Zaitsev

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
My god people are so clueless in this thread.

Zaitsev career avg TOI: 22:06 ( LEADS THE LEAFS)
Zaitsev career PK TOI: 317:44 (3rd most over the past two years and 2nd most both last year and this year)
Zaitsev career TOI% QOC: 32.45 (highest on Leafs over past two seasons, #2 behind Hainsey this season)
Zaitsev Dzone starts: 43.8% (#3 behind Hainsey 32.5% and Polak 33.7%)

Last season, Zaitsev in my mind was easily our most reliable defender. This was the only guy on the team who spent time killing penalties as well as running the PP, AS A ROOKIE. He is a right shot in a league that doesn't have many quality Righty D-men. He is very mobile and can play a punishing game. Z's role on this team has been to eat up a ton of minutes and some of the most toughest minutes. He is one of our most reliable and trusted guys when it comes to Dzone faceoffs. His job on most nights isn't to go out run and gun but instead it is to provide stability to his d-partner Jake Gardiner. And as we all know, Jake isn't exactly the easiest guy to play with because he is highly error prone and can make a ton of boneheaded plays.

Now, this year Zaitsev got off to a pretty good start. He was playing fairly well before he broke his ankle and it took him a while to get used to the speed of the game when he came back. That said, he wasn't absolutely terrible when he came back. What really did him in this year IMO was when he got that weird flu. He lost 10-15 lbs because of the illness and it has taken him a very long time to recover from that. People have to understand when you lose that kind of weight, it's very tough for a guy like Z to recover and readjust to his new weight because so much of his game involves pushing guys around and playing physical. Has he been as good this year as he was last year? Not even remotely. But he's had to deal with a ton of adversity while trying to play a bigger role on the team.

For all the shit he gets, people are forgetting that our biggest X-factor in the playoffs this year will be the play of Nikita Zaitsev. If he plays steady and physical like we know he can, that helps slot everyone else into their proper D-position. If Z can't hold his own right now, we're as good as done. And THAT is the reason why he got a 7 year deal. He is the glue guy on the back end. Z is the guy who settles down the D-core and allows Rielly and Gardiner and Dermott take on much easier minutes than they would otherwise have to take up. Hainsey is the same way. In Hainsey's case, we have burned out the poor guy and he hasn't looked the same since his injury but we need him to be steady atleast.

As far as the future goes, Z will be an anchor on the top pairing for the buds. For better or worse, he's Babs man. Babcock loves his style of play and he loves his dependability. Zaitsev has had a very rough year and his confidence is basically shot at this point, it's up to the coaching staff to build him back up but it's extremely difficult to build up your confidence when you're struggling and are being tossed out to the wolves and asked to do so much for the team. He is currently to the team what Morgan Rielly has been for us for the past 4 years. We're sacrificing Z for the betterment of the team and if we can ever land a guy like Doughty or another top pairing RHD, people will fall in love with Zaitsev's game because he won't be forced to carry such a massive load.

Ideal future scenario.

Rielly - Big minute munching RHD
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Lilly

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If you're Leaf, you gotta hope Zaitsev is better in the next years(s) then he was the past season. I still think he can be good NHLer providing good value for his contract.

One thing the Leafs should do, is "force" Zaitsev to stay in Toronto instead of going to Russia all summer. Apparently he goes on this kinda unorthodox training. Maybe it just isn't hockey effective.

I'm suggesting he takes a break for a vacation and then back to Toronto July 1st and get NHL ready.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I think Zaitsev gets a raw deal. I don't think he is as bad as he's made out to be this year. He's another player weighed down by unrealistic contract expectations. People need to realize that 4.5 million doesn't buy much in the NHL anymore. Also if the Leafs first pairing was capable of playing first pairing minutes he wouldn't be asked to do more than he's capable of. Zaitsev isn't a problem. Rielly having no equal to play with is the problem. The Leafs D will always be a weak spot until that's fixed.

Rielly RHD - 24-26
Gards Zaits - 18-20
Dermott Hainsey 12-14

Reactions: nobody

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You think Lou gave him 7 years because he likes shiny new things?

No I think he listened to Babcock and did something stupid

I'm waiting for someone to give me a reason why he's worth a 4.5M 7 year contract? And what he's got going for him besides he can skate

I know most people's default setting is management is correct but as of now and a couple of weeks at the start of the season Zaitsev has done nothing to show he's even close to worth that contract

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If we was slotted correctly he could be a good complementary piece, but his contract suggests he is a core player. I can live with the AAV, but the term is and will always be ridiculous. This should've been a bridge deal.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Zaitsev remains an analytical beast but Gards has joined him at the top now.

Not only the top 5v5 pairing for the Leafs but probably one of the top 5 pairings in the playoffs.....but a bad pinch and poorly managed 2 on 1 means they suck, or so I heard.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Maybe the stats make him look great, but the eye test is just ugly. Being great for 50 mins then giving up key goals negates a lot of the goodwill from the rest of the game.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
A lot of dman have rough 2nd Years. I’m certain he will bounce back especially playing below doughty :naughty:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Maybe the stats make him look great, but the eye test is just ugly. Being great for 50 mins then giving up key goals negates a lot of the goodwill from the rest of the game.

Oh, I agree but he plays a pretty thankless game now anyways. Has been really good defensively overall and really cleaned up his transition game the last couple of months. That blown 2 on 1 was the first 5v5 goal that you can pin on him all series really and considering the minutes and QoC he logs, its pretty impressive.

Only one defender has been a real disappointment this series but hes pretty teflon and you wont see any threads about him popping up.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Considering he couldn't get in to a rhythm at all this year, he's doing better than I expected.

Concussion -> newborn -> leg injury -> month-long flu, all in your sophomore year is a rough deal. Really hoping that's the cause of all the noticeable one-off brainfarts he has and not getting infected with Gardineritis from prolonged contact.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Wow Zaitsev has very differing opinions.
Is Zaitsev an analytical beast?????
I mean James Mirtle says he analyticly he is a bottom pairing D-man, but is paid like a 2nd pairing.
Pretty much says there was a battle within the organization when the contract was offered.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...e-a-problem-for-maple-leafs-in-2019-1.1013502

Based on the date, Mirtle is bang on.
He was a train wreck all year and then on Feb.20, I think he hit his head in the shower before the game and formulated the defensive version of the flux capacitor.

He's progressively turned his stats around since then and has gone beast mode in the playoffs. (although he is still bad on the PK but the whole team is really)
Playoff stats:
Corsi - 58%
SCF - 64%
HDCF - 71%

Analytically, his rough comparables in the playoffs so far are names you dont see associated with Zaitsev that often, thats for sure. ;)

Provorov
Carlson
Trouba
Hedman
Manson
Subban
Barrie
Byfuglien
Orlov

Reactions: htpwn

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The most frustrating part of Zaitsev for me isn't his defending whatsoever, it's his transition game/ puck movement. He needs to realize that:
A) he usually has more time than he thinks.
B) he is a good enough skater to create space.
He's gotta stop senselessly throwing the puck off the glass and out to nobody. Also, he and Gardiner aren't a good fit together.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The minute I heard that contract I came on here and wondered why? Not that he didn't have a good season, but it was a real head scratcher to give him that term, when there was no urgency to do so. Now it looks the mistake I worried about. Will never get that signing.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If we was slotted correctly he could be a good complementary piece, but his contract suggests he is a core player. I can live with the AAV, but the term is and will always be ridiculous. This should've been a bridge deal.

Trouble is because of his age he was just two years away from being a UFA. So if you really think he was an NHLer, he gets a long term deal. A bridge deal was out of the question.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Trouble is because of his age he was just two years away from being a UFA. So if you really think he was an NHLer, he gets a long term deal. A bridge deal was out of the question.
Not the case imo, guys of his calibre just shouldn't get that term. Give him the bridge and hope he continues to improve and then lock him up, if he walks so be it. It's management's job to draft and develop replacements for complimentary players.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Still pretty nervous about that contract... but I think Zaitsev will have a much better season this year.

I don't think he should be used as a shutdown guy or a main PK guy. I would probably give him some PP time instead.

I think he needs to put on some weight / size. If he can come into camp at least 10 lbs heavier, that would be really helpful. He looked tiny near the end of last season.

I could see him putting up a lot of points if things go well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad