Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
screenqi.png

What were they going for with that?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This is not good for the devils but for another reason than what is being posted.

I am NOT a fan of their development, and considering the team is depending on draft picks to lead the franchise, this is concerning. This injury just means more players will be forced into roles too early. They have been doing their best 2010 Oilers impression.

A lot of rebuilding teams depend on their draft picks to lead their franchise so that point leads me confused. Also, they're not entirely? Hall, Johansson, Schenider, and Palmieri are all rather vital pieces that weren't draft picks by the Devils.

- Hischier is one of the weakest 1st OA picks in a while. He himself has said he needs to improve his size and his shot. He had an inconsistent year last year in Halifax. It makes no sense to rush him to the NHL and expect him to play in the top 6. He should be returning for another year to work on these areas while the NHL roster is a train wreck.

Again, I don't follow (this will be a theme) that just you're using Hischier's words saying he needs to improve as a sticking point to why he's such a weak 1st overall. Every player will tell you they can still improve, it's who they are as professional athletes. If he's in the NHL he can still work on his shot, crazy concept I know. And they aren't going to rush him if he shows he's not ready. With that said Shero has mentioned there being a spot for him on the roster, though he still needs to prove it's rightfully his.

- They did the same thing with Zacha and are ruining his potential too. The first few years of development are the most important. Just because they have the SKILL to play in the NHL does not mean they should be there. That team was bad and will be bad again, even worse. This is going to KILL the confidence of these guys during vital development years.

Damn, disagree again. Zacha was ready for the NHL and it was the right move to keep him there the whole season. Just because a player struggles in their first NHL season doesn't mean they weren't ready. And ruining his development? As far as I'm concerned development is about continually progressing and becoming a better player. Zacha continually improved as the season went on (check his game logs if you want to be that stat watcher guy) and it showed not only on the scoresheet but on the ice. Zacha is fine and I'd go so far as to say Zajac's injury may be a good thing for Zacha as he now has a real chance to run with a top 6 opportunity.

- I get the sense that Management is rushing these prospects because they want to have a playoff competitive roster, as the GM is now fearing he moved their best D for a winger who will leave as a UFA without the team ever leaving the basement. There is desperation here, and I am willing to bet by this time next offseason, there will have been a desperation move made.

Who have they rushed? Zacha? Don't think so. Hischier? The season hasn't started yet and it wouldn't be rushing him if he made the team. Santini? He split time in the NHL and AHL last season. Speers? 3 games in the NHL hardly constitutes rushing. McLeod? Again, season hasn't started yet. Quenneville? Played most of the year in the AHL and got called up towards the end because he deserved it with his play. That's about it I think. Hall will definitely leave at the end of his contract too, eh? Even though that runs through the 2019-2020 season and we have yet to begin the 2017-2018 season. And even though things can change very quickly in this league. He's clearly had enough, yes that makes so much sense. Trading Larsson for Hall was not a desperation move at all. Neither is "rushing" our prospects, which there is no rushing by the way.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
How did he got injured?

It's a good question. Wrecking his pectoral muscle so badly isn't all that easy to do. You'd think a professional athelete would be warming up and cooling down properly whilst following an off season program. Does anyone know the detail of the injury? Is it the pec equivalent of the Triple-H thigh injury where the muscle detached from the bone? I'm asking as it can't be a straightforward tear and I like the gruesome detail.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This is not good for the devils but for another reason than what is being posted.

I am NOT a fan of their development, and considering the team is depending on draft picks to lead the franchise, this is concerning. This injury just means more players will be forced into roles too early. They have been doing their best 2010 Oilers impression.

- Hischier is one of the weakest 1st OA picks in a while. He himself has said he needs to improve his size and his shot. He had an inconsistent year last year in Halifax. It makes no sense to rush him to the NHL and expect him to play in the top 6. He should be returning for another year to work on these areas while the NHL roster is a train wreck.

- They did the same thing with Zacha and are ruining his potential too. The first few years of development are the most important. Just because they have the SKILL to play in the NHL does not mean they should be there. That team was bad and will be bad again, even worse. This is going to KILL the confidence of these guys during vital development years.

- I get the sense that Management is rushing these prospects because they want to have a playoff competitive roster, as the GM is now fearing he moved their best D for a winger who will leave as a UFA without the team ever leaving the basement. There is desperation here, and I am willing to bet by this time next offseason, there will have been a desperation move made.

Hischer has not been given a roster spot - he still has to earn it. Zacha was sent back to the OHL after his draft year. I don't think there was a need for him to spend a 3rd season there last year and the AHL wasn't an option.

Yet, you're painting it as if there's this trend of the Devils rushing prospects, which is not the case. Furthermore, each prospect is different and there's clear "right way" to develop a prospect - some guys may benefit from more seasoning in the minors, while others (despite their 1st year stats) may be better served playing in the NHL earlier. Shero has been consistent in his approach to taking a long-term approach with building the team and has not waivered from that stance. The Johannson trade was just a good hockey trade for NJ and if they were desperate to be competitive, they would have signed more free agents than just Boyle. Your "analysis" seems extremely off base.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Who have they rushed? Zacha? Don't think so. Hischier? The season hasn't started yet and it wouldn't be rushing him if he made the team. Santini? He split time in the NHL and AHL last season. Speers? 3 games in the NHL hardly constitutes rushing. McLeod? Again, season hasn't started yet. Quenneville? Played most of the year in the AHL and got called up towards the end because he deserved it with his play. That's about it I think. Hall will definitely leave at the end of his contract too, eh? Even though that runs through the 2019-2020 season and we have yet to begin the 2017-2018 season. And even though things can change very quickly in this league. He's clearly had enough, yes that makes so much sense. Trading Larsson for Hall was not a desperation move at all. Neither is "rushing" our prospects, which there is no rushing by the way.

Look at how the Bruins rushed Joe Thornton - only 7 points in 55 games his rookie year, which totally derailed an otherwise promising career. :sarcasm:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Jeez I feel bad for Taylor Hall. Not that they were making playoffs with Zajac anyway. Zacha is going to need to step up massively. Their blueline is still a mess too.

I to feel bad for Taylor Hall. He knows deep down this team is years away from being a cup contender. His only hope is Ray trades him to a team with a chance to contend. At least if you live in the area and want to see a hockey game the prudential center is the place to go cause the devils are near dead last in the NHL for attendance every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad