Zadina's first 9 games and burning an ELC year

How much production would Zadina need to have in his first 9 games to justify keeping him up?

• Total voters

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
It is looking increasingly likely if not a lock at this point that Zadina will be on the opening night roster barring a disastrous training camp. With the common consensus that he is NHL ready, many expect him to play a full season for his development case. But should he? With the wings prospect system suddenly loaded and possibly overflowing before the last of the bad contracts expire, is wasting a year of ELC salary and cap hit worth it in a season the Wings are probably finishing bottom 5-7ish anyways?

What production would you need to see to justify keeping him up opposed to sending him to GR?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Playing under 41 games will push his UFA age further by 1 year.

I would care more about that than this ELC thing.

Give him 40 NHL games + some in AHL + AHL playoffs. :)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You keep him up and shelter him until you feel confident he can hold his own. Give him lots of PP time. Who knows in 2019-20 he may be playing alongside Jack Hughes.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
As the pre-season teams will not play a full roster of NHL players, I think if you are going to decide on point totals, it needs to be high

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think 4-5 points would be enough but it all depends on how he looks. Is he getting murdered in puck battles? Can he survive defensively like, at all? Is he playing at an NHL pace, or merely getting points because he's good in scoring situations? I think overall if we are doubting his NHL readiness at all it makes sense to send him to AHL and watch how things go. If he isn't destroying that league, he might as well spend a year there.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Although we all see (and hope) Zadina is extremely dynamic offensively, I personally wouldn't use point total in just a 9 game sample size to determine whether or not I'd keep him on the roster. Point totals fluctuate in segments of games and no matter who you are there are ebbs and flows to production.

I wouldn't ignore the point totals by any means but I would be looking at how quickly he is processing the speed of the game, if he is physically able to hold is own and create space for himself, is he understanding and fitting into the systems and creating some chemistry with those around him etc.

Points are a difficult metric to judge a rookie on, especially in such a small sample size. So, to me, if Zadina is impressing in all other facets of the game but not putting up points in his first 9 games I'd be confident that the points would come and I'd keep him. So, I voted for <3 while looking the part

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think 4-5 points would be enough but it all depends on how he looks. Is he getting murdered in puck battles? Can he survive defensively like, at all? Is he playing at an NHL pace, or merely getting points because he's good in scoring situations? I think overall if we are doubting his NHL readiness at all it makes sense to send him to AHL and watch how things go. If he isn't destroying that league, he might as well spend a year there.

Yeah, I wouldn't get hung up on points, either. The guy could play great and just not get any bounces, we've seen it happen with guys before. Robataille had that one awful year with us where he couldn't buy a goal (as did Sheahan, heh). Flip and Hudler's first full seasons weren't incredibly productive but I don't doubt they were ready.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Don't care about the points, but I care about whether he looks like he can stay in the top 6 (I think he'd certainly play some 3rd line time, but I'd want him spending most of his time playing with and against better players). I don't think there's any value in having him play with Glendening on the 4th line.

I voted 6 points on the expectation that that's what the team would want to keep him up longer (though I don't think anything would rule him out of coming back up later and burning the ELC year anyway).

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm going to agree with the above and say that at least for me, points won't matter.

If he has 0 points in 9 games, but looks like he's keeping up with the pace of the NHL, getting solid chances, not making any glaring mistakes or getting absolutely dominated by NHL dmen, then I think he stays up the whole year. Maybe they let him go to the WJC in the winter.

I think the only way he doesn't stay is if he doesn't look ready, or some unknown/unexpected player really makes a case to dress for every game, like Svechnikov, Pope, Frk, etc.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He has the same problem with Svechnikov . I don't care how good he is , he needs to improve his skating . Brad Hall time gone

Tirekicker

Dec 30, 2017
He has the same problem with Svechnikov . I don't care how good he is , he needs to improve his skating . Brad Hall time gone

I'd like to see him improve his top-end speed. Beyond that, his skating is fine.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I'm going to agree with the above and say that at least for me, points won't matter.

If he has 0 points in 9 games, but looks like he's keeping up with the pace of the NHL, getting solid chances, not making any glaring mistakes or getting absolutely dominated by NHL dmen, then I think he stays up the whole year. Maybe they let him go to the WJC in the winter.

I think the only way he doesn't stay is if he doesn't look ready, or some unknown/unexpected player really makes a case to dress for every game, like Svechnikov, Pope, Frk, etc.

My main issue with that is it may turn into a confidence issue. Zadina knows he’s good, but he’s still a teenager. To think he’d be immune to it is naive

Reactions: lilidk

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
It could very well boil down to selling some tickets, IF Z is out most of the year, they may let zadina play just for the better bottom line, he would have to totally flop to be sent down imo. I don't think they send him down at all just to give the fans some excitement this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would put Zadina on the same plan as the guy he is often compared to in Pasternak. Let him stay down through the WJC and dominate the AHL. It also keeps him under the 40 games like Henkka eluded to more than likely.

On the flip side if he is demonstrably a NHL player during camp I am open to keeping him for the whole year. I am just not certain that is the best way for him to transition to pro hockey. It is hard to say without training camp and pre-season games to evaluate him what the decision should be. It isn't just points related for me, though certainly we don't want him having a goose egg at the NHL level for a super long-time. He is a scorer and a confident guy, I don't want to hurt that part of his game and makeup.

Reactions: mantha39 and Frk It

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
good for him to see what is NHL in couple games and then have big minutes at GR

Reactions: Grimm

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Purely as a greedy fan I'd love to see him on the big club all season (if he seems ready) so there would be something to be excited about.

More rationally it doesn't make a lot of sense to burn a UFA year and maybe even an ELC year on what will likely be a craptacular season (assuming Z retires). It'll be harder to see what he can do when the team will often be struggling just to get the puck out of their own end.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My main issue with that is it may turn into a confidence issue. Zadina knows he’s good, but he’s still a teenager. To think he’d be immune to it is naive

I think it depends on the person. From everything I’ve read about Zadina, I’m not that worried about him facing some early adversity personally. I’m fine with either route, playing in the AHL or NHL this year could both be good for his development.

You can get knocked down as long as you don’t stay down. I understand not everyone is Larkin, but I like how he is on the team because he should be able to speak to that with any future kids and guide them to push through the roadblocks.

Reactions: Winger98

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Zadina Not only needs to look the part, and look comfortable... He is also going to need at minimum 4 points if he is playing in the top 9. He is a big time offensive player. Lets be honest, if he cant score 0.5 PPG... he belongs in the AHL to start. If he looks good, and scores 4, id say he stays.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
0 because hes not starting on this team at the start of the year! You will be lucky to see him 6 times before the season is over.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
good for him to see what is NHL in couple games and then have big minutes at GR
Best answer. 8 games, if he somehow looks great then keep him. If not tear up the AHL and learn the professional way.

Also would prefer him to go up against AHL guys and put some weight on and not risk getting hurt against a big Z Chara or something for a useless bottom feeding season. Maybe I'm crazy...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Best answer. 8 games, if he somehow looks great then keep him. If not tear up the AHL and learn the professional way.

Also would prefer him to go up against AHL guys and put some weight on and not risk getting hurt against a big Z Chara or something for a useless bottom feeding season. Maybe I'm crazy...

The heavyweights in the AHL are actually less reliable in this regard in my opinion. It is a rougher league.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Zadina is producing in a top 6 role that likely means the Red Wings are winning hockey games. The only thing with keeping him up and burning a year is how he'll look in January. If he's still an impact player then that means he's one of the best rookies in the league.

Everyone that doesn't mind keeping him around the entire year has to be ok with the Red Wings likely pushing for a playoff spot. You can't have it both ways.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad