ZAUGG: Watch the BBC Line

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006
jcorb58 said:
I dont dissagre that the famous KLM line was the best, however, i cant see how some people can disagree that the circumstances sourounding them didnt help them reach their potential as a unit. Lets say for example we Canadians could put a Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman line together ( albeit they would have to play out of position). Let them play 5-6 yrs together practicing and competing as a unit in all games and tournaments. You cant convince me that they would not be as good or better than the Russians. We dont have the luxury of being able to give our players anything other than an allstar format like the Russians now also have to do. I am not saying they are not great players. If that system still excisted today they could put AO, Malkin and Kovy together and probubly have a line that could compare with KLM. How about if Sweden could do the same with Naslund, Forsberg and Sundin? Or Canadas future line of Crosby, Spezza and Staal.

Well, obviously Gretzky and Lemieux didn't really need to play and practically live together for 5-6 years to dominate like the KLM line (see Canada Cup '87) ;)

Zorkan

As any swiss hockey fan knows, Klaus Zaugg is an idiot. He works
for a tabloid and is a self-proclaimed hockey expert. I can't believe
they let him write articles for the IIHF.

One thing that was not stated so far however is that hockey got
a lot more athletic since the KLM line. A statement that Crosby,
Bergeron and Boyes are more complete players than K, L and M
has to be considered with that in mind. I'm not saying they are.
However, it would be interesting to see how KLM would fare
nowadays. Heck, it would even be interesting to see how Gretzky
fared the last few years if people actually checked him... ;-) *hide*

VladNYC*

I really don't think any one from the west should be throwing the world "Gulag" around like you guys have been. You guys should be ashamed of your selves. comparing what happened to the people in the gulags and playing hockey.

You guys are idiots :madfire:

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
Zorkan said:
nowadays. Heck, it would even be interesting to see how Gretzky
fared the last few years if people actually checked him... ;-) *hide*

You should also keep in mind that KLM line would have benefited immensely from today's "zero tolerance" rules. Back in the 80s, the only possible way to stop them was hooking and holding, just check out Canada Cup 87.

And yes, Gretzky never endured anything like this. BTW, does somebody have a clip of McCreary nailing Gretzky at the blueline as he entered the zone? They guy never played another game in the NHL, and from Gretzky's initial reaction it looked like he would never play, too.

Last edited:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Zorkan said:
nowadays.
Maybe they would be more athletic themselves.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
VladNYC said:
I really don't think any one from the west should be throwing the world "Gulag" around like you guys have been. You guys should be ashamed of your selves. comparing what happened to the people in the gulags and playing hockey.

You guys are idiots :madfire:

Agreed.

At least on the first point... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad