ZAR

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No, but I think “injury prone” falls somewhere between overused to a complete myth.

And either way what should we do, trade him? The rest of the league is aware of injury histories too.

Reactions: Trade

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Between Tanger, Murray, Maatta, Geno, Horny and Rust, I've just not got the capacity to worry about ZAR's injuries.

Kid's a true Pen though. Bet he catches leprosy this summer.

2f5fa1eaa5b2e0eb2e504065767fa828.jpg

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
He never played an overly physical game in college, so with the Pens wanting him to evolve his game, his body probably isn't used to giving/receiving this much abuse. We'll see how he responds next year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He is pretty much a bottom six forward so I don’t really care. Kuhn 2.0

Yes.

At the same time, that the organization and apparently Sully see him as a top 6 forward is far more concerning than the injury history.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
He is pretty much a bottom six forward so I don’t really care. Kuhn 2.0

Before and injury last year he was playing on Crosby’s line for a while, got hurt then stayed on the 4th after coming back. Was playing on Malkins line and now hurt again.

He’s been more than a bottom six forward on this team but can’t stay in the linenup long enough to take advantage of it. Your comment cements my argument. You see him as a bottom 6 yet he has had opportunities playing top 6, is he a bottom 6? Or is he a potential top 6 who can’t stay healthy?

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
No, but I think “injury prone” falls somewhere between overused to a complete myth.

And either way what should we do, trade him? The rest of the league is aware of injury histories too.

Who said anything about trading him? He was brought in with the tag of future Horny replacement. Now that he can’t stay healthy maybe you want to look at someone in the draft who has similar skill set where otherwise you wouldn’t have to if he could stay healthy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Before and injury last year he was playing on Crosby’s line for a while, got hurt then stayed on the 4th after coming back. Was playing on Malkins line and now hurt again.

He’s been more than a bottom six forward on this team but can’t stay in the linenup long enough to take advantage of it. Your comment cements my argument. You see him as a bottom 6 yet he has had opportunities playing top 6, is he a bottom 6? Or is he a potential top 6 who can’t stay healthy?

He’s a bottom six forward that our staff and management want to be in a top six role. Injury ain’t got anything to do with it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He doesn’t do anything particularly well enough to be a full time top 6 forward...

Reactions: Trade

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It’s noticeable to me. Straight line speed is now even above average.

He doesn't seem to have enough closing speed to get to many loose pucks or pressure people on the forecheck.

I dunno. If we want a complementary guy for Malkin and Kessel, I think he needs to be faster than ZAR.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He doesn't seem to have enough closing speed to get to many loose pucks or pressure people on the forecheck.

I dunno. If we want a complementary guy for Malkin and Kessel, I think he needs to be faster than ZAR.
I agree. For me ZAR is in the bottom 6, maybe even 4th with a full lineup.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Here's the deal...

ZAR is a professional hockey player. He has talent or wouldn't be in the game.

But he's average to below average. It is what it is, but there's hundreds if not thousands who can play their game he plays.

JR should feel free to let him go and try another player..but the org likes him more than they should.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is beginning to get a little silly.

There's not thousands of players who can do what ZAR does. And when it comes to doing what ZAR does while being on ZAR's money and actually being acquirable in a fair fashion, its probably not even a hundred. Most teams don't let cheap defensively responsible players with 30 ES point paces go just because.

And if you want to know what we have in WBS, the league standings and boxcars should give people a good idea that the answer is probably "Very little". We have mined that place out for the time being.

ZAR probably is overrated by management. But being a guy that they should just let go - not even qualify and trade - that's an even bigger underrating. He's perfectly acceptable cheap depth. Chuck those guys away and you end up with guys like Rowney/Garrett Wilson/Porter taking up roster spaces for a lot of the season.

I don't count what happened to him in the playoffs, so I'm not sure I'd call it an injury history yet.

Taking away the Wilson hit still leaves him with three injuries in not even a full regular season yet though.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Well no. But mostly because he’s just not that important to the team.

I disagree, any player under 25 who can fill a role/contribute is incredibly important to this team moving forward. With forwards like Rust and Guentzel coming off their ELC we need players like ZAR if we are going g to remain successful. Look at ‘16 and ‘17.

Especially with Rust, Guentzel, Horny getting extended/paid, then factor in Johnson, Bjugstad and Gudbrasson.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
zar is up and down. when he's up he makes the malkin line go. when he's down he's not doing much but is fine on the 4th line. chill, tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad