Salary Cap: Zaitsev's next contract

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
With him being a RFA this summer what do you expect the Leafs to do in regards to a next contract.

I expect him to get a contract like Gardiner got with 5 year 4 mill AAV.

Although they may go a 2-3 year prove it deal at about 2.5-3 mill

encore

May 14, 2013
Canada
I think Zaitsev is going to settle in to being a very solid, reliable second pairing defenseman. He's young and is still on the upswing.

I'd be comfortable paying him as high as 6 x 30, but I think we can get him at an AAV at 4-4.5

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
5-6 years, 4-5mil AAV and we should all be pumped if that happens - the organization if finding free wallet talent that's worth resigning and we can check another item off of our shopping list for the duration of that contract

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I'm not totally sure how the UFA status for Zaitsev works since he is coming into the league so old. I think he becomes a UFA after 3 professional seasons, so you either sign him to a 1 year deal to see what you really have, or you go long term to buy UFA years. I would be trying for a 1 year "show me what you got" contract, and I have no idea what kind of money it would take for him to sign it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think he's shown enough at he KHL and this year that he likely won't turn into a bust anytime soon. But I think he can and should be signed for less than 5.5 per, ideally too for under 5 per.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Sign him up long-term for a discount. Get those prime years locked up.

He's fit in seamlessly and is only getting better.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
With him being a RFA this summer what do you expect the Leafs to do in regards to a next contract.

I expect him to get a contract like Gardiner got with 5 year 4 mill AAV.

Although they may go a 2-3 year prove it deal at about 2.5-3 mill

Since Zaitsev is 25 years old, I believe he will be UFA in the summer of 2020. So having a contract that brings right into his UFA makes absolutely no sense (if you think he is any good).

Gardiner got his team which was fair, but it brings him right into UFA status. And Zaitsev is much better than Gardiner was the time of signing. Leafs will likely want to buy into Zaitsev's UFA years, and Zaitsev would like long term security and avoid RFA status.

4.6m X 6 is closer to the mark.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm in the 3 year deal around 4 million, he doesn't look like a high up side offensive guy so he wont ever be overly expensive next contract, so 3 year 12 million sound about right and then you can re-sign him to a 5-6 year deal after in the 5-5.5 million range if he's continued his current play. one year to me isn't enough to warrant a long term 5+ year deal. since he probably wont sign that long for 4 million or less a year.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
If he likes it here & wants to stay I could see
4m x 5yrs
or
4.75m x 6yrs

If he's about maximizing $ it'll be short term.
Can't see the leafs paying him more than Riellys aav.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
usually bridge deals are a lower AAV because you're not buying UFA years. Don't think you want to set a $7.5mil precedent for guys like Zaitsev, that's #1dman money

He's obviously saying $3.75M per year for two seasons.

I'm seeing a lot of $4.5M-$5M AAVs in this thread over a long term... but that seems a bit high considering his offensive output to date. I'm thinking $4M per x 4 years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'm seeing a lot of $4.5M-$5M AAVs in this thread over a long term... but that seems a bit high considering his offensive output to date. I'm thinking $4M per x 4 years.

He definitely hasn't quite earned 4.5+ But considering his young age and the fact that you have to overpay to get vet free agent defensemen id be fine liking him up in a 5ish year deal even at 4.5+.

That said I suspect Lou will be able to get him for closer to 4 when it comes the time

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I don't see that in "$7.5 x 2" - far from obvious, it's the opposite of what he said. It may be what he meant, but let's let him clarify that if so

I think the market has risen on guys of his offensive level, Gardiner is a good comparison and if he was re-signing today I think a $4.5ish deal would be in range. If we want to go a little longer, 5-6 years like the rest of the RFA core guys we've seen (Rielly, Kadri) I think $4.5-5mil is where it lands.

Either way, I'm fine with anything in the 4-6 year and $4-$5mil range

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I don't see that in "$7.5 x 2" - far from obvious, it's the opposite of what he said. It may be what he meant, but let's let him clarify that if so

I think the market has risen on guys of his offensive level, Gardiner is a good comparison and if he was re-signing today I think a $4.5ish deal would be in range. If we want to go a little longer, 5-6 years like the rest of the RFA core guys we've seen (Rielly, Kadri) I think $4.5-5mil is where it lands.

Either way, I'm fine with anything in the 4-6 year and $4-$5mil range

Logic has to take over at a certain point. Sure we have some crazies around here but no one in their right mind would think he deserves Letang money after 34 games.

I think his RFA status pushes his AAV closer to the $4M mark. He's on pace to put up Ryan Ellis/Mattias Ekholm/Alec Martinez numbers at this point, and he's being used on the PP less than at the beginning of the year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Logic has to take over at a certain point. Sure we have some crazies around here but no one in their right mind would think he deserves Letang money after 34 games.

I think his RFA status pushes his AAV closer to the $4M mark. He's on pace to put up Ryan Ellis/Mattias Ekholm/Alec Martinez numbers at this point, and he's being used on the PP less than at the beginning of the year.

Well I took the guy at face value for what he posted, I'm not accosting him for it but it wasn't obvious to me that he meant something different than what he said

The rest of the season will also impact the number that Zaitsev gets, he's had some good and some bad games recently, but I think it's in the $4-$5mil range somewhere, I hope he earns towards the top of it or higher

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Get him signed long term, 4.5-4.75 x 6, he not a kid and he has already been tasked with tough assignments night in night out.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
usually bridge deals are a lower AAV because you're not buying UFA years. Don't think you want to set a $7.5mil precedent for guys like Zaitsev, that's #1dman money

2 years 7.5 = 3.75 per year, sorry for any confusion i thought It was clearer than it was, my apologies.

Bridge deal

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's January 1st, Zaitsev can officially re-sign whenever they feel like getting it done. Hope to wake up tomorrow to a 6x4.5 million contract.

It's probably not overly likely, but the discussion could have already been had and they've been waiting for today so it could be made official. Here's to hoping

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad