Rumor: Zadorov Asks for Trade

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Haven't seen much talk about this on our forums. I assume that may be by design, but thought I'd see what everyone is thinking here.

If Calgary truly is looking to just unload now (they are just not a good team right now) and if they are forced to trade Zadorov because of his request, then you'd think they are looking at picks/prospects back. Not sure if Zadorov would even take much to get but he does play LD/RD (shoots left though).

If Hanifin is just a dream and there is no way to get that, what would you guys say to get a combo of Zadorov + Lindholm? Calgary gets rid of a player that doesn't want to play there (maybe both) and we could take it as a slight cap dump in a way...

Again just curious what y'all thoughts are but:

DET
Zadorov
Lindholm

CGY
3rd and 6th/Petry? (for zadorov)
+ for Lindholm (we've had couple proposals for that out already)

For the +, I'd probably add maatta in there and if we let go of petry too, then this leaves an opening of edvinsson to step up (zadorov will play the right side?). He is also a UFA after this year and we could probably use his as*holish nature..him and Chiarot pairing would be interesting to see with that tbh.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
With the logjam in defense and some expensive contracts added on defense, as well as up and coming defensemen who I believe the team got to clear some spots for, I don't see any point of getting a Zadorov who's not really standing out for his current team and really never has. At best he has run his mouth a couple of times without having abilities to make those statements much credible. Don't need another problem player added to the team.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
With the logjam in defense and some expensive contracts added on defense, as well as up and coming defensemen who I believe the team got to clear some spots for, I don't see any point of getting a Zadorov who's not really standing out for his current team and really never has. At best he has run his mouth a couple of times without having abilities to make those credible. Don't need another problem added to the team.
I get the logjam, but that's why I said we trade petry and maatta in the package

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why do we need another 3rd pairing defensemen, we already have 5 of them. And Petry also has NMC

Zadorov is a big guy, plays physical, and skates better than 4 of those 5. As long as one of those 4 goes the other way, it makes the team better.

Lindholm is a pipe dream though.

Reactions: kliq

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Zadorov is a big guy, plays physical, and skates better than 4 of those 5. As long as one of those 4 goes the other way, it makes the team better.

Lindholm is a pipe dream though.
buyout petry (won't happen) and include maatta in the master trade with lindholm?

then sign kane...uh oh we just made the shake up this team needs!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
buyout petry (won't happen) and include maatta in the master trade with lindholm?

Can't buy out a player mid-season.

My out of the box thinking on this is to shift Ghost to wing. He's a better shooter than most of the forwards. At 30 years old, it's way late to make that switch, but then again Brendan Smith got a few games in as a winger. Ghost is better than him.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
I can't see giving up assets for him at this point. GM had a choice when both Chiarot and Zadorov were UFA. Rightly or wrongly he went with Chiarot.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Lindholms the catch and he'll cost.

Forget Zadorov we've got bigger fish to go after.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Sending Matta the other way makes sense, but it probably needs a better sweetener. It gets rid of Matta's $3M cap hit next season, and Stevie will have the option of re-signing Zadarov and Ghost or bringing up Ed next season.

I think you'd be looking at Matta + 2nd for Zadorov. I'd be inclined to do it because Draper is just gonna waste that pick anyways, lol.

I can't see giving up assets for him at this point. GM had a choice when both Chiarot and Zadorov were UFA. Rightly or wrongly he went with Chiarot.
Yeah, I wanted ZAdorov over Chiarot, but he re-signed with the Flames. I think they had the inside track on that one.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Sending Matta the other way makes sense, but it probably needs a better sweetener. It gets rid of Matta's $3M cap hit next season, and Stevie will have the option of re-signing Zadarov and Ghost or bringing up Ed next season.

I think you'd be looking at Matta + 2nd for Zadorov. I'd be inclined to do it because Draper is just gonna waste that pick anyways, lol.
Give up a pick for a lateral move? No offense but you don't even get better...

I really mean it when I say I'm not sure Maatta is worse than Zadorov and if he is... how much worst?

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
The Wings could waive Petry and he'd be on the Griffins or given an unconditional in 72 hours. He has been bad, real bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Give up a pick for a lateral move? No offense but you don't even get better...

I really mean it when I say I'm not sure Maatta is worse than Zadorov and if he is... how much worst?

If you think Zadorov and Maatta are comparable players, you haven't watched Zadorov play. He's the type of player that'll go for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick at TDL. He's much faster and waaaay more physical than Maatta, and Maatta seems to be having some sort of lingering issue from his pneumonia. He's not as good as he was first half of last season. The reason why I said 2nd instead of 3rd is because Maatta has one more year at $3M. It's a salary dump.

It makes the team better because the team is soft and slow. Zadorov is an upgrade, even if his stats aren't much better than the current players. If a team starts shit with the top line, I'd rather have Zadorov on the ice than Maatta.

Zadorov is like Ben Chiarot if he was paid properly imo.
I'd take either for $3M (Chiarot is playing better this season), $4.75M is overpayment.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If you think Zadorov and Maatta are comparable players, you haven't watched Zadorov play. He's the type of player that'll go for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick at TDL. He's much faster and waaaay more physical than Maatta, and Maatta seems to be having some sort of lingering issue from his pneumonia. He's not as good as he was first half of last season. The reason why I said 2nd instead of 3rd is because Maatta has one more year at $3M. It's a salary dump.

It makes the team better because the team is soft and slow. Zadorov is an upgrade, even if his stats aren't much better than the current players. If a team starts shit with the top line, I'd rather have Zadorov on the ice than Maatta.

I'd take either for $3M (Chiarot is playing better this season), $4.75M is overpayment.
I was saying that maatta would be going towards lindholm and a 2nd+6th(?) would go towards zadorov. Obviously it would be maatta + for lindholm but it would be part of the base (like maatta + Wallinder + berggren + or something)

I think a 2nd + conditional 6th (turns to 4th if we extend?) would be a pretty good get for calgary considering he wants out and has publicly said so.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was saying that maatta would be going towards lindholm and a 2nd+6th(?) would go towards zadorov. Obviously it would be maatta + for lindholm but it would be part of the base (like maatta + Wallinder + berggren + or something)

I think a 2nd + conditional 6th (turns to 4th if we extend?) would be a pretty good get for calgary considering he wants out and has publicly said so.

I don't think Maatta has any trade value, probably negative trade value right now unless he can return to the same form as early last season. In any case, at least we agree Zadorov would be an upgrade. Lindholm is obviously, but I don't think he gets traded. Getting both would make this team a playoff team, though it really needs an upgrade over Husso.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I don't think Maatta has any trade value, probably negative trade value right now unless he can return to the same form as early last season. In any case, at least we agree Zadorov would be an upgrade. Lindholm is obviously, but I don't think he gets traded. Getting both would make this team a playoff team, though it really needs an upgrade over Husso.
fu*k it, add markstrom. (i actually wouldn't mind this but lezbreal)

Zadorov would be (if I am not mistaken) the guy that we lean on when we need a big hit to energize the team. Muck it up. Be DEFENSE FIRST (we need that right now) that can chip in points here and there. I am not looking for him to bring points, just to stop points against from happening. A pairing of him and chiarot just hitting people non-stop would be very interesting to see (kronwall/stuart? who is going to get the hit type thing?).

I fear I am overcompensating because of missing kronwall hits as we don't do that anymore, but having a UFA come that can protect our skilled players (of which i thought chiarot would be doing, he doesn't protect as much but he at least mucks it up a bit) would be helpful.

I like Maatta but someone on here made a comment that he shoots into shins all the time and now I can't unsee it when he is out there. Thanks a lot to whoever that was. Maybe we include maatta in a pettersson deal for him to be with hronek :sarcasm:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
fu*k it, add markstrom. (i actually wouldn't mind this but lezbreal)

Zadorov would be (if I am not mistaken) the guy that we lean on when we need a big hit to energize the team. Muck it up. Be DEFENSE FIRST (we need that right now) that can chip in points here and there. I am not looking for him to bring points, just to stop points against from happening. A pairing of him and chiarot just hitting people non-stop would be very interesting to see (kronwall/stuart? who is going to get the hit type thing?).

I fear I am overcompensating because of missing kronwall hits as we don't do that anymore, but having a UFA come that can protect our skilled players (of which i thought chiarot would be doing, he doesn't protect as much but he at least mucks it up a bit) would be helpful.

I like Maatta but someone on here made a comment that he shoots into shins all the time and now I can't unsee it when he is out there. Thanks a lot to whoever that was. Maybe we include maatta in a pettersson deal for him to be with hronek :sarcasm:
I don't think the Flames are willing to throw the towel in for the next 3 seasons by trading Markstrom. Lindholm, Zadarov, and Hanifin are all UFA after the season, so I can see them being dealt if they don't want to re-sign. Obviously, Zadorov isn't gonna re-sign if he's already asking for a trade.

They only have 2 defensemen signed for next season, so maybe they'll be interested in Maatta. We are talking about a team that started Oesterle 4 times this season.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Also, apparently on the main trade board, they are claiming he is closer to a top 4 than he is a 3rd pairing d. Some even said that he could get a first because of his unique skillset that most GM's want (pretty sure yzerman would be in this boat tbh). Not sure I'd go and slap a first on the table though if lindholm isn't a part of it in some way or another.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Also, apparently on the main trade board, they are claiming he is closer to a top 4 than he is a 3rd pairing d. Some even said that he could get a first because of his unique skillset that most GM's want (pretty sure yzerman would be in this boat tbh). Not sure I'd go and slap a first on the table though if lindholm isn't a part of it in some way or another.
Yeah, I said second. I'd throw a mid range prospect in, but not a first. I like his physical presence, but he's not enough to take this team over the top. Too early to go all in, and I don't see Stevie doing it ether. If the Wings trade for him, it has to be done with the intent of re-signing him.

I can see one of the teams closer to the top going all in for a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad