Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My guess is that the Bruins won't budge from their position/situation (reduced role/salary). It already happened vs TBL in the playoffs.

And Chara/agent is exploring options to join another contending team on a regular role.... or contemplate retirement if options are to play a reduce role and/or for a bottom standing team

I don't think so either. I don't this is a negotiation as much as a discussion about how both parties are feeling about the situation, what their concerns are, and what sort of timeframes can they expect.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
My guess is that the Bruins won't budge from their position/situation (reduced role/salary). It already happened vs TBL in the playoffs.

And Chara/agent is exploring options to join another contending team on a regular role.... or contemplate retirement if options are to play a reduce role and/or for a bottom standing team

You have any evidence of this or is this just your gut feeling?

Reality is, we have no frinking idea what is happening unless you are on the inside. So, I ask because it seems you know something.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Reality is, we have no frinking idea what is happening unless you are on the inside. So, I ask because it seems you know something.

I don't know anything. I just think the salary part is obvious, his cap hit last year was only 1 million + bonuses. He's not about to get a raise, it can't go a lot lower.

And with the way things have shaped up so far with the current Bruins D (Gryz extension, Zboril on a one-way contract, etc), I think we can imply that Chara isn't going to be attached to the hip of McAvoy for the bulk of the season as he was previously, I think they (Sweeney and Co.) want to see what the younger guys can do.

So I'm just going on what I can see (same as any other fan) and my gut. I have zero inside knowledge of the Bruins.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

No, I don't have insider knowledge. Just on a hunch/guess

evidence we know so far
- Chara has said he wants play next season and confident he can perform at a high level
- Bruins did not lock him up during last season for the upcoming season (which has been the pattern for several years now)
- Against TBL, Z role was reduced to third pairing to the point in game 5 (3rd period) he was sat out for the first 5-6 mins.

I'm not sure if its the reduced role or money, but if it was 2m and for him to play on a regular role, why wouldn't Chara take the offer? (if there is one). Unless he has had a change of heart due to young family /covid. But this doesn't jive with "exploring other team options" stated by his agent = not really satisfied with an aspect of the Bruins offer

Reactions: 4Orr

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
No, I don't have insider knowledge. Just on a hunch/guess

evidence we know so far
- Chara has said he wants play next season and confident he can perform at a high level
- Bruins did not lock him up during last season for the upcoming season (which has been the pattern for several years now)
- Against TBL, Z role was reduced to third pairing to the point in game 5 (3rd period) he was sat out for the first 5-6 mins.

I'm not sure if its the reduced role or money, but if it was 2m and for him to play on a regular role, why wouldn't Chara take the offer? (if there is one). Unless he has had a change of heart due to young family /covid. But this doesn't jive with "exploring other team options" stated by his agent = not really satisfied with an aspect of the Bruins offer

Well, his family for one. Having kids and family changes people. It really is a big factor for some and Chara seems to be that kind of guy. (Speculation) I personally think it weighs heavily on him.

I think the discussion are in good faith (gut feeling) and there is no way Chara leaves, it’s just going to be different than what we all are accustomed too . Doesn’t make sense for him to go anywhere. The Montreal rumors were silly. If he wants playing time, Montreal is the last place for him. Sometimes shit takes time. If the offers for Chara were so amazing than his agent would have jumped on them.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
underrated part of his game is being the safety net back there.

a big reason McAvoy looks so great flying around the ice and being so active offensively is because he can take risks. He knows if he gets caught up ice, its fine because he has Chara back there covering up
I saw it the other way. Thought, Mac was covering Chara lack of speed....

barstool

Nov 22, 2014
If Chara wants to stay on a few more years he has to go back to being a fighter these days he grabs a player in a semi headlock and whispers in his ear.

I think in the first game vs Tampa if Chara grabs Hedman and wipes the floor with him we win that series

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Hopefully Chara comes back for another season. I am not wanting him back for nostalgia, but because it looks like the Bs will need him. Obviously McAvoy was doing some heavy lifting last season, but he sure as hell wasn't making the Bs top D pairing effective by himself. Chara deserves a lot of credit. The stats show that. Maybe Z shouldn't be on the top pairing moving forward, but he is still one of the better defenders on the Bs, and arguably the most important piece on the PK. Subtracting Chara from the D next season, combined with how "well" DS is handling the offseason is a scary thought. I should also add that Z stays relatively healthy, unlike another D signed before him. Rask better have another Vezina-esque season.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Anyone else think that the effect toward team morale/leadership/reputation is worth perhaps overpaying Chara for? I don't want Don Sweeney to be penny wise and pound foolish by letting Chara walk here, then every future free agent will look and say "See what that organization does to its longtime captain who did so much for them" and turn us down.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Anyone else think that the effect toward team morale/leadership/reputation is worth perhaps overpaying Chara for? I don't want Don Sweeney to be penny wise and pound foolish by letting Chara walk here, then every future free agent will look and say "See what that organization does to its longtime captain who did so much for them" and turn us down.

Seriously? Bruins kept Chara onboard up until what 42 or 43...

You cant expect the Bruins to play a player until 45+ ... unless they play like they are 35

Chara skating and endurance has regressed ... it tires the rest of the team to try to overhelp. Especially Chara D partner

The Bruins offense also suffers because one player can never jump in/pinch

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I am praying we finally move on. It was a good run and its time.

Bergeron is well into his back 9 its totally unfair to him to not let him wear the C.

If Patrice Bergeron thinks about being captain for even a second, then I've totally mis-judged #37.

Does he deserve it? Yep. Does he care about it? Probably not until it happens.

Reactions: TD Charlie

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
If Patrice Bergeron thinks about being captain for even a second, then I've totally mis-judged #37.

Exactly. Either he's a leader in the locker room or he's not- no patch on a sweater will change that. I hope he cares far more about winning than how his jersey is stitched.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Exactly. Either he's a leader in the locker room or he's not- no patch on a sweater will change that. I hope he cares far more about winning than how his jersey is stitched.

I think Chara is taking his time, there are a lot of unknowns yet, primarily due to the virus.

From Fluto's article the other day.... Pretty sure the captaincy is the last thing on Bergeron's mind.

It may not be just Torey. Who knows what will happen with Zdeno. But what it would be like to not have him on the ice, on the bench, in the room?
I haven’t really thought about it. I’m not going to until there’s been a decision made. I don’t want to speculate or even have those thoughts going through my mind. There’s lots of time. We’ll see what happens. He’s a great leader, a friend, someone I respect a lot. We’ll see. I think it’s too early for me to make those comments. It’s not there yet.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
If Chara wants to stay on a few more years he has to go back to being a fighter these days he grabs a player in a semi headlock and whispers in his ear.

I think in the first game vs Tampa if Chara grabs Hedman and wipes the floor with him we win that series

If he injured him maybe but doubtful Chara wins that tilt enough that the team is somehow inspired to not play like garbage.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I can assure you that Bergeron would refuse to wear the C until Zdeno retires. Z has referred to he and Bergy as co-captains for many years now.

If they did move on from Z, Krejci gets the permanent A and then I think Marchand and Gryzelcyk would rotate the 2nd A as he and Krejci do now.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I can assure you that Bergeron would refuse to wear the C until Zdeno retires. Z has referred to he and Bergy as co-captains for many years now.

If they did move on from Z, Krejci gets the permanent A and then I think Marchand and Gryzelcyk would rotate the 2nd A as he and Krejci do now.
When did Bergeron say he would refuse to wear the C? I had no idea Bergerons loyalty was with Zdeno Chara and not the Bruins. Very disappointing to hear.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sort of feels like if a reunion were going to happen, it would have happened by now.

I go back to Emrick’s commentary in the waning moments of the Tampa series.

I’d have to imagine he knew something and that the writing was on the wall.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->