Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Great. How was he in the playoffs?

That “Steamroller” looked like a fisher price toy this past week.

Bruins lost to the 2nd best team in the league this year.

He looked dominating against Carolina and not so good against TB but was on the ice for only two 5 on 5 goals I think.

In the end, like many others, could have played better in that series.

Still take him back. Can’t find better for 2M and less.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
As long as they make the top priority to acquire another top 4 D I’m fine with bringing him back.

The likes of Robert Bortuzzo, Christian Djoos, and Ben Lovejoy have been on bottom pairings of Stanley Cup winning teams recently. Chara has value just based on his stick and size alone.

He can be one of the better bottom pairing/PK guys in the league on a cheap contract. But they have to get another top 4 guy and make sure that is the plan.
The expansion draft is something to keep in mind as well. I'd personally keep Chara on a cheap one year deal as insurance. If we can get a 1 year mercenary contract out of a guy, that'd be nice. I honestly don't even know any under the radar UFA's coming up.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
As some others have said I'd be fine with him playing 3rd pairing, PK minutes. But it won't happen. If he's back, we're going to lean on him again and we just can't do that... For his sake and ours.

McAvoy is already The Guy but I know next season he'll be out there all game long the second our young guys start to struggle. Tough call. I think he has enough juice to play another year but wouldn't be opposed to him going out on a somewhat positive note. I really don't want to see him retire after getting injured or not being able to compete at the NHL level.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bruins lost to the 2nd best team in the league this year.

He looked dominating against Carolina and not so good against TB but was on the ice for only two 5 on 5 goals I think.

In the end, like many others, could have played better in that series.

Still take him back. Can’t find better for 2M and less.
They got dummied against the “second best team in the league” - Honestly, they’re the better team.

I wouldn’t say he looked “dominating” either, that’s a stretch.

Also, you’re sugar coating “not so good” - He looked god awful, like to the point where it was an issue.

If you’re playing him bottom 6 minutes, yeah, maybe it’s not so bad. That said, if that’s the case, who are your top 4? McAvoy, Carlo? Who else? Krug will be gone. They flat out need to acquire a top 2 d-man to hide him.

Reactions: BBB24

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Transition dies on his stick and in today's game, quick transition up the ice is the precursor to sustained attack. He can't be trusted to skate with the puck out of the zone and his reads as he's looking to make a pass up the ice has taken a huge nose dive the past 2 seasons. How many times have you seen Chara skate laterally with the puck on his stick as he's trying to open up a passing line, take too long to move from point A to B, and then make a seam pass that's off target?

Around his own net, he's still in elite company but the further out he goes, Chara starts to sink drastically.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Transition dies on his stick and in today's game, quick transition up the ice is the precursor to sustained attack. He can't be trusted to skate with the puck out of the zone and his reads as he's looking to make a pass up the ice has taken a huge nose dive the past 2 seasons. How many times have you seen Chara skate laterally with the puck on his stick as he's trying to open up a passing line, take too long to move from point A to B, and then make a seam pass that's off target?

Around his own net, he's still in elite company but the further out he goes, Chara starts to sink drastically.

That is why you stop playing him when Pasta and skills guys are on the ice and start playing him against scrubs like Maroon instead of Point and Kucherov.

Reactions: BTO

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Obviously he has no one close to him to tell him the truth. He will take a kids spot and play top 2 again all year. PK is not a hard thing to replace as a deeman, we did 4 minutes last game and they were great without him. Sad to see a guy not know when it is time to gracefully walk away. We really need to find some dee that can put up points if Krug walks and Chara and his 2 assists and minus 4 in the playoffs does not instill that.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Obviously he has no one close to him to tell him the truth. He will take a kids spot and play top 2 again all year. PK is not a hard thing to replace as a deeman, we did 4 minutes last game and they were great without him. Sad to see a guy not know when it is time to gracefully walk away. We really need to find some dee that can put up points if Krug walks and Chara and his 2 assists and minus 4 in the playoffs does not instill that.

Once again...who replaces this?

He was 5th in the NHL in defensive point shares, and 8th in +/-

MetricValueTeam Rank
+/-+261st
Def Point Shares5.02nd
Blocks1012nd
D-zone%63.7%1st
ES TOI17:272nd
SH TOI3:101st
ES GA/602.02nd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

MetricValueTeam Rank
+/-+261st
Def Point Shares5.02nd
Blocks1012nd
D-zone%63.7%1st
ES GA/602.02nd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I guess he does as he will be top 2 all year. I imagine he will play a lot of minutes and we will develop none of the young guys but Mac.

Playoffs is when teams ramp it up and he was a liability. Tampa threw the puck in his corner, he would lose it or pass into someones feet or flip it nowhere. Mac compensates a lot of his skating trying to bail him out. If he plays 3rd pairing maybe it can work but we have to start the new core sometime

Last edited:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

MetricValueTeam Rank
+/-+261st
Def Point Shares5.02nd
Blocks1012nd
D-zone%63.7%1st
ES GA/602.02nd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It’s that time of the year where nonsense posts appear without any backing.

Chara is done

Habs will make the playoffs/should be feared :laugh:

Bruins are no more elite and Sabres/Panthers will take the next step

One time these bad predictions will maybe happen. Not likely tough. Wrong every year...

Bruins are a top team again next year.

HoF Chara who was still effective this year on the President and Jennings trophy winner team and played against opposing teams top players wants to come back on a cheap contract?

No brainer.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I don’t want to see it. Each year most of us say “you know, I hope this is Chara’s last run, he looks slow” - Next season starts, Yep, looks slower. What’s happening next year? He’s going to be slower again.

I love the guy but it’s time. It’s time we add a guy or take another step in developing others.

I'm surprised by this if for no other reason than he is more or less our last bastion of intimidation currently in the lineup. I would think that alone would earn him favour with you.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Not good if Chara returns. Lauzon and Zboril deserve regular roles in Boston, but Chara will block that. He’s just not good anymore. I think that Chara is being a bit selfish, frankly. Maybe he’s chasing Chelios’s games played by a defenseman record or something.

...sorry, Zboril "deserves" a regular role? What did he do to earn this, exactly?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
...sorry, Zboril "deserves" a regular role? What did he do to earn this, exactly?
See the problem is this quite simple. The Bruins have young players at defence. UV, Lauzon, Zboril, Clifton, Moore ( I said it lol) either they play or some go in a trade. I hear every TDL can’t trade them but they are never playing enough. So give them a chance or move them. I know about
depth they have enough regardless if Krug walks and will. Frees up money.

Now you can’t get nothing in a trade for them. Why? They are highly valued on this board.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Let's put it another way- he, Vaak, Lauzon (whoever else Wolff, Ahcan etc) deserve a chance to earn a regular role. In Zboril's case, he has done all that he can in the AHL. It may be that he doesn't end up becoming a regular for the Bruins, but we will never know so long as he doesn't get his chance at an extended run of playing time. Which he won't get so long as Chara is there. The Bruins deserve Zboril or someone getting a chance too, because Chara will be gone at some point soon however much he wishes he could keep it going, and it would be a shame that a young, homegrown LD that could have taken the roster spot has moved on or withered away into AHL mediocrity in the meantime.

Reactions: Estlin

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
It’s that time of the year where nonsense posts appear without any backing.

Chara is done

Habs will make the playoffs/should be feared :laugh:

Bruins are no more elite and Sabres/Panthers will take the next step

One time these bad predictions will maybe happen. Not likely tough. Wrong every year...

Bruins are a top team again next year.

HoF Chara who was still effective this year on the President and Jennings trophy winner team and played against opposing teams top players wants to come back on a cheap contract?

No brainer.
Agree with your points.
Chara shipped has sailed, lets move on and give one of the kids playing time.
The Habs surprised me, Suzuki was a great pickup and they have some good young players getting better each year.
Their issue will be on dee, Weber is getting old and other than Petry, they do not have much.
They also have 10 draft picks in rounds 1-5 this year and next year, so the cupboards will be full for the HABS.

Sabres have made some terrrible picks in the draft the last 5 years, hope they continue this trend.
Panthers have lots of UFA's to contend with this year, not sure how they will make out next year.
Bruins will be a contender next year, no doubt about that. We need to make some smart/ strategic moves with trades and signings this off season.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Let's put it another way- he, Vaak, Lauzon (whoever else Wolff, Ahcan etc) deserve a chance to earn a regular role. In Zboril's case, he has done all that he can in the AHL. It may be that he doesn't end up becoming a regular for the Bruins, but we will never know so long as he doesn't get his chance at an extended run of playing time. Which he won't get so long as Chara is there. The Bruins deserve Zboril or someone getting a chance too, because Chara will be gone at some point soon however much he wishes he could keep it going, and it would be a shame that a young, homegrown LD that could have taken the roster spot has moved on or withered away into AHL mediocrity in the meantime.

The thing is, players that should be on the varsity squad largely force their way onto the varsity squad.

Reactions: Root

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The thing is, players that should be on the varsity squad largely force their way onto the varsity squad.

Fair point- I would suggest in this case, though, because Chara is Chara and he is as much reputation, legend, etc, as anything else, (especially these days and if we are honest and he was a UFA from another team not one of us would want the team to sign the guy) the path is harder than it should be for these guys.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Root

Feb 22, 2010
He's still solid defensively. If he comes back on a one year deal between 1M-2M and understands he's not playing every game he's still an asset. Especially if Krug is gone. Don't undervalue the leadership, if we lose both Chara and Krug that's a lot of youth on the defense. Even if you sign a veteran guy for the top 4, it's not going to be someone thats had as much success as Chara.

Not to mention it should be easier on Chara if they get another left shot defenseman that is capable of playing against top 6 players. Krug and Gryz can't do it consistently. Honestly, I don't think Gryz can do it at all in the playoffs.

I hope they try to sign Brenden Dillon...

Dillon-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Chara/Lauzon-Clifton/Lauzon

Hopefully Lauzon makes a jump and forces Gryz out of the top 4 by next years playoffs.

False Start

May 8, 2018
He needs to not play with McAvoy.

We're holding McAvoy back from being on the same level as guys like Heiskanen, Makar, Hughes. He can be dynamite from the backend if he's allowed a little more freedom.

Reactions: BTO

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm surprised by this if for no other reason than he is more or less our last bastion of intimidation currently in the lineup. I would think that alone would earn him favour with you.
He’s not intimating anymore though. Gone are the angry Chara days, he now “takes it easy” on people.

He’s too slow to catch anyone with a hard hit right now, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->