Zadina probably starting out in GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do we have trouble with developing D though? We haven't drafted a D in the top 15 of a draft in my time as a Wings fan, that I can recall, which is nearly 30 years. Many teams have bad D draft records, because unless you get lucky, getting an awesome blueliner in the 2nd and beyond rounds is very hard. Being good for so long is a much overlooked reason why it looks like we can't develop D. Smith and Kindl are it, are they not, for 1st rounders and so we went 0 for 2 in the past many years, and that is par for the course when drafting players. Don't know the numbers, but most drafted players do not become awesome players, so getting really good ones is hard.

Drafting and developing is mostly luck, like we had getting Z and Pavs in ridiculous low rounds of 6 and 7, and sometimes you get a bunch of it, and sometimes you don't. Obviously some scouts are indeed better than others, as are coaches, but players developing into something prominent, is so much about luck. When developing, did the get hurt, have a coach that wrecked their confidence, have something bad happen in their family that affected performance, and so many other things that can affect how a player grows into anything of prominence.
Dekeyser. He's worse now than his rookie season. Smith could be another example, but you can't fix stupid.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Babcock ruined Jurco so bad he can't even play hockey anymore? Wow Mike. Does anyone think Babs purposely took a bat to Jurco's back? If so that'd be so messed up.

#BabcockRuinsPlayersThatsWhyHeNeverSucceedsAnywhereHeGoes

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Zadina's 2nd Griffins game after WJC...

.. and scores 2+1.

This is what we need. :)
So far he definitely seems to score in bunches - 10 goals on the season, and he's scored 2 goals per game 4 times. But yes, he can keep heating up and pushing for a call-up in the spring. :thumbu:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Easily his best game as a Griffin last night IMO... He was fabulous, best player on the ice. Let’s see if he can put back to back great games together tonight
Agree 100 percent. It’s funny how the goals come when you compete hard.

He definitely has the skill set. That was evident last night. Great game Zadina!

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Many people questioned Larkin's ability after his second year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Zadina is not NHL ready yet, hope next year he will, very happy for him score points yesterday, but it must continue

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Mostly just Montreal fans trying to justify the Kotkaniemi pick.

I had an eyebrow raised early. I wondered if he was worth the pick over some defense-men. He's looked good lately. Hopefully he keeps it up and makes the questioners look dumb. I don't want him to be a bad pick or anything.

Reactions: mantha39

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Only idiots did that

Not really, he was truly terrible for most of that season until he moved to center towards the end... In March iirc. That's when he showed some improvement.

If someone is an idiot for questioning the ability of a player performing terribly for most of a season, then I guess everyone is an idiot

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Not really, he was truly terrible for most of that season until he moved to center towards the end... In March iirc. That's when he showed some improvement.

If someone is an idiot for questioning the ability of a player performing terribly for most of a season, then I guess everyone is an idiot

Ya, idiot.

Reactions: TheMule93

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pronman's latest rankings of prospects outside from NHL.

Filip Zadina was ranked #4.

Pronman: 2018-19 midseason NHL prospects ranking

Filip Zadina, RW, Detroit
Previous ranking: 6
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 45
Hockey sense: 60
Shot Grade: 60

Zadina had a very disappointing world juniors, and while he’s been quite good in the AHL, he hasn’t been blowing doors down. There’s some reason for pessimism, he hasn’t been dancing around guys like he did last season and his compete level has worried me at times. But there’s still plenty of reason for optimism. He has a ton of talent, his skills are fantastic, he skates well, he’s got that cannon of a shot and, from what I’ve seen this season, his playmaking/vision is better than I thought last season. I still think he’s going to be a great NHL player but it may take more time than I initially thought.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How has he looked at the AHL level? Anyone actually get to see him play?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
How has he looked at the AHL level? Anyone actually get to see him play?

Struggled at the beginning of the season. Took awhile for him to adjust to the pro game. Once he got going, he was slowly improving. Either he does not score at all, or he scores 2 games in a game. Got 2 goals and an assist last week, but he was invisible the next game he played. He needs to start getting consistent with his overall play. One night he is the #1 star of the game, and the next night, you do not even notice he is playing.

Shows great offensive talent at times, but he needs to show more of that. Defensive side of his game is still a work in progress as his -12 shows, but he has improved lately in that area from when he first arrived in GR. A full season in GR will do Zadina a lot a good.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Struggled at the beginning of the season. Took awhile for him to adjust to the pro game. Once he got going, he was slowly improving. Either he does not score at all, or he scores 2 games in a game. Got 2 goals and an assist last week, but he was invisible the next game he played. He needs to start getting consistent with his overall play. One night he is the #1 star of the game, and the next night, you do not even notice he is playing.

Shows great offensive talent at times, but he needs to show more of that. Defensive side of his game is still a work in progress as his -12 shows, but he has improved lately in that area from when he first arrived in GR. A full season in GR will do Zadina a lot a good.

That part is concerning. Sounds like AA, or Nyquist and Tatar of a few years ago.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I’d be curious if there was any correlation to how many PP chances there are in these games where he looks great versus invisible.

To me, he looks like a completely different guy on the power play than he does 5 on 5 when I’ve seen him in GR (admittedly a small sample size). Looks way more comfortable, confident, and dangerous when he has that extra space out there. To Pronman’s point, I think he can cycle and pass better than he gets credit for. People on the prospect board make it sound like he just sits there and waits for someone to pass it to him and I think that’s a load of crap.

I’m sure it’s a broken record at this point, but he needs to find a way to improve his skating over the summer. I think for him that is the difference between him being a streaky PP dependent guy or an elite level winger as a pro player. That’s the X factor with him in my opinion.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

He was terrible after a great rookie season and?? Do you know how many players suffer a sophomore slump? It is a lot.

Look at Nathan MacKinnon's numbers in his 2nd season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He was terrible after a great rookie season and?? Do you know how many players suffer a sophomore slump? It is a lot.

Look at Nathan MacKinnon's numbers in his 2nd season.
38 in 64 is still near 50 point pace as a 19 year old.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
38 in 64 is still near 50 point pace as a 19 year old.

For the top pick in the draft after a 24 goal 63 point rookie season it isnt very good.

Again the point I am making is people need to give these young players times. Not everyone is ready right away or comes into the league and tears it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad