greatest players ever to wear the spoked B.

Yes, his on ice abilities have diminished signficantly.

He's still a tremendous leader who can provide great value.

Z deserves one final, proper farewell with the Bruins, his number in the rafters, his membership in the Hall of Fame.

If they let him go, for me anyway, that's the last straw for SweeNeely.

Hes too slow.

Its time it was a good run.

Sucks Chara is making this hard on the organization. We have more than one Cup if he didn't demand the C when he signed. Should have been given to Bergeron immediately when Thornton was traded.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You have to wonder about the competency of an organization that feels Kevan Miller has more left in the tank than Chara.

Kevin Miller can play in Providence and we see where he is at.

Zdeno Chara cannot play in Providence. He also can't be scratched unless its a regular season back to back.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

tumblr_nfk4uhupln1tcw4lfo1_400.gif

Last edited:

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Hes too slow.

Its time it was a good run.

Sucks Chara is making this hard on the organization. We have more than one Cup if he didn't demand the C when he signed. Should have been given to Bergeron immediately when Thornton was traded.

We'd have more than one cup if they reversed the letters on their jerseys?

Wondering if you hurt your back reaching for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->