Rumor: Zadina for Brannstrom

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I have too much doubt there is anything behind this tweet to comment.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Raz?

Regula and Barton are 6'4" and 6'3", Stekov is 6'7". He did have an exception for PMDs, Cholo and Hronek aren't huge but most of his D picks were 6'2 - 6'4" range.

As for this trade, I'd do it. Then give him some ice time and try to flip him next season. Zadina and Brann both needs a change of scenery. Giving up a third line winger for a (potential) second pair D is a no brainer.
Holland did acquire all shapes and sizes, starting from Hicketts 5'8'' to Setkov 6'7''. Maybe i had some wrong choice of words, but Yzerman has definitely been more consistent than Kenny when it comes down to drafting/signing/trading d-men.

But the fact of the matter just is that Brännström doens't fit the bill, there's enough evidence how Yzerman wants to build his defense. Anything under 6'0'' are nothing but spare parts and warm bodies.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
We can’t trade Zadina now. He got a point on the power play. He’s the key to our new and improved PP

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I gotta say I really hate how Yzerman has the fanbase parroting his size queen stuff

That's how he has acted 100% in the past with DEFENCEMEN.

Please inform me when he will hire the first small-sized (under 6'0) NHL defenceman.

So far at Detroit he has:

Drafted Seider 6'3
Drafted Edvinsson 6'7
Drafted Buium 6'3
Traded for Staal 6'4
Traded for Leddy 6'0
Signed Oesterle 6'0
Promoted Lindström 6'2
If fine having DeKeyser 6'3 there
Signed Renouf 6'2
Signed Newpower 6'3

Only small-sized defenceman Yzerman has signed is Ryan Murphy to AHL Griffins. But that's AHL.

At Tampa it was:

- Traded for McDonagh 6'1
- Traded for Sergachev 6'3
- Signed Coburn 6'5
- Signed Luke Schenn 6'2
- Traded/signed for Rutta 6'2
- Traded for Cernak 6'4
- Drafted Foote 6'3
- Traded for Bogosian 6'3
- Signed Shattenkirk 6'0
- Already had Hedman 6'5
- Brisebois traded for Savard 6'2, but that kind of just repeating the Yzerman-way.
- Also drafted Andrej Sustr 6'7 who is now brought back by Brisebois

And he mostly traded small defecemen like Nikita Nesterov 5'11 and Tony DeAngelo 5'11 away.

Yzerman's actions are clear after big defencemen (and big goalies, like Bishop 6'7, Cossa 6'7, Lindbäck 6'6 and Vasilevskiy 6'3), but he doesn't mind having small skill fowards at all.

Tampa average size for Defence + Goalies was 6'3 at their Stanley Cup teams. Average was 5'11½ for forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No thanks on Brannstrom he's a 5'10" LD but can play RD Yzerman wants bigger Dmen and besides Zadina by himself is worth more then just Brannstrom alone Ottawa would need to add. Our smallest Dmen Hronek Johansson down the road are 6'0" that's the smallest Yzerman goes. Detroit has no use for Brannstron i like what we have in our pipeline better.

I'm quite sure we won't need LD who can play right anywhere, when the Right side is already just fine with RhDs Seider - Hronek - Lindström.

Think Florida could have some use for LhDs.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Holland did acquire all shapes and sizes, starting from Hicketts 5'8'' to Setkov 6'7''. Maybe i had some wrong choice of words, but Yzerman has definitely been more consistent than Kenny when it comes down to drafting/signing/trading d-men.

But the fact of the matter just is that Brännström doens't fit the bill, there's enough evidence how Yzerman wants to build his defense. Anything under 6'0'' are nothing but spare parts and warm bodies.
You guys are forgetting Stevie traded for Biega and signed Stecher. No doubt he prefers size, but he'll take whatever is available in a pinch.

I'd do the deal because I think it's easier to increase Brannstrom's value than it is to increase Zadina's value. Do the trade with the expectation of trading him when the prospects are NHL ready. The big issue is that he like to play the right side, and that side is already filled.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
You guys are forgetting Stevie traded for Biega and signed Stecher. No doubt he prefers size, but he'll take whatever is available in a pinch.
I didn't forget them.
Anything under 6'0'' are nothing but spare parts and warm bodies.
Biega, warm body
Stecher, spare part
Djoos, warm body
Murphy, AHL depth
Hicketts, AHL depth

So Stevie traded David Pope(now retired) for Biega, Stecher was a FA signing, Djoos was claimed from the waivers, Murphy was a FA signing, Hicketts was re-signed and originally he was also a FA signing. So Red Wings didn't lose any assets when Stevie acquired these d-men, unless you want count Pope as a asset.

Tampa era:
M-A Bergeron, spare part
Taormina, AHL depth
Nesterov
Strålman

Same thing in Tampa, Bergeron was a FA signing, Taormina was a FA signing, Nesterov a 5th round pick played 3,5 years in Tampa before getting traded and Strålman so far only d-man under 6'0'' who has played 5 full years in Yzerman's team. Again, only asset what Yzerman lost was a 5th round pick. But in return Yzerman did get a 6th round pick and a prospect(Jonathan Racine). Nesterov and Strålman seems to be only small d-men, Yzerman has given a real role.

When Yzerman has acquired a small d-man, only asset he has lost is a ECHL winger. Zadina plays in the NHL, Yzerman is not going to trade Zadina for undersized defenseman.

Reactions: jaster

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Seems pretty even to me but I'm higher on Bran than most. As mentioned before it doesn't seem to be a dman that Yzerman is interested in but who knows they might specifically like him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We need centers and top 6 forwards not more dmen.

That does not mean every current dman in the system will pan out but it is pretty clear we have 3 of a solid top 4 plus a solid bottom pairing guy in Seider, Edvinsson, Hronek and Lindstrom.

I'm certain 1 of wallinder, Johansen, buiim, sebrango, tumosito will pan out(apologize for spelling)

If we move Zadina do so for a young struggling young center and add a pick or prospect dman to the deal.

Do not trade for Branstrom

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
There's not going to be a lot of good matches for a guy you drafted so early, because you have such high hopes for him. But if this is the only offer out there, I don't believe it will get done as proposed.

I do have some interest in moving Zadina and I'm not patently against trading for a defender if that's what's out there and it's interesting; likewise, I wouldn't mind "rolling the dice"on Brannstrom (good point in comment above!), but Zadina, for all his sudden issues with production, has still been an every day player for us this season. Whereas Brannstrom isn't cracking the lineup in Ottawa for a reason we can't be sure about. Therefore, the value doesn't quite match.

I'm not so sure the Sens adding a mediocre or late future pick to the deal would even be preferable to simply offering Zadina another year on the Wings to sort it out and then possibly see what's going on at the TDL in 2023. Even though I do feel like he's a guy who needs a "change of scenery" if I've ever seen one.

On Brannstrom's size, if he was showing signs of the same promise he showed last season, then I think anyone would have to say that being undersized isn't a big deal for him. But if he's not even playing, then it doesn't matter what size he is, oversized or undersized. -Because then it feels like maybe he's more of a waiver case.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I didn't forget them.

Biega, warm body
Stecher, spare part
Djoos, warm body
Murphy, AHL depth
Hicketts, AHL depth

So Stevie traded David Pope(now retired) for Biega, Stecher was a FA signing, Djoos was claimed from the waivers, Murphy was a FA signing, Hicketts was re-signed and originally he was also a FA signing. So Red Wings didn't lose any assets when Stevie acquired these d-men, unless you want count Pope as a asset.

Tampa era:
M-A Bergeron, spare part
Taormina, AHL depth
Nesterov
Strålman

Same thing in Tampa, Bergeron was a FA signing, Taormina was a FA signing, Nesterov a 5th round pick played 3,5 years in Tampa before getting traded and Strålman so far only d-man under 6'0'' who has played 5 full years in Yzerman's team. Again, only asset what Yzerman lost was a 5th round pick. But in return Yzerman did get a 6th round pick and a prospect(Jonathan Racine). Nesterov and Strålman seems to be only small d-men, Yzerman has given a real role.

When Yzerman has acquired a small d-man, only asset he has lost is a ECHL winger. Zadina plays in the NHL, Yzerman is not going to trade Zadina for undersized defenseman.
It is worth noting that Yzerman was only with Tampa for 8 years and had high roster turnover in general. Stralman being a first pairing defenceman there for half of his tenure as GM is a perfect example of Yzerman being willing to give a smaller guy like Brannstrom a chance if the value works out. Sure, Yzerman has an obvious preference for large D. I still think that he's a "talent above all else" kind of guy. If he thinks that he can get Brannstrom at a good price, I'm certain he'll bring him in. I agree that Zadina is probably too much based on my evaluation, but Yzerman has also shown a willingness to move on from underperforming prospects/young NHLers. It's certainly not a trade that I'd find surprising.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
90% of this board:

"Brannstrom--too small!! no way!! Yzerman hates small defensemen!! We'll never trade for him."

(switch threads)

"Hronek's point totals are amaing!! He's so young!! He leads the team in ice time!! No way Yzerman trades him!!"

The difference is that Hronek is putting up points, and Brannstrom is struggling at NHL and AHL levels

Reactions: Henkka

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Stralman being a first pairing defenceman there for half of his tenure as GM is a perfect example of Yzerman being willing to give a smaller guy like Brannstrom a chance if the value works out.
But Strålman was the only one, Nesterov was traded in 3,5-years after arriving to the organization. DeAngelo was traded 2 years after he was drafted and he was a 1st round pick, DeAngelo didn't a play single game in Tampa. Rest of the small d-men in Tampa was spare parts and AHL depth, and pretty much none of the other drafted small d-men were never even signed.

But if the price is right, then it's whole different story. Yzerman got Djoos for free but back then Red Wings was tanking hard, now we are trending up. Yzerman traded Regula for Brendan Perlini, so i could see Yzerman using Holland-era late round picks to make a trade like this. Brattström for Brännström or Eliasson/Larsson for Brännström or John Adams for Brännström. If Ottawa declines then there's no point to make this trade, Brännström's trade value is negative.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Strålman was experiment to get rid of smaller guys. One of Yzerman's building process, Anton was more experienced than Hedman, and mentored him a bit. Handnesses were perfect, roles too. 5'11 RhD was ok with 6'5 Hedman, it's always the combination with the partner. Maybe 6'7 Edvinsson can carry 5'10 righty guy. Maybe. But also forwards have grown average size year-by-year.

Tampa didn't win anything with 5'11 Strålman or 6'0 Matt Carle, same time at defence. So Yzerman started going after bigger and bigger guys at every pair. Until every guy was over 6'0 and at least another guy in each pair 6'3, then the defence became a winner. It was a failure before.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Businessman. Buy low, sell high.
If you buy something you like the first time, you might not need to sell it.

Index funds. Hold forever. Leave the bullshit to "day traders" who will regale you wistfully with tales about that one year they beat the market.

But if we have to sell someday, then I suggest we buy the dip. And Zadina is worth what, a third round pick now? But Brattstrom has zero value.

Last edited:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If you buy something you like the first time, you might not need to sell it.

Index funds. Hold forever. Leave the bullshit to "day traders" who will regale you wistfully with tales about that one year they beat the market.

But if we have to sell someday, then I suggest we buy the dip. And Zadina is worth what, a third round pick now? But Brattstrom has zero value.
But i don't like Brännström, i like the possibility that we could turn it to something better. Brattström has zero value just like Brännström have zero value. Zero value player for zero value player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad