Zaitsev

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sadly, the only way Zaits gets moved is if we get a top pairing D AND a mid-pairing D to replace him. Leafs were probably facing the grim reality that finding competent D (let alone 1st pairing) is a massive undertaking.

I don't know, some organizations seem to churn out competent defensemen year after year out of nothing. The Bruins, Kings, Blues seem to create them out of thin air.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Zaitsev's play with the puck reminds me of when you're playing NHL 18 on with bad sliders. The moment he gets the puck it's like all five of the opposition are coming at him at 1.5x speed.

It could be in his head.
Ask anyone thats had a knee injury before and they have this self doubt when it comes to certain plays.
I bet with concussions, when you return your so concerned about protecting yourself that you just get rid of the puck like its a hot potatoe.
He has the skillset to be an effective D but sometimes his brain turns off and others he is very reckless with the puck.
Toronto has always been a good place for D to get roasted. Hopefully he gets his game back because that contract is going to look super ugly if he cant.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Again, was really solid the last quarter of the season, was our best dman in game 1 and had a bad 1st period in game 2 and some of you want him off the team?

Energy could be better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: great and AlexKuz

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
It's so funny to read all the hate.) In game 2 the whole Leafs' defence looked like garbage, obviously they've been destroyed not only because of Zaitsev's weak game.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm willing to give Zaitsev a second chance this offseason... We'll call this the sophmore jinx... but he really needs to step up next season.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
No idea what happened to this guy. Last season he was a decent top 4 offensive D. This year he's basically completely lost out there.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Got his contract and seemingly lost all ability to shoot, make a breakout pass and just have any sort of hockey IQ. He’s been atrocious all year. Far cry from the Zaitsev from last year

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He did look good last year and very early this year before injuries. I know it's not popular to say give him a chance because my goodness, he was horrible last night. But let's see.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Been worried about Zaitsev for a while:

(Said this Oct. 7th, 2017)

I don't like the Martin or Hyman contract.

I really like the Kadri, Rielly, Brown, and Andersen contracts.

Gardiner and JVR's contracts were awesome, but are expiring too soon.

Marleau and Hainsey were great contracts because we had the cap space the for this year and next and we needed to spend it somehow. Good pickups. Seems like the Marleau contract is structured where we can easily trade Marleau if we need to, but we also have the option of keeping him for his 3rd year since he looks pretty good after game 1.

I kind of wish we got Zaitsev for a bit cheaper. This is the only contract I'm a bit nervous about. It's possible that guys like Dermott, Liljegren, Borgman, etc. end up passing him in the depth chart (with Gardiner and Rielly already ahead of him). Could end up being expensive for our 5th or 6th best defender. But at the moment, still looking like a pretty good contract. Though there is some risk here.

But this is a huge improvement compared to a few years ago. If Martin and Hyman are the only bad contracts, then we're in pretty good shape. I don't think any of our contracts are really negative value. Martin and Hyman may have slightly negative value, but they're close enough to fair value.

One problem I think with Zaitsev is that he's an offensive defender, and Babcock is trying to use him in a defensive role. Babcock did the same thing with Rielly last year.

I think having a child and getting sick and losing some weight didn't do him any good. He didn't have a good season this year... but I think there is the potential for him to be better next year. But realistically, I see him more as a bottom pairing right defender, maybe paired with someone like Borgman.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
He did look good last year and very early this year before injuries. I know it's not popular to say give him a chance because my goodness, he was horrible last night. But let's see.
Also it's strange for me to see him mostly as a PK'er rather than a PP guy. Maybe this role change affected him as well.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

well we don't have much choice there, he's got a 7 year deal

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
If Carrick is then Egocock will 100% sit Dermott instead of Polak or Hainsey. Veteran fetish too strong with Egocock.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Is it time to bench him and play Carrick? He hasn't been great this season.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Polak-Carrick

I think Dermott deserves a promotion.

I'd probably put Martin in also since Komarov might miss next game. Wouldn't mind Moore in for Plekanic either.
Zaitsev never came back the same after that head injury at the end of last season. Then factor in this season's foot injury, he just looks slow and a lot more timid to get into the dirty areas. Hopefully he can get all rested and healed up this off season.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Zaitsev is TERRIBLE in the playoffs and it's because he tries to do more than he's capable of. Over committing on Marchand cost us a goal, trying to lay big hits on much bigger players than him is constantly putting him out of position. He's an emotional player, which is good, but he let's his emotions dictate his play.

1st goal Zaitsev is running behind the net chasing Marchand leaving the goal scorer wide open in front.
2nd goal Zaitsev with a PATHETIC coverage in front of our net costing us another goal.
3rd goal goes without saying... unlucky yes, but an innocent shot out front of the net deflects wildly off of Zaitsev's stick into the net... even Andersen tried to deflect it because he saw it coming.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Really tough year for Zaitsev. Hopefully it is the Sophomore slump, combined with injuries.

Not ready to write him off, but I’m really hoping Holl and Liljegren are ready to seriously compete next year.

Our rhd is not where we need it to be at this moment.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I'm a Zaitsev fan but this was such a brutal game for him. I have no idea what happened to him. It just seemed like his hockey IQ plummeted.

I am not sure if anyone read the Athletic article on Z last year. He talked about how he OBSESSES over mistakes he makes and has a hard time letting go. That to me is not an NHL top 4 D...he looks like he is literally lost out there on what to do. He is the ONE guy you will always see in highlights that is standing around the goalscorer and doing nothing as it goes in. Not even attempting to hit/push/engage the scorer at ALL. The guy is just not mentally tough enough for this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->