Zadina vs. Hughes

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by Killerjas, Oct 10, 2019.

1. decaguard

decaguard Registered User

ive always critiqued the zadina pick because i was fuming holland didnt pick his second favorite dman in the draft when we are in dire need of d and the d in that draft were said to be very deep at the top end . plus zadinas been weak besides displaying great hands and edges . but when i get over my drama i realize that i was no where near as strong and confident as a 19 year old as i was once i got to say 22 , nowhere near it and it was both physically and mentally . i became way physically and mentally harder at 22 . so im starting to see zadina as a teenager out there amongst big bad ass 28 year old men fighting to put dinner on the table , an enviroment that hes not ready to deal with yet . so ive put him on the back burner in my mind and hoping hes going to become a star top line offensive force when were ready to contend in 2021/22

2. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

I think this is what we're going to have to get okay with when we look at Zadina (and Rasmussen). They need some work, they are projects. We'll see them in a year or two, and hopefully they'll have taken advantage of their natural talents.

3. decaguard

decaguard Registered User

yes add razz to that because aint no way ive written that monster off . once he becomes fully grown , physically and mentally , adult its godzilla city

4. Dotter

Dotter life feels like a test I didn’t study for

Home Page:
    Tells me Yzerman was deferring to Hakan Andersson. Probably because Wright already had one foot out the door.

VelenoLikeAFeleno and Go Wings like this.
  5. Go Wings

Go Wings Registered User

Yah but I think it was more than that. They have established scouts in major junior especially the Q.

6. ChrisReevesLegs

ChrisReevesLegs Registered User

Electricians Apprentice
  7. NickH8

NickH8 Registered User

8. odin1981

odin1981 There can be only 1!

9. Rzombo4 prez

Rzombo4 prez Registered User

Yeah, I don't see how you get good value for him at this point unless you think he is going to totally crash and burn.

10. LeftWingLocked

LeftWingLocked Registered User

I don't think its baseless speculation at this point. Zadina was a huge disappointment in the preseason. He showed no passion and desire to make the team, he just seems to have a lazy attitude. Hopefully I'm wrong but his motivation needs to improve or he'll be out of the league quickly.

11. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    I kind of saw the exact opposite. Nothing wrong on his attitude. More of, he is taking everything too seriously and pressuring himself too much. Then everything goes out of hands. "I'm a goalscorer... have to score, have to... HAVE TO score... HAVE TO! HAVE TO !!!"

When people are forcing themselves, nothing good happens.

He should just relax. Look how easily his countryman Pastrnak scores. Zadina should get some summer training and mental help from him.

12. Pavels Dog

Pavels Dog Registered User

Zadina may not be living up to his #6OA status currently, but if he was a late 1st or a 2nd round pick no one would even be concerned at all.

You don't trade a guy this early just because he's not quite living up to what you hoped he would be. The question you need to ask is what do you think he could be in 3 years? In 5 years? In 10 years?

13. TatarTangle

TatarTangle Registered User

You forgot about everyone's crystal ball and expert scouting, Pavel.

14. izlez

izlez Michael Rasmussen does not exist

I don't know about that... seems like were not too far off from hearing a lot of concerns on Veleno if he doesn't get going soon.

As far as the McGuire thing, sounds like he's just talking just to talk with no real knowledge of anything. But, since I'm no fan of Zadina, I'd be all for trading him if we can find a team that is still high on him and gives us a good haul

15. 2xJack

2xJack Registered User

A key factor you left out is that while it is true he was the #6OA, he fell to #6. Pre-draft he was more like #3 or 4. A year and a half later that draft fall makes a ton of sense.

I'm split on this. One the one hand, I am ready to flip Zadina for something of value rather than watch him bust and get nothing out of it. All of the points made are true. This isn't Yzerman's guy, the whole staff responsible for the pick is gone, and he's underperforming. Giving him a fresh start someplace else may be a win-win.

On the other hand, Yzerman is accumulating high picks that haven't worked out for one reason or another. He's fishing, looking for the next Daniel Cleary type of reclamation success story. I like these low risk moves with upside.

My bottom line is, if Yzerman can get a first round pick in return for Zadina I say do it. Otherwise just ride it out because we're not giving up much return and it is another lottery ticket that we could get lucky with.

16. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    It ain't easy for his draftmates either. Only Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi and Quinn Hughes are current NHL regulars. And those five + Hayton have scored more points in NHL than Zadina.

17. Darkseider

Darkseider Almost as good as a Marvel reference

I'm surprised we haven't yet criticized GR's coaching. Chris Terry is having an amazing year as well as the guys on his line, and there's a lot of falloff after that. It seems like they haven't known what to do since Rasmussen went out. Their depth lines haven't worked beyond that point. They just let in 3 SH goals in a game, too, which does not exactly strike me as a well-oiled machine.

I guess Rasmussen is back as of 2 days ago? Hopefully things improve.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  18. MBH

MBH Registered User

And maybe Stevie wasn't so impressed with Wright's recommendations and history.

19. MBH

MBH Registered User

To me the one that got away was Dobson.
    6'4.
    Righthanded.
    Speedy.
    High IQ.

20. GunHavok

GunHavok Registered User

[​IMG]

There's always the 2021 draft. I can't really complain because I was very happy with getting Zadina and Veleno, not going to act like I was all over getting Hughes instead. I was also bigger on Dobson, but from rumors apparently we were going to take Bouchard? Oh well it happens, hopefully Zadina can turn it around.

lilidk likes this.
  21. Dotter

Dotter life feels like a test I didn’t study for

Home Page:
    Noah Dobson? Speedy?

Um, no.

Scouting report: eliteprospects.com (Curtis Joe)
    Scouting report: thehockeywriters.com

22. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

The few times I've seen Dobson I thought he skated well. He definitely didn't look slow out there.

23. nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome Registered User

What do ya know, of course, we used our highest 1st round pick in a long-time on a small Euro who's an inconsistent headcase. Guy's supposed to be a natural goal scorer and can't even figure it out in the AHL. Zadina hasn't looked good since the World Junior's in 2017 for christ sake. Hughes is a legit #1 dman so we yeah we shot ourselves in the front big time here.

24. BinCookin

BinCookin Registered User

For those thinking lets trade Zadina for a first round pick....

What kind of pick are you thinking of getting? Realistically. A 12th OA? 15th OA?
    What kind of player do you think we are going to get with that kind of a pick?
    I'll tell you what kind of player we won't find... a Zadina type.

Look Zadina is not Matthew Tkachuk, and he is not Mitch Marner.
    He may end up being simply a Tomas Tatar.
    This is all based on expectations being sky high... expecting him to be Marner. Well sorry everyone, looks like hes going to be more like a Tatar at this point.

25. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

Those are outdated... Simple as that, there is nothing wrong with Dobson's skating. Bouchard in that draft has those issues in terms of the touted guys.

I personally think he is the third best skating D-man in that draft behind Hughes and Dahlin. So a touch better than Boqvist, really probably have Merkley next to round out that top 5. But all five of those dude can fly in my opinion. First time I have ever seen this on him. Loved Dobson, had him at #5 on my board in that draft. One of the biggest reasons was he had a long beautiful stride that just kept getting better throughout his time in junior.