Confirmed with Link: Zadorov signs 3yr ELC

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Zadorov signs ELC

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/382970222166024192

Great news. 3 Year deal. Think he will be a very good top 4 physical D man that can skate and use his size.

BVCVY0rCQAAWy9W.jpg

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm thinking we need another Zadorov thread. :sarcasm:

Well....is he gonna get the 9 game tryout?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wanted Zads over Risto at 8 .... Glad we got both...

So much potential with this kid.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So... why sign him if he's expected to be sent back down to Juniors?

I can't believe they'd have 2 18 yr old rookies on the blue line this year..

edit: .. Nevermind...forgot about the contracts being able to slide...

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Great news. 3 Year deal. Think he will be a very good top 4 physical D man that can skate and use his size.

For discussions sake, top-4 is a fairly low expectation for the kid... I'd guess that's his floor. If he was from Edmonton and named Gord MacGroder he'd have been neck-and-neck with Seth Jones IMO. If you didn't know him as a defender and watched his OHL reel, you'd think he was a 1st round power-foward prospect. Perhaps I'm just enamored with our shiny new toy, but I see a future Russian National team and Sabre legend. Cheers Zads!

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I'm assuming he will get some regular season games? If not, the contract will slide and he'll play amazingly in London for the Mem Cup.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Not such a big deal. He'll still be a long shot to play in the NHL this year.

But if he gets his 9 game tryout, that would be ahead of schedule and very welcome.

FanboySlayer*

His upside is significantly higher than Ristolainen's - Zadorov is gonna be Pronger like by 25.

After seeing him against pre-season NHL competition I'd have taken him ahead of Seth Jones.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
His upside is significantly higher than Ristolainen's - Zadorov is gonna be Pronger like by 25.

After seeing him against pre-season NHL competition I'd have taken him ahead of Seth Jones.

And there's the perfect example of what high expectations look like. You'll be the vocal one screaming in a few years how he's a bust because he's not Pronger v2.0.

I have low expectations. I think he'll develop into a decent solid top 4 Dman. Anything more is a bonus.

FanboySlayer*

And there's the perfect example of what high expectations look like. You'll be the vocal one screaming in a few years how he's a bust because he's not Pronger v2.0.

I have low expectations. I think he'll develop into a decent solid top 4 Dman. Anything more is a bonus.

I'm glad you know me so well - you don't. If Zadorov fell short of the lofty expectations I have for him and developed into just a 'decent solid top 4 dman' I would never call him a bust, I will say he's a very good player but with his skills and physical package I thought he was going to be more.

We have a lot of top prospects now, one, Ristolainen, who is going to start as top 6 defenceman in the NHL at 18, which is very rare. He could have the potential to be an all-star Norris trophy consideration type dman one day. But you don't see me predicting that because I don't see it.

Zadorov has everything, raw as it is at 18, to become a dominant defenceman.

Of our top prospects I've written on this forum a couple of times that Grigorenko has the highest probability in my opinion to be a 'bust'. I did not predict him to be a bust, he could develop into the number #1 90-100 point center we've lacked for decades.

The point is I'm not the type to run off and make grandiose projections about draft picks and prospects - Zadorov is the exception.

The Sabres are going into their 43rd season and have never won a Stanley Cup. In that long history we've only had a handful of special players, legends - one of the premier exciting scoring lines of the 1970s, The French Connection, Dominik Hasek and the combination of Lafontaine and Mogilny. We're due for something special and I see the beginning of something special, a defense corps that could dominate the NHL one day - Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk - where we're no longer this mediocre assortment that NBC and HNIC refer to as the 'Buffalo Sabres', we'll be 'Tyler Myers, Niki Zadorov and the Buffalo Sabres'.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm glad you know me so well - you don't. If Zadorov fell short of the lofty expectations I have for him and developed into just a 'decent solid top 4 dman' I would never call him a bust, I will say he's a very good player but with his skills and physical package I thought he was going to be more.

We have a lot of top prospects now, one, Ristolainen, who is going to start as top 6 defenceman in the NHL at 18, which is very rare. He could have the potential to be an all-star Norris trophy consideration type dman one day. But you don't see me predicting that because I don't see it.

Zadorov has everything, raw as it is at 18, to become a dominant defenceman.

Of our top prospects I've written on this forum a couple of times that Grigorenko has the highest probability in my opinion to be a 'bust'. I did not predict him to be a bust, he could develop into the number #1 90-100 point center we've lacked for decades.

The point is I'm not the type to run off and make grandiose projections about draft picks and prospects - Zadorov is the exception.

The Sabres are going into their 43rd season and have never won a Stanley Cup. In that long history we've only had a handful of special players, legends - one of the premier exciting scoring lines of the 1970s, The French Connection, Dominik Hasek and the combination of Lafontaine and Mogilny. We're due for something special and I see the beginning of something special, a defense corps that could dominate the NHL one day - Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk - where we're no longer this mediocre assortment that NBC and HNIC refer to as the 'Buffalo Sabres', we'll be 'Tyler Myers, Niki Zadorov and the Buffalo Sabres'.

Well said. Its a very excited group of players.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just to clarify my understanding (looking to jbuds, Jame, others who understand CBA to reply...

I'm making statements, but asking all this as a question ("games" below means "dressed games").

1. In order for Zadorov to play a 9-game NHL tryout, he must be signed to an ELC.

2. >9 NHL games burns a year of ELC; </=9 and his contract slides.

3. >/=26 NHL games this year decreases his UFA elgibility age by 1 year (or is it his RFA eligibility age, or both?).

4. </=25 NHL games this year retains eligibility for NHL Calder rookie trophy next year.
(Had to throw that last one in for optimism.)

edit: I also agree with FanboySlayer...

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Just to clarify my understanding (looking to jbuds, Jame, others who understand CBA to reply...

I'm making statements, but asking all this as a question ("games" below means "dressed games").

1. In order for Zadorov to play a 9-game NHL tryout, he must be signed to an ELC.

2. >9 NHL games burns a year of ELC; </=9 and his contract slides.

3. >/=26 NHL games this year decreases his UFA elgibility age by 1 year (or is it his RFA eligibility age, or both?).

4. </=25 NHL games this year retains eligibility for NHL Calder rookie trophy next year.
(Had to throw that last one in for optimism.)

edit: I also agree with FanboySlayer...

I don't know if it's still a rule, but it used to be that if a player plays, two seasons of 6 or more games, he would no longer be Calder eligible. So if a player was to get a 9 game tryout, and then another one the next season, he would not be Calder eligible in the next season. Small thing.

FanboySlayer*

I want to see him stay for 9 games but I won't be very disappointed if they send him back to the OHL before the season begins.

If we hadn't drafted Ristolainen and he showed this well in pre-season then Zadorov would have been kept for the 9 games and maybe stuck with the team.

Regier said yesterday about Zadorov's immediate future 'he's showed well, we're still having that conversation'.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I agree with Fanboyslayer.

Zadarov has more than surprised me in camp and rose up my chart. Ristolainen is looking strong as well as expected but to play as 18 year old in the NHL at defense is really rare and if he is good enough to do so, that's a nice get.

I also agree that Grigorenko has the highest bust potential. He could become a star like Thorton (less physical) or easily a Viktor Kozlov. I really hope it is the former.

What we must add to our prospect pool through trading veterans and or through the next draft is elite goal scoring ability (we really only have Armia), and perhaps a top end goaltending prospect (although Ullmark is playing real well in Modo currently)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->