Zaddy Zads April Mock Draft

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My first mock draft. This turned out to be much harder than I thought but it was quite an interesting exercise. As you can probably tell I used the lottery simulator to determine the top3.

1. :cbj - Auston Matthews
No explanation needed.

2. :habs - Patrik Laine
No explanation needed.

3. :nucks - Jesse Puljujärvi
No explanation needed.

4. :leafs - Matthew Tkachuk
Tough choice, but like with Marner last year, the London connection is there. Safe bet.

5. :edmonton - Jakob Chychrun
Another tough one between Chychrun and Dubois but Chychrun has #1 potential.

6. :flames - Pierre-Luc Dubois
As an Oilers fan this pains me, Flames get a great player here.

7. :jets - Olli Juolevi
Jets are looking for an LHD, my bet is they rate Juolevi the highest of the remaining guys.

8. :coyotes - Jake Bean
First big reach. I personally wouldn't pick Bean there but some guys are very high on him and Coyotes need to bolster the blueline. They might shy away from the russian and go with Bean instead. I think Bean could flourish under the guidance of OEL.

9. :sabres - Mikhail Sergachyov
I know Sabres don't usually draft russians but they'll have to make an exception here. Sergachyov is the only top quality LHD left and he'd be a terrific addition.

10. :avs - Michael McLeod
Just a hunch but I'd imagine the Avs prefer McLeod over Nylander here.

11. :devils - Alex Nylander
Devils have perhaps the most skilled player in the draft, Alex Nylander, fall right into their lap and they can't say no to that.

12. :sens - Tyson Jost
Really tough one, chose between Jost, Gauthier, Brown and Keller here but at the end of the day I think Jost is the most likely candidate for the Sens here.

13. :canes - Julien Gauthier
Carolina get a big winger with a knack for scoring goals. Just what the doctor ordered.

14. :bruins - Charlie McAvoy
The Boston University defenseman helps bolster a weak Bruins blueline.

15. :wild - Clayton Keller
If Keller was slightly bigger he might be talked about as a top5 pick, as it stands Wild gets a potential future #1C in the middle of the 1st round, not bad.

16. :flyers - Max Jones
Just feels like a typical Flyers pick. They could use a blue-chip winger and Jones checks off all the boxes.

17. :wings - Dante Fabbro
Very tough. I have no idea who Detroit might target here but Fabbro would not be a bad choice, RHD and all that. Could see them going with Rubtsov or Brown too though.

18. :nashville - Riley Tufte
Big skilled winger, would fit nicely with the Preds.

19. :bolts - German Rubtsov
Tampa aren't afraid of russians and adding another centreman here would not be a bad idea.

20. :bruins (via SJ) - Logan Brown
The likely BPA here. He's big and skilled and would fit the current Bruins style of hockey.

21. :isles - Kieffer Bellows
With the likely loss of Okposo this summer getting another decently-sized goalscorer could prove useful.

22. :coyotes (via NYR) - Luke Kunin
The sniping forward would be a welcome addition in Arizona.

23. :canes (via LA) - Libor Hajek
Not flashy but just a very steady defenseman, with Hajek the Canes would have one of the most exciting young bluelines in the league.

24. :ducks2 - Tage Thompson
Don't know much about him but seems like a player the Ducks would target here.

25. :panthers - Nathan Bastian
Tough choice between Bastian, Howden and DeBrincat. Ultimately I think Bastian would fit the mold of the Panthers the best.

26. :jets (via CHI) - Jonathan Dahlén
Similar type pick to the Roslovic pick in last years draft. Dahlén is another skilled forward that would help transform the Jets offense into something very exciting in the near future.

27. :leafs (via PIT) - Lucas Johansen
Steady defenseman who I believe is just scratching the surface of his potential. Would be a great choice for the Leafs here.

28. :blues - Rasmus Asplund
All-around forward with a high floor. Just the type of player contending teams need.

29. :stars - Logan Stanley
I guess this doesn't make much sense since if the Stars pick would be this late the Flames would own it, but lets ignore that. Stars really like players with size and Stanley gives them plenty of that.

30. :caps - Brett Howden
Similar to the Asplund pick, just a good all-around forward that should be able to make it to the NHL in some capacity.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
23. :canes (via LA) - Libor Hajek
Not flashy but just a very steady defenseman, with Hajek the Canes would have one of the most exciting young bluelines in the league.

Uhh...we already have one of the most exciting young bluelines in the league...and a solid prospect pool on D.

I'd hope we'd take Thompson there...like Gauthier, he's exactly what we need.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Sergachev plays right side mostly on Windsor I believe though he is a lefty. I don't see Arizona passing on him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't mind the Jost choice. Its a tough call for me on

Jost, Keller, Brown.

I think Keller, but... who knows. Can make a case for/against any of them.

I would put Gauthier at the bottom of that group at this point

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That'll solve the buffalo problem since despite everyone who does a mock saying they know Murray won't draft a Russian here...they always give him one anyway.

Death.
Taxes.
No Russian with the Sabres top pick.

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
That'll solve the buffalo problem since despite everyone who does a mock saying they know Murray won't draft a Russian here...they always give him one anyway.

Death.
Taxes.
No Russian with the Sabres top pick.

mikhail_grigorenko_buffalo.jpg

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah he traded him and the other Russian out of town as soon as he could when he got the job. Timmy no likey.

MPStoEberletoHall*

If the Oilers walk out of the draft with any of Matthews, Laine, Pujularvi or Chychrun that would make me a happy man

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The team who picks Dubois wins the draft. Everyone who fails to pick him given the chance has made a serious mistake. Picking 1st OA, I think I'd probably take Dubois. I'd take him 2nd 100x/100. Laine would be a GREAT consolation prize. After him it's Sergachev and Tkachuk. Matthews may in fact be slightly overrated. Chychrun will bust like Bogosian.

Luc Dubois to Winnipeg = unstoppable dynasty.

:popcorn:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
tkachuk = barf.

It's not what I would do but I'm just trying to predict what might happen here. Considering they took Marner over Hanifin/Provorov due to the London connection last year I can see Leafs management taking Tkachuk over Chychrun/Dubois. He's ranked right around that spot too so it's not like it would be a reach. Tkachuk is a great prospect but I understand your reaction, I don't want Tkachuk if the Oilers pick in that spot either :laugh:

MPStoEberletoHall*

The team who picks Dubois wins the draft. Everyone who fails to pick him given the chance has made a serious mistake. Picking 1st OA, I think I'd probably take Dubois. I'd take him 2nd 100x/100. Laine would be a GREAT consolation prize. After him it's Sergachev and Tkachuk. Matthews may in fact be slightly overrated. Chychrun will bust like Bogosian.

Luc Dubois to Winnipeg = unstoppable dynasty.

:popcorn:

I hope this is a joke :laugh:

Pretty ironic that you say this since you're team has a pretty good shot at drafting him since he will most likely go in the 4-7 range

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
It's not what I would do but I'm just trying to predict what might happen here. Considering they took Marner over Hanifin/Provorov due to the London connection last year I can see Leafs management taking Tkachuk over Chychrun/Dubois. He's ranked right around that spot too so it's not like it would be a reach. Tkachuk is a great prospect but I understand your reaction, I don't want Tkachuk if the Oilers pick in that spot either :laugh:

200_s.gif

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I personally guarantee that the Leafs will not draft Tkachuk 4th overall.

I won't go as far as personally guaranteeing it, but I really can't see it happening either. He's just too average of a skater, and not quite dynamic enough for me to think Hunter would take him at 4th overall. Dubois and Chychrun look like more viable options imho.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I hate how people keep saying Hunter will go by his London bias. Yes he took Marner last year. He took him because he fit all the criteria they are looking for in the draft. Skill, Skating ability and hockey IQ. He was the guy that had the most star potential and game breaking ability not because of a homer bias.

Hunter is a professional. There is a reason he has run a successful franchise and he is going to do what's best for the Leafs. If he picks Tkachuk its beceause he believes he's BPA. Personally i would give the edge to Dubois and Chychrun if its close based on skating ability but i would not be upset if we ended up with Tkachuk. He is a good player and would compliment our top 6 well

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I hate how people keep saying Hunter will go by his London bias. Yes he took Marner last year. He took him because he fit all the criteria they are looking for in the draft. Skill, Skating ability and hockey IQ. He was the guy that had the most star potential and game breaking ability not because of a homer bias.

Hunter is a professional. There is a reason he has run a successful franchise and he is going to do what's best for the Leafs. If he picks Tkachuk its beceause he believes he's BPA. Personally i would give the edge to Dubois and Chychrun if its close based on skating ability but i would not be upset if we ended up with Tkachuk. He is a good player and would compliment our top 6 well

Yeah, people should really start giving Hunter more credit than that, to think he has tunnel vision for London players is becoming a big time joke.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yeah, people should really start giving Hunter more credit than that, to think he has tunnel vision for London players is becoming a big time joke.

That's not at all what I meant but it helps having a guy you know more intimately when you're making your draft selection. You can't really afford to make a mistake with a top pick so any additional information you might have on a kid obviously helps. And in my mind Tkachuk is nothing to sneeze at, he's still ranked top5 on most lists and a terrific prospect in his own right. Having spent an entire season on a line with Marner and produced big time probably doesn't hurt either...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad