Zadina probably starting out in GR

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
From the video,he seems disappointed but not discouraged.

Him saying its up to him now gives me a lot of confidence in his AHL tenure and future.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm disappointed... IN the organization. He should be on the team honestly I don't get it. You don't draft him really if you dont think he's capable of playing day 1.

Evan Bouchard should prolly be on this team right now if Zadina wasn't/isn't good enough to crack the lineup year 1.

Idk, also just about had it with Blashill and crew honestly. I get Ehn is young but wow... Ehn over Zadina for a checking role with Adelkader on a 2nd or 3rd line? Idk... really dumbing this team down imo.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm disappointed... IN the organization. He should be on the team honestly I don't get it. You don't draft him really if you dont think he's capable of playing day 1.

Evan Bouchard should prolly be on this team right now if Zadina wasn't/isn't good enough to crack the lineup year 1.

Idk, also just about had it with Blashill and crew honestly. I get Ehn is young but wow... Ehn over Zadina for a checking role with Adelkader on a 2nd or 3rd line? Idk... really dumbing this team down imo.

Zadina isn't ready for NHL-action. Not sure Ehn is but we'll see. His spot also won't be alongside Abdelkader...he'll play with Helm and Glendening on the 4th line. Even if Zadina was ready...you don't want him playing 4th line minutes on a losing team with crap linemates.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Yea they should've only been thinking about the 18-19 opening day roster when they picked this player.

Reactions: Filppula

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I'm sorry, but that's stupid.

Zadina has top 3OA talent. You don't pass on him because he won't play game 1 on a terrible hockey team in bottom 6 minutes. This has less to do with how good Zadina is and more with how bad overall the roster is. Zadina isn't ready to go and he'd be asked to take on a disproportionate role to his skill level to have the team be any good. Or, he'd be used as a bottom 6 grinder with Abby and Helm and Glendening, which I'm sure that everyone would just love.

I would take Filip Zadina about 100 times out of 10 over Evan Bouchard. Filip Zadina, with all things equal health wise, will have a far better career than Evan Bouchard.

I'm not at all disappointed in the organization. If fact, I'd have been disappointed the other way if they took him and plopped him in the NHL when he didn't show he was clearly ready in the pre-season.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Man, people are (obviously) still very high on Zadina and like bringing up the "top 3 talent" thing.

I'm going to be patient, but I'm really worried about the pick right now and can't help but compare him to Yakupov in the sense that if Yakupov fell to #6 when he was a "#1 talent", people would be losing their minds about what great value it was and there would be no way it wouldn't work.

He still would have been a bad pick if he fell to 6, and we should be evaluating Zadina based on his actual play and not his pre-draft rankings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Man, people are (obviously) still very high on Zadina and like bringing up the "top 3 talent" thing.

I'm going to be patient, but I'm really worried about the pick right now and can't help but compare him to Yakupov in the sense that if Yakupov fell to #6 when he was a "#1 talent", people would be losing their minds about what great value it was and there would be no way it wouldn't work.

He still would have been a bad pick if he fell to 6, and we should be evaluating Zadina based on his actual play and not his pre-draft rankings
You make it sound like he's already had a disappointing year.

As somebody already mentioned, it's typically only the borderline generational players that jump straight into NHL hockey and do well. So either Zadina struggles with the Wings, or first gets his feet under him in Grand Rapids.

Maybe he kills it in the AHL, and maybe he flops. I'd sooner bet on the former than the latter, but I'm definitely not chiseling my opinion in stone before he's played a single regular season game in ANY pro league.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I think some people are overreacting to Zadina getting sent to GR.
He's 18. Pretty rare for many players to jump in at that age.
Way to early to worry! The kids got some serious skill.
Watching him in person at T.C. training camp you could see the ability he has. And he seems to have a desire to be a "goal scorer"
Give him some games in GR and let's see what he can do.
If he plays a half a season down there and struggles, then maybe we can start to worry a little. But right now. No worries

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

He's like Yakupov in the sense that he plays winger.

If Zadina played 48 NHL games and scored 31 points this season I think everyone would be pleased, no one would say this guys going to bust like Yak did!

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
I've just looked through a list of Red Wings draft picks - Was Yzerman the last Red Wings player to make the team right out of the draft?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Except Yakupov probably would've been a pretty good player if Edmonton hadn't rushed him and given him stuff he clearly wasn't ready for...

Reactions: Hinterland

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I've just looked through a list of Red Wings draft picks - Was Yzerman the last Red Wings player to make the team right out of the draft?

I believe that is correct. Zetterberg didn't. Datsyuk didn't. Even players like them needed more time to develop. That's why there is no need to worry or complain.

Reactions: Hinterland

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Except Yakupov probably would've been a pretty good player if Edmonton hadn't rushed him and given him stuff he clearly wasn't ready for...
A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that he just isn't that smart in terms of hockey. Great physical skills, no hockey IQ.

I don't know. Never watched him much.
I believe that is correct. Zetterberg didn't. Datsyuk didn't. Even players like them needed more time to develop. That's why there is no need to worry or complain.
Obviously there's room for misremembering here, but people like Bowman and other Wings players during the 2002 camp claim to remember Datsyuk as something special right away. In interviews year after the fact, they say they saw his talent right then and there. Didn't show up right away, but they could tell he was special.

Obviously that's a HIGH bar, but Zadina didn't seem that special to me. But we'll see. I'm not worried about it yet.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't know what is better for Zadina. AHL is a man league , playing 10 minutes with the best or playing 15-20 minutes with target on his back. Playing 1 extra year with juniors or playing somewhere in Europe I think is better for him

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
And since I got the ball rolling, I might as well continue to pile on and get all my frustrations out now.

Can we talk about this play?

Ugly play by the defender, but he missed. Zadina barely got brushed. He stays down on the ice and goes to the locker room with the trainer. And surprise! He's completely fine and doesn't miss a shift. Just another red flag in my mind of a player I've been very disappointed in so far in this short time

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Holy overreactions. I guess the Leafs should have picked Hanifin instead of Marner cause Marner was weak and didn't look like an NHL player in his first NHL camp and was sent down?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
And since I got the ball rolling, I might as well continue to pile on and get all my frustrations out now.

Ugly play by the defender, but he missed. Zadina barely got brushed. He stays down on the ice and goes to the locker room with the trainer. And surprise! He's completely fine and doesn't miss a shift. Just another red flag in my mind of a player I've been very disappointed in so far in this short time

It looked like it was close to a knee on knee. This is looking for something to be disappointed in. The type of guy that avoids that hit is in his prime Datsyuk. And it's a pre-season game. I don't blame them being careful about the health of their top prospect.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don't know what is better for Zadina. AHL is a man league , playing 10 minutes with the best or playing 15-20 minutes with target on his back. Playing 1 extra year with juniors or playing somewhere in Europe I think is better for him

Being a top line guy in the A against men is best. His skill set would be wasted in 10 mins a night at LCA. If he's on the Wings, I want him top line or second line with big PP time.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Obviously there's room for misremembering here, but people like Bowman and other Wings players during the 2002 camp claim to remember Datsyuk as something special right away. In interviews year after the fact, they say they saw his talent right then and there. Didn't show up right away, but they could tell he was special.

Obviously that's a HIGH bar, but Zadina didn't seem that special to me. But we'll see. I'm not worried about it yet.
Datsyuk was like 22 at that time.. if Zadina doesn't look like anything special at 22, I'll worry.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It doesn't take much contact on your knee to make you feel off for a little bit.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Of everything you could've pointed out, this is what urks you?

Holy overreaction, Batman.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Datsyuk was like 22 at that time.. if Zadina doesn't look like anything special at 22, I'll worry.

Datsyuk was drafted in 1998. There were 4! years between his draft and that camp. To be remotely comparable... It would be 2022 by the time you could reach a judgment on Zadina.

So I agree with you PD, complaining about Zadina right now is lunacy, particularly in framing it in terms of Datsyuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->