Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Getting a small breather from the craziness of early September I wanted to chime in on the future of Chara in Boston.

One of the more agreeable notions on the board these days is the fact the Bruins D-corps isn't really big enough and we've seen how effective a larger (while still mobile) group can push forwards out to the perimeter ala St. Louis and Tampa the past two years.

So in that respect, doesn't the largest D-man in league history have a place here where he can help?

But it comes down to management and the coaches having open communication with the Chara camp about where they see him on this team. Bottom line, he can't return and expect to play the same role he had last year. But I still see a place for him.

So how do they accomplish this? Well they need to bring in a big left-shot D-man to take some of the burden off Chara. Guys like Brendan Dillon and Joel Edmundson are examples. Not world-beaters but competent complimentary players. Face facts, most teams with No.1 D-men don't have them paireed up with a legitimate No.2 guy. Usually the No.2 anchors his own pair. They need a guy who compliments McAvoy on the ice and lessen the burden for Chara defensively.

Basically a guy who can pair-up with McAvoy, allow C-Mac some more freedom offensively, not expend so much energy breaking out of the zone as his LD partner can help more in that regard than Chara can. The most concerning part of Chara's play in the RTP tourny was how many times he deferred to McAvoy on puck retrivals, like he had no confidence he could get the puck and make a clean play. Thus McAvoy got exhausted and hammered by forecheckers as he always had the puck. That takes its toll. We saw the same thing in 2018 when Krug lost Carlo and got paired up with the more limited Miller.

Adding that complimentary left-shot big D-man allows them to:

Pair the new D up with McAvoy most of the time. Also allows for them to shift Gryz with McAvoy and the big LD can go with Carlo when they need a goal.

Place Chara on the 3rd pair. We all know what he did for McAvoy and Carlo. Well they've graduated now from the School of Chara. Why can't he be of benefit to Lauzon/Clfiton/Zboril/Vaak on the 3rd pairing? On back-2-backs run two of the kids and give Chara a rest.

Lessen his defensive zone starts as the 3rd pair will get a more even distribution of Off vs. Def zone starts.

Lessen his PK role. No longer does he have to be the 1st option to jump over the boards on the PK. Let the new LD start the PK, let Chara finish it. Also allows them to employ Chara with the new LD when Carlo is in the box.

Why wouldn't this work? It's hard to judge Chara too much on the RTP (so many strange variables involved) but he was still having a pretty darn good season prior to the shut-down. Certainly he should be able to fill the role next year as outlined above. The key is finding that big LD to ease his burden and reduce his role to a more appropriate level.

Reactions: EdH and JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Getting a small breather from the craziness of early September I wanted to chime in on the future of Chara in Boston.

One of the more agreeable notions on the board these days is the fact the Bruins D-corps isn't really big enough and we've seen how effective a larger (while still mobile) group can push forwards out to the perimeter ala St. Louis and Tampa the past two years.

So in that respect, doesn't the largest D-man in league history have a place here where he can help?

But it comes down to management and the coaches having open communication with the Chara camp about where they see him on this team. Bottom line, he can't return and expect to play the same role he had last year. But I still see a place for him.

So how do they accomplish this? Well they need to bring in a big left-shot D-man to take some of the burden off Chara. Guys like Brendan Dillon and Joel Edmundson are examples. Not world-beaters but competent complimentary players. Face facts, most teams with No.1 D-men don't have them paireed up with a legitimate No.2 guy. Usually the No.2 anchors his own pair. They need a guy who compliments McAvoy on the ice and lessen the burden for Chara defensively.

Basically a guy who can pair-up with McAvoy, allow C-Mac some more freedom offensively, not expend so much energy breaking out of the zone as his LD partner can help more in that regard than Chara can. The most concerning part of Chara's play in the RTP tourny was how many times he deferred to McAvoy on puck retrivals, like he had no confidence he could get the puck and make a clean play. Thus McAvoy got exhausted and hammered by forecheckers as he always had the puck. That takes its toll. We saw the same thing in 2018 when Krug lost Carlo and got paired up with the more limited Miller.

Pair the new D up with McAvoy most of the time. Also allows for them to shift Gryz with McAvoy and the big LD can go with Carlo when they need a goal.

Place Chara on the 3rd pair. We all know what he did for McAvoy and Carlo. Well they've graduated now from the School of Chara. Why can't he be of benefit to Lauzon/Clfiton/Zboril/Vaak on the 3rd pairing? On back-2-backs run two of the kids and give Chara a rest.

Lessen his defensive zone starts as the 3rd pair will get a more even distribution of Off vs. Def zone starts.

Lessen his PK role. No longer does he have to be the 1st option to jump over the boards on the PK. Let the new LD start the PK, let Chara finish it. Also allows them to employ Chara with the new LD when Carlo is in the box.

Why wouldn't this work? It's hard to judge Chara too much on the RTP (so many strange variables involved) but he was still having a pretty darn good season prior to the shut-down. Certainly he should be able to fill the role next year as outlined above. The key is finding that big LD to ease his burden and reduce his role to a more appropriate level.
Very well said!

So long as Chara is onboard with it (cant see why he wouldnt be. If anything Im more worried about Sweeney and Co. and what they're plans are) he should be brought back as the number 5 and play lesser minutes. He's still a very solid shutdown guy in this league. Also as you said with back to backs and throwing Lauzon/Clifton out there- lessening his workload throughout the year will also help him late in the season/playoffs.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sorry guys, I don't like it. Maybe Chara could play an effective role in a 3rd pair limited minutes/PK role (I have my doubts about even that). But I tell you, the way coaches are in general, and Cassidy is no different, it won't be too long before someone like Zboril or Lauzon has a tough couple of games and Chara is back logging big minutes. To quote @The don godfather, "book it."

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The time is now. Look the Patriots and Brady.

You must hate Bergeron and not want him to ever wear the C if you want Chara back.

He can play on any other teams 3rd pairing just not ours.

Reactions: JOKER 192

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The time is now. Look the Patriots and Brady.

You must hate Bergeron and not want him to ever wear the C if you want Chara back.

He can play on any other teams 3rd pairing just not ours.

Love Bergy but could care less if he ever wears the "C" as a Bruin. Makes zero, zero, zero difference to me. The "C" is more for media and fans to fawn over, I don't believe it's anywhere near as important as fans/media make it out to be.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Love Bergy but could care less if he ever wears the "C" as a Bruin. Makes zero, zero, zero difference to me. The "C" is more for media and fans to fawn over, I don't believe it's anywhere near as important as fans/media make it out to be.

As much as I want to see Bergeron wear the "C" I always remind myself that Bobby never wore it.

Bobby is the greatest.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

A few years ago, i felt Ryan Lindgren had the best overall game to pair with McAvoy among our D prospects. Mobile, quick, can handle the puck, high level of tenacity, and similar in size as McAvoy. I thought it would have been perfect. Lindgren may not have the puck skills to be a true top pairing guy, but as a complementary piece to the alpha, he would have been perfect. Bruins kind of have that with Grz, but his size limits his overall effectiveness and while I'm an advocate for putting them together, i wonder if Grz's body could hold up as the season went on.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Chara stinks so bad even though every possible statistic disagrees with that.

Zboril would be so much better!

You know statistics are only part of any story- surely you watched the guy this past bubble post-season. As for Zboril being so much better, I don't think anyone has said that he would be necessarily, but in order to find out, whether it is he, Lauzon, Vaak, Ahcan, etc. there has to be minutes available.

Reactions: Estlin

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Time is up. He is a legend and should remain so for the B's but the legend should carry on off the ice at this point and pass the guard.

Carlo-Pietrangelo
Gryz-McAvoy
Zboril-Lauzon
Clifton

PP1 - 4th Forward-Pietrangelo
PP2 - Gryz-McAvoy

PK1 - Carlo-Pietrangelo
PK2-Zboril-McAvoy

Each pairing can play with pace and skate, has a decent mix of size, and a hitter and a guy that can and will clear the crease. You can groom Zboril into a PP player swapping out the 4th forward if he shows he can control the line and get pucks on net.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I’m ok with not resigning Chara. The one thing we better get back is one player other teams fear when the going gets tough. Chara made our team 2 inches taller as a whole. Intimidation is still a part of this game.

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
Not sure who caught the documentary but I thought it was awesome. There’s no way you don’t put all your chips in and bring Z back for one more shot. If anyone deserves to go out on top it’s him. I’ve even thought of the possibility of saving him. Sign him half way through the year. Let him get his feet and gear up for playoffs.

and good god does watching that series again hurt all the same. Sometimes life’s not fair. They were an OT away from being up 3-0. They were a horrendous non call away from being up 3-1. They dominated that first period of game 7 and came out down 2. To this day I have no idea how that Marchand shot doesn’t go in. That was their cup. Their storybook ending. And it just didn’t happen. I’ll never get over that one

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
In a limited role, Z can still help the Bruins. I would like to have him back for one more season and a proper farewell. Yes, in appreciation for past performance, not necessarily what he brings now. He deserves it.
Limit his role a little more, but I’m sorry - the dude can still bring it on the ice.

IMO it’s Chara who makes this decision. As long as he feels he can play, I’m inclined to agree with him. And I wouldn’t want him anywhere but Boston.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
If he’s willing to sign a cheap contract, I would bring him back in a more limited capacity. Maybe not even to play every game, we should also start seeing what we have in the likes of Vaak and Zboril and they need playing time to show us. But I think Chara can still be a plus for this team, if deployed correctly.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I’m ok with not resigning Chara. The one thing we better get back is one player other teams fear when the going gets tough. Chara made our team 2 inches taller as a whole. Intimidation is still a part of this game.
That was right for intimidation... but imo not sure the past two years. Chara and the Bruins were abuse.

As for Chara i have mixed opinion. During the season, thought he was playing well, but in the bubble league and PO, he was well everyone saw it, it was not very good imo.

He will have 1 year added on the board, and another 2-3 months of inactivity. I want him back as a fan...but will it be better for the Bruins will depend on what moves Boston will do. They need size which Chara brings but with mobility (which Chara does not have).

If Chara come back...i am not sure he won’t log big minutes. Not sure Cassidy can explain to Chara he will only play 10 minutes a game and i am not sure Chara will accept it. Will see, tough one.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Thanks for the memories and the cup win, but time to move on big guy.

Indeed. Sweeney needs to be a bit ruthless in his job, especially now. It's no time to be sentimental. Besides, Boston needs to see what it has in Zboril (and, to a lesser extent, Lauzon), and keeping Chara around blocks the development of the young LHD.

Reactions: Dr Hook and LSCII

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Can’t find better than Chara at 1-2M.

Top PKer and was shuting down opposing team top players this year.

He would eat alive 3rd-4th lines and still be a big part in one of the better PK in the league.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Can’t find better than Chara at 1-2M.

Top PKer and was shuting down opposing team top players this year.

He would eat alive 3rd-4th lines and still be a big part in one of the better PK in the league.

Sure, but you have to also consider the impact of them bringing back Chara. He's essentially a part time player that if they were being honest, would benefit from being spotted in specific situations. You factor that in, along with what young guys he's blocking, and you have to decide whether it's best to move on and let the next generation attempt to make the jump, or to see if you can get a few more miles out of a player with very little tread left. I personally would rather see them pull the band off quickly instead of limping along over the course of 3-4 years, which is what Chara's descent has been.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad