Value of: Zadorov to Detroit

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Can't trade Zadorov until the offseason, otherwise Barberio comes into the lineup and the Avs would be particularly weak on defense trying to head into the playoffs.

Honestly, AA does not offer much to the Avs lineup, which has plenty of speed and they are already fantastic offensively.

If AA was gritty, physical, and a strong defensive player, it would be a much better fit.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Can't trade Zadorov until the offseason, otherwise Barberio comes into the lineup and the Avs would be particularly weak on defense trying to head into the playoffs.

Honestly, AA does not offer much to the Avs lineup, which has plenty of speed and they are already fantastic offensively.

If AA was gritty, physical, and a strong defensive player, it would be a much better fit.

Thank you for the response.

Would Nemeth be of interest for Colorado?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No, the Avs let Nemeth go for a reason.

A deal could be made for Z after the season. Do the Wings have a similarly aged bottom-six winger who is adept on the PK?

Yeah, Ehn. But I doubt he moves the needle.

What about Veleno?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
No, the Avs let Nemeth go for a reason.

A deal could be made for Z after the season. Do the Wings have a similarly aged bottom-six winger who is adept on the PK?
Glendening, but he's 29. Great on FO's/PK/grit/physical/leader/decent speed & mobility/pretty smart/agitating pest/LGD is all heart & would be a playoff warrior on any team. He's the back bone of our bottom 6 & has played in top 6 C/W when needed. Think Kadri-lite in terms of impact, but without the bad penalties. $1.8m through '21, 50% retention=$900k.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Zadorov fills a unique role on Colorado, there isn't somebody else who can fill his spot if he goes. So if you want him, you gotta offer up something that makes the Avs better. And the Avs don't really have any glaring holes that you have the pieces to fill. We could use a 3C, but not at the expense of having(Girard? Graves? Johnson?) take over Zadorov's role.

Besides, Detroit has way bigger needs and bigger holes to fill than to create a new hole by trading for Zadorov. Set your sights on someone cheaper in a situation where they're more expendable. Hagg, Russell, etc.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Looking at it from Colorado's point of view:
-It would be off season only as he is too important for a playoff run this year and there is no real reason outside of an over payment to move him before the TDL as they are in win now mode.
-The reason the Avs might move him is because Byram will be in the NHL next year and they are stacked at D, that and Makar will be getting a large raise so long term they likely can't afford to keep everyone.
-Zads has had a really solid year and there will likely be a good deal of teams that are interested.
-Avs will likely be looking for top 6 wingers that are improvements to their current roster. In the off season some picks or prospects could be a part of the deal but likely wouldn't be as important.
-Avs also have no need for centers, so players like Veleno wouldn't be of interest.

So with all of that stated looking at Det all of the players that would fit Col's needs would be:
-Mantha and possibly Zadina depending on how Col views him. Last year I would have said AA would be a good option but after the year he has had I don't think he is what the Avs are looking for any longer.

Part of the issue is Det doesn't have many trade chips, so there aren't many possible avenues that would make sense. Could always try to offer sheet him I guess if he is eligible. I don't see much here though that I would consider too likely.

Reactions: Linds

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think AA is all Detroit can afford to offer. Detroit needs Zads but honestly I don't see it happening.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
AA does nothing for us. He’s another third line fringe second line player we have a ton of. As it’s been said it’ll be an off-season trade, but I don’t think that works for the Avs

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Isn't Colorado needs to improve their defense , by doing this trade they became horrible on defense.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not a trade right now. I think in the offseason he could be in play. Not sure Avs. Doubt the Avs waste a protected spot for him with the expansion.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Will be hard to find any consensus among avs fans. Half think zadorov is a big dummy and easily replacable, the other half wouldnt move him without a severe overpayment if at all. Im of the belief we shouldnt move him. His physicality is something we really lack and need come playoff time

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I got a sense that Zadorov will be too expensive for Colorado and that they have better LHD. Value is less than a 1st but a little more than a 2nd

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
In the offseason, maybe. Even then, I'd think the Avs would be looking for a hockey trade. Zadorov adds a unique element to their D group; if they're trading him, they'd need a tangible improvement elsewhere on the roster.

You won't get him for picks in-season.
Yeah I was more so thinking at the draft. Trading picks for Zadorov would make the Habs a better team and hurt their draft position.

The Avs have Byram and Girard penciled in as the top 4 LD's of the future. Zadorov is going to ask for ~ 4M. They already have Graves. It's a tough decision but a good problem to have.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I was more so thinking at the draft. Trading picks for Zadorov would make the Habs a better team and hurt their draft position.

The Avs have Byram and Girard penciled in as the top 4 LD's of the future. Zadorov is going to ask for ~ 4M. They already have Graves. It's a tough decision but a good problem to have.

Montreal has a nice surplus of picks, and the Avs don't have a 2nd rounder this year. There could be a fit there.

I still maintain that Colorado will prioritize a hockey trade. If they can find a trade partner in that context, they'll do it. If that doesn't come to fruition, though, a futures package would be the new target, and MTL would be in a good position to put one together.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I do not think the Avs would trade him as he has a unique skillset amongst their young defensemen.

With that said if the Avs do trade him Detroit should be all over this. He would he a perfect partner for Hronek or Seider.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->