Waived: Zbynek Michalek and Klas Dahlbeck (Update: Hurricanes claim Dahlbeck)

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Really surprising, in a good way though. With all these young players coming in, Vermette bought out, Z on waivers it's almost like we've got a new coach.

But now I'm more confused as to why DeAngelo got sent down..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They probably won't assign either but you buy time (10 games or 30 days) before they count as "on-roster" again after clearing waivers. This is probably a paper waiving (at least in Michalek's case), not unlike what we saw with John Scott every 30 days last season.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Really surprising, in a good way though. With all these young players coming in, Vermette bought out, Z on waivers it's almost like we've got a new coach.

Domi and Duclair's success may have altered Tippett's and ownerships' view of the direction of the team. Two rookies being two of your top 3 or 4 could do that. I'm excited about the direction of the team for the first time in maybe....ever.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I don't remember which article I read, but Playfair and the coaching staff were pretty hard on DeAngelo and intimated that he had some elements in his play that were unacceptable at the NHL level.

Don't expect him to be down there for long, though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Z won't have to report, they'll just do this all season unless he gets claimed.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Since DeAngelo got sent down and Z and Dahlbeck are on waivers, this might mean Chychrun is taking the bottom pairing role for the entire season with KConn as the 7th.

Very possible. I think after seeing Chychrun more and more I'd prefer he have one more ohl year to refine his offensive game, but I don't think he'll look out of place.
I don't remember which article I read, but Playfair and the coaching staff were pretty hard on DeAngelo and intimated that he had some elements in his play that were unacceptable at the NHL level.

Don't expect him to be down there for long, though.

Huh if you find it please post it.
That's pretty surprising. Z looked good at the WC.

He looked good for two weeks last year too.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008

Huh if you find it please post it.

I believe this is what he's refering to:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-w...lo-working-to-shed-his-past-build-his-future/

“He’s a really, really great competitor, he obviously has great offensive tools and he’s really poised with the puck,†Coyotes associate coach Jim Playfair said. “He’s the model of today’s defenseman in the NHL.â€

It’s the other areas that will determine whether DeAngelo sees time this season with the NHL club, or plays the season with Tucson of the American Hockey League.

“That’s the balance I’m trying to strike with this kid,†said Playfair, who coaches the defensemen. “How does he pick up what I’m laying down? How much is he going to view as being important information? I think he’s gotten a sense that a lot of my stuff is only going to be about the defensive side of the game, which isn’t true. It’s a 200-foot by 85-foot teaching focus we have with the group and he’s no different.

“In order for him to be an NHL player, there are some things that are non-negotiable to adapt to this level and win at this level. You can play the way you want to play but is that conducive to the team winning consistently? That’s the message we’re going to have to work on with him and he’s going to have to want to buy into it.â€

Playfair watched video with DeAngelo last week to examine how he was managing his ice and his positioning when he doesn’t have the puck. DeAngelo professes a commitment to understanding those nuances.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sounds like a bit of an attitude problem.
If only there had been warning flags... haha

He'll neither mature and figure it out, or he won't.

Also, Jim Playfair has a bit of his own attitude, but whatever

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It doesn't sound like an attitude problem with the Coyotes. It sounds like they are making sure the attitude problem he had prior to being here doesn't show itself. I think they are approaching him perfectly.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

That's a bit troubling, but that's why he only cost a 2nd rounder. Hopefully hearing the same thing from his second NHL team wakes him up to the fact that this isn't negotiable.

The whole article isn't quite as negative as just that quote. Here's a quote from deangelo himself.

“I want to turn into a good, two-way defenseman,” he said. “I think I have the offensive part, but taking care of defense as well is something that’s important.”

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's all about timing and maturity of the kids.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I'm glad Playfair is taking a no nonsense stance. DeAngelo will be all that much better for it if he takes it to heart. I have never been happy with Playfair as a coach but maybe it wasn't him but the players he was given.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Obviously DeAngelo has issues otherwise he would be in Tampa's line up this minute

The whole point of spending a second on a young guy like him is that you are prepared to work with him; it will take time

Getting or allowing one of the assistant coaches to make comments in national press after training camp... was it really necessary?

You sent the kid down, the message is strong enough; you work with him via Tucson coaches - no need to make public comments.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It doesn't sound like an attitude problem with the Coyotes. It sounds like they are making sure the attitude problem he had prior to being here doesn't show itself. I think they are approaching him perfectly.

That's the way I read it. They see the talent and are taking the time to give him the coaching he needs. Nothing wrong with that. He's still young enough to develop quite a bit.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Getting traded hopefully kicked DeAngelos ass into gear. He's prob never had a team say, "yeah, we don't want ya" hopefully it knocked some sense into him,

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Obviously DeAngelo has issues otherwise he would be in Tampa's line up this minute

The whole point of spending a second on a young guy like him is that you are prepared to work with him; it will take time

Getting or allowing one of the assistant coaches to make comments in national press after training camp... was it really necessary?

You sent the kid down, the message is strong enough; you work with him via Tucson coaches - no need to make public comments.

I think you are reading too much into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad