Zadina/Smith/Cholo & Pickard assigned to GR

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I keep hearing Cap savings but I would have thought pay is based on games, not days off. If he doesn't miss any Red Wings games, does it even save us anything? In fact, doesn't it cost extra for the Griffins?

Pay is a daily rate of them being on the roster if I recall correctly. So say there are 200 days (not accurate) in the season. Zadina's base is 832,500. So 832,500/200 = 4,162.50 per day on the roster.

This is really simplified. Escrow is taken out at a certain percentage as well. I don't know how many days in the league year. So it was more of an example on how it works and not indicative of actual cost savings.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Pay is a daily rate of them being on the roster if I recall correctly. So say there are 200 days (not accurate) in the season. Zadina's base is 832,500. So 832,500/200 = 4,162.50 per day on the roster.

This is really simplified. Escrow is taken out at a certain percentage as well. I don't know how many days in the league year. So it was more of an example on how it works and not indicative of actual cost savings.
Kinda sounds like bullshit from the player's perspective. Like you're making me work a full time job for your franchise PLUS loan me out part time to the AHL, while docking my full time pay despite me not really missing anything.

But I guess that's why you don't sign a 2 way contract unless you have to...

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Kinda sounds like bull**** from the player's perspective. Like you're making me work a full time job for your franchise PLUS loan me out part time to the AHL, while docking my full time pay despite me not really missing anything.

But I guess that's why you don't sign a 2 way contract unless you have to...

yeah, sounds pretty shitty for a player that obviously is full time nhl, but you take his money constantly just because you can.

Edit: actually, now that I think about it. Idk if it effects the players salary because they get game checks. These guys might be getting extra money by playing two games in the ahl due to the layoff.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
yeah, sounds pretty ****ty for a player that obviously is full time nhl, but you take his money constantly just because you can.

Edit: actually, now that I think about it. Idk if it effects the players salary because they get game checks. These guys might be getting extra money by playing two games in the ahl due to the layoff.

He did sign the contract.

He certainly isn't getting his 4k per day while being in the AHL.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
He did sign the contract.

He certainly isn't getting his 4k per day while being in the AHL.

Yes he DID sign the contract. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a kind of shitty loophole in the cba. Being forced to sign a 2-way contract. The possibility of being an every day nhl player But not getting the nhl money.

but I thought, on the players side, you took there salary and divide it by 82 and they get paid on a par game basis. If that’s the case, he’s just getting two ahl game checks when there was no nhl game check to be had. It’d be almost a bonus.

but I could be wrong. Might not be how it works.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Did that loser get suspended for that horrific boarding call! Also, man up GR, they just rode your star into the boards. Clean his clock!

I believe Turgeon nailed that player in the 3rd period to where that player ended up in our bench (door opened when he got hit). No suspension. Borderline clean hit.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes he DID sign the contract. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a kind of ****ty loophole in the cba. Being forced to sign a 2-way contract. The possibility of being an every day nhl player But not getting the nhl money.

but I thought, on the players side, you took there salary and divide it by 82 and they get paid on a par game basis. If that’s the case, he’s just getting two ahl game checks when there was no nhl game check to be had. It’d be almost a bonus.

Are you really worried about a player(s) who already gets way too much money for playing a game? Not like these guys are hard off, that have NHL contracts and play in the NHL. Minimum salary is 700,000 per year in the NHL, which is a lot of money. Not to mention most make way more than that, and will continue making more.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Are you really worried about a player(s) who already gets way too much money for playing a game? Not like these guys are hard off, that have NHL contracts and play in the NHL. Minimum salary is 700,000 per year in the NHL, which is a lot of money. Not to mention most make way more than that, and will continue making more.

Im not worried about it at all. Just pointing it out during the course of a conversation relevant to it. It has no impact on my life. But neither does anything on this entire website, so idk what to tell ya.

Edit: also, I disagree that they get “too much money.” They get paid an appropriate amount of money based on their market value. Supply and demand. You could argue they are underpaid if you look at the total percent they receive of all nhl revenue. But that could probably have its own thread on the main board. Again, just so you’re not confused, I have no emotional connection to this. Seems silly that I have to preface what I say with that.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yes he DID sign the contract. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a kind of ****ty loophole in the cba. Being forced to sign a 2-way contract. The possibility of being an every day nhl player But not getting the nhl money.

It's definitely based on a daily rate, same as how the cap accrues through the season.

If they got paid at a per game rate, the NHLPA would raise a stink for guys that get traded or waived midseason to a team that has less remaining games than the team they were on and miss out on a couple of game checks..... And then they'd probably be 100% ok with guys getting a little extra bonus going to a team with more games left than the team they came from.

From an old Hockey News article:

The first paycheck typically arrives in mid-October and the last one in mid-April, making for 13 pay periods throughout the season.

The first step is to calculate the player's daily rate of pay. This season there are 187 days for NHL players and 194 for those in the AHL. So, a player with a salary of $1 million in the NHL earns $5,347.59 per day before escrow while an AHL player with a salary of $50,000 will receive $257.73 per day.

Players in the minors are not subject to escrow even if they are on a one-way contract. Therefore, a player such as Denis Gauthier is actually making more money by being in the AHL than he would if he were in the NHL and subject to an escrow withholding of 9.5 percent.

Looks like it's a nice bonus for Pickard because he's on a one-way and has to pay into escrow at the NHL level. The other guys go back to their AHL daily rates.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
It's definitely based on a daily rate, same as how the cap accrues through the season.

If they got paid at a per game rate, the NHLPA would raise a stink for guys that get traded or waived midseason to a team that has less remaining games than the team they were on and miss out on a couple of game checks..... And then they'd probably be 100% ok with guys getting a little extra bonus going to a team with more games left than the team they came from.

From an old Hockey News article:

Looks like it's a nice bonus for Pickard because he's on a one-way and has to pay into escrow at the NHL level. The other guys go back to their AHL daily rates.

thanks for the info. As I said, I wasn’t sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad