ZAR

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
For the record I think my comparison to the later-year Kunitz was pretty accurate. Dude throws a shot on net every now and then - plays the puck on the boards - throws a check - aaaand that's it.

Kunitz was a more physical player at the end of his career than at the beginning of it and his SoG totals were pretty steady throughout his career...

Again...do you folks looks up actual statistics before offering such “detailed” analysis?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Kunitz was a more physical player at the end of his career than at the beginning of it and his SoG totals were pretty steady throughout his career...

Again...do you folks looks up actual statistics before offering such “detailed” analysis?

You're just proving the point further. I specifically mentioned later-year Kunitz.

Kunitz threw shots on net...so does ZAR. Kunitz threw the occasional body check...so does ZAR. Kunitz played the puck 'hard' on the boards....so does ZAR. Kunitz found his way in the top 6 because he tried hard and was 'there'...so does ZAR. Neither seem to ever finish the chances set up for them by Sid/Geno - neither belong anywhere near the top 6 when you weigh in actual stick skills, skating abilities, and finishing, but...corsi says shots on net >>>> eye test.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
You're just proving the point further. I specifically mentioned later-year Kunitz.

Kunitz threw shots on net...so does ZAR. Kunitz threw the occasional body check...so does ZAR. Kunitz played the puck 'hard' on the boards....so does ZAR. Kunitz found his way in the top 6 because he tried hard and was 'there'...so does ZAR. Neither seem to ever finish the chances set up for them by Sid/Geno - neither belong anywhere near the top 6 when you weigh in actual stick skills, skating abilities, and finishing, but...corsi says shots on net >>>> eye test.

Except for the fact that everything you’ve now twice stated about Kunitz was wrong.

And I’m sorry...if Sid has 50 goals what does that mean? It doesn’t pass the eye test?!?

Corsi isn’t shots on net...it’s shots attempted and people who are in the business of hockey find Corsi as overused as it is misused. It’s a tool that analyzes goaltenders’ workload no matter what myths about it are promoted by Hockey writers quoting Bob McKenzie...

The eye test is that he made Phil and Geno better. The eye test is that when he was called up he stabilized the fourth line. The eye test is that he hit everything that he could with the TOI he had and claiming otherwise implies blindness. The eye test is that he stabilized the PK when he was called up. The eye test is that he complimented Rust and helped him break out of his slump while the rest of the team went into one.

Again...kid has played less than a season...let him get seasoned - which 90% of NCAA signings require...including...wait for it Chris Kunitz - before making useless comparisons that have little to no basis in reality...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Do you folks actually check stats before you spout this nonsense?

43 Games:

37 blocked shots...1.5 more TKs than GVs...fixture on kill - including 5 on 3s - and most of his assists were the result of winning board battles...61.3 of his shot attempts were on net...and you do know that a forecheck doesn’t have to result in a direct turnover but can force a bad pass or an icing?

Kid hasn’t played a full season at the level. Analyzing his career is one thing...ignoring what he’s brought while offering such an analysis is silly.

I think you’re a family member of ZAR’s...say hi to him for us...

he does some good things especially on the P.K, but he’s inconsistent and not a strong enough defensive player, forechecker or board battler...I’ve watched him a lot so I’ll stand by that...could he improve? Maybe, but given all his injuries and that he’s 25 this year, and that’s pretty much the time forwards have developed by already, I’m not interested in us spending any more assets on him...

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Except for the fact that everything you’ve now twice stated about Kunitz was wrong.

And I’m sorry...if Sid has 50 goals what does that mean? It doesn’t pass the eye test?!?

Corsi isn’t shots on net...it’s shots attempted and people who are in the business of hockey find Corsi as overused as it is misused. It’s a tool that analyzes goaltenders’ workload no matter what myths about it are promoted by Hockey writers quoting Bob McKenzie...

The eye test is that he made Phil and Geno better. The eye test is that when he was called up he stabilized the fourth line. The eye test is that he hit everything that he could with the TOI he had and claiming otherwise implies blindness. The eye test is that he stabilized the PK when he was called up. The eye test is that he complimented Rust and helped him break out of his slump while the rest of the team went into one.

Again...kid has played less than a season...let him get seasoned - which 90% of NCAA signings require - before making useless comparisons that have little to no basis in reality...

Kunitz flat out sucked in his last couple seasons here. Sorry to offend you - but he did. Had he played a depth role on a defensive 3rd line, or checking role chip and chase 4th line...sure (though would have been overpaid at 4M) - on Sid's line he was a boat anchor. There's absolutely no defense to the chances he ruined for Sid and how slow and useless he was there.

ZAR did not make Phil and Geno better. They went through stretches unrelated to ZAR of which Phil might backcheck for a game or two, Geno might score a goal or two - but they were both streaky all season. Nothing they were doing was related to freaking ZAR that's absurd.

Your last sentence - I'm not calling for him to be cast away, but what do you think he deserves? He's not better than ANY of our depth guys. I specifically said if he's making bottom-depth money or gets a prove me deal that's completely acceptable, but going on these tirades about how good ZAR are part of the reason you have people blasting him...dudes' just not that good. He's your average depth piece - and those can be found on every single NHL club and in most minor clubs. If he commands anything more than mediocre wages look elsewhere.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA

he does some good things especially on the P.K, but he’s inconsistent and not a strong enough defensive player, forechecker or board battler...I’ve watched him a lot so I’ll stand by that...could he improve? Maybe, but given all his injuries and that he’s 25 this year, and that’s pretty much the time forwards have developed by already, I’m not interested in us spending any more assets on him...

Isn’t this a thread about ZAR? Having an opinion contrary to the usually doom and gloom makes me what? His Uncle?

A) NCAA players tend to develop later Kunitz is an example. Bonino an example. Boyle an example. Drury is an example. Orpik is an example, and frankly, so are Rust and Sheary.

B) Go look at Malkin, Rust, Murray, Hornqvist the number of full seasons that they have played. He was up for 60 games played 43...every player I mentioned above was up for 82 and played a similar % of the season several times over...

I’m not crowning the kid as a Hart trophy candidate nor am I taking a relatively small body of work, which has revealed far more good than bad, and declaring him a bust.

I think his upside is huge. It’s going to be an important off season for him. Let’s hope for the sake of the team that he makes the most of it.

No?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Comments like that paint you as one to not be taken seriously. Kid should have won the Hobey the year he was up for it.

Worst you can say is that after playing, cumulatively, less than a season that the book is still out on him.

Being in contention for the Hobey Baker doesn't mean you qualify as a skilled player at the NHL level.

Comments like that paint you as one to not be taken seriously. ;)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Isn’t this a thread about ZAR? Having an opinion contrary to the usually doom and gloom makes me what? His Uncle?

A) NCAA players tend to develop later Kunitz is an example. Bonino an example. Boyle an example. Drury is an example. Orpik is an example, and frankly, so are Rust and Sheary.

B) Go look at Malkin, Rust, Murray, Hornqvist the number of full seasons that they have played. He was up for 60 games played 43...every player I mentioned above was up for 82 and played a similar % of the season several times over...

Im not crowning the kid as a Hart trophy candidate nor am I taking a relatively small body of work, which has revealed far more good than bad,

I think his upside is huge. It’s going to be an important off season for him. Let’s hope for the sake of the team that he makes the most of it.

No?

I disagree about the player. I don’t think his upside is huge or even much more than we’ve seen, but we’ll see.,.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
Being in contention for the Hobey Baker doesn't mean you qualify as a skilled player at the NHL level.

He lead the nation in scoring his Senior year.

There is skill and it has been displayed at times at the NHL level. He needs to show consistency.

But you can feel free to take whatever comments of mine out of context if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It does speak to people doubting his abilities though. People act like ZAR is Glass around here which simply isn’t true.

He scored at nearly the same rate as Sprong in Anaheim.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
Kunitz flat out sucked in his last couple seasons here.

Your description of Kunitz “he threw the occasional body check and occasional shot” are at odds with reality. His hits went up and his SoG remained steady to what they were earlier.

Was he an effective player his last couple of seasons here? No. I agree.

ZAR did not make Phil and Geno better.

Geno and Malkin were borderline being booed prior to and during the game versus the Rangers. Go replay the third period of that game and then the several games thereafter...Geno started scoring again.

So...maybe *better* is the wrong word. He certainly made them more effective. As he did earlier in that game versus...I think it was the Devils.

ZAR was signed to be a middle six guy. By all appearances he should fit that role capably. Ditto Simon. Both, btw, are better than Blueger...

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA

Btw, I brought up the Hobey based upon your comparison to Bennet who absolutely sucked at Denver and displayed little to no skill whatsoever at the NCAA level.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bennett was way more productive than ZAR in college, when comparing their freshman and sophomore years.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
Bennett was way more productive than ZAR in college, when comparing their freshman and sophomore years.

Bennett was often a first line player with Drew Shore and Jason Zucker (Minnesota) at Denver. ZAR was a fourth line player at Northeastern his Freshman year with Tanner Pond and “also playing tonight”. He was a third line player beginning his sophomore year but ended the year on the second. Bennett didn’t make it past 10 games his sophomore year.

And that’s not even getting into the whole Hockey East versus WCHA debate...

If you haven’t figured it out yet I’m a cawlidgehockey geek...

Saying Bennet was way more productive is at odds with reality. Implying Bennet brought more skill to the NHL level is just a silly statement.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Again...kid has played less than a season...let him get seasoned - which 90% of NCAA signings require...including...wait for it Chris Kunitz - before making useless comparisons that have little to no basis in reality...

Uh for perhaps a 2 week period that was the case. Then ZAR turned into what he is: a 4th liner who throws the occasional hit. There about 75 of these guys in the league at the moment. The eye test says ZAR is a bad skater but is above average on the boards

And the reason ZAR has played less than a season is because he can't stay healthy

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
Uh for perhaps a 2 week period that was the case. Then ZAR turned into what he is: a 4th liner who throws the occasional hit. There about 75 of these guys in the league at the moment. The eye test says ZAR is a bad skater but is above average on the boards

And the reason ZAR has played less than a season is because he can't stay
healthy

Uh...dude...the reason that he hasn’t played a full season is because he hasn’t been on the roster for a full season.

How many full seasons has Malkin played? Kunitz? Staal? Rust? Murray? Hornqvist? Dumolin? Schultz?

Who has been the healthiest player on the Pens? Kessel...the guy everyone wants to trade...

You know how old Kunitz was when he hit stride? 27...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Uh...dude...the reason that he hasn’t played a full season is because he hasn’t been on the roster for a full season.

How many full seasons has Malkin played? Kunitz? Staal? Rust? Murray? Hornqvist? Dumolin? Schultz?

How many games has ZAR missed over his 1.5 seasons with the Pens?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

methink he is not good on PK, always step late...when he is in we collapse, thats shi... PK

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

And the reason ZAR has played less than a season is because he can't stay healthy

There is no reason to breakdown ZAR like this. He’s a solid bottom sixer with some offensive upside.

Probably won’t pan out, but I think it speaks more to our lack of LW depth than ZAR.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I disagree about the player. I don’t think his upside is huge or even much more than we’ve seen, but we’ll see.,.
I think we saw, briefly, ZAR's upside and it was quite good - IF he can maintain that level. Unfortunately he got injured and never regained his form.

I'd like to see ZAR get 2 years here. There's a chance he could be that "complementary" piece in the Top 6 that works either for a season or two or maybe just small stretches. He's worth keeping around.

Reactions: TheDuderino

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It does speak to people doubting his abilities though. People act like ZAR is Glass around here which simply isn’t true.

He scored at nearly the same rate as Sprong in Anaheim.

There's every reason to doubt his abilities.

11 of ZAR's 17 points came with one of Kessel, Malkin, or Crosby. Sprong's 3 years younger, a much greater portion of his points were goals, he didn't play with any offensive talent comparable to our top 3 forwards in Anaheim, and only 4 of his 19 points came with Getzlaf.

They aren't comparable.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Btw, I brought up the Hobey based upon your comparison to Bennet who absolutely sucked at Denver and displayed little to no skill whatsoever at the NCAA level.

Bennett didn't suck in college at all. You're digging a deeper hole.

He lead the nation in scoring his Senior year.

There is skill and it has been displayed at times at the NHL level. He needs to show consistency.

But you can feel free to take whatever comments of mine out of context if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy...

ZAR is not a skilled player at the NHL level, and again, college scoring does not refute this. There have been plenty of older college players who've scored a ton and not been skilled enough to make an impact at the NHL level. None of that takes what you said out of context.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
There's every reason to doubt his abilities.

11 of ZAR's 17 points came with one of Kessel, Malkin, or Crosby. Sprong's 3 years younger, a much greater portion of his points were goals, he didn't play with any offensive talent comparable to our top 3 forwards in Anaheim, and only 4 of his 19 points came with Getzlaf.

They aren't comparable.

ZAR is producing at around a 34 pt race in his career. Even if he is playing with whoever, he’s still producing at a pretty solid rate given ice time and usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->