Line Combos: Zack Smith's place in the lineup.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
While nobody was watching, he actually had a monster end to the season:

32gp 16g 25p +13

Mike Hoffman in the same timeframe:

32gp 7g 20p -7

I also did some advanced sats analysis for Zack Smith over here.

Based on that analysis I think Zack Smith should be given a chance at top 6 and powerplay to start the season.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
While nobody was watching, he actually had a monster end to the season:

32gp 16g 25p +13

Mike Hoffman in the same timeframe:

32gp 7g 20p -7

I also did some advanced sats analysis for Zack Smith over here.

Based on that analysis I think Zack Smith should be given a chance at top 6 and powerplay to start the season.

Cameron got fired buddy.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He won't be given that role again. Nor will he have a shooting percentage like that again for that length of time. Career year that he won't come close to repeating again.

I'd put money on him becoming a 4th liner before putting money on him becoming a top 6er.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
3rd line LW.

The above stats are called playing with Mark Stone.

But if he plays that well with Mark Stone shouldn't you consider playing him with Stone again? Especially if his production grows that much, and if someone else on that line would keep constant production no matter where they play.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
One thing with Zack Smith... He knows where to go and he has the strenght and fight to go to the areas you need to go to in order to score goals. He isn't fancy, he isn't the best offensive player, but he puts himself in position to score goals and it's all that matters.

I'd love seing the Pageau, Smith and Stone line again, that way we could roll 3 lines against pretty much any line in the league. However, we'd need to add another RW to do that.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
After he starts the season cold, he'll end up right back where he usually is.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
But if he plays that well with Mark Stone shouldn't you consider playing him with Stone again? Especially if his production grows that much, and if someone else on that line would keep constant production no matter where they play.

I'd rather put the glass slipper on somebody who is already hot than hope that the slipper makes a troll hot.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He won't be given that role again. Nor will he have a shooting percentage like that again for that length of time. Career year that he won't come close to repeating again.

I'd put money on him becoming a 4th liner before putting money on him becoming a top 6er.

After he starts the season cold, he'll end up right back where he usually is.

Glass half full **** right here.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
3rd line lw ,or 2nd line lw or pp net front presense.He is a solid player to have in the top 9 if he can pot 15 to 20 again i would be happy to see the team resign him

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Third line LW.
this for me as well...

EDIT: I'd say something like this...?

[table="head;width=500]LW|C|RW
Mike Hoffman|Kyle Turris|Mark Stone
Clarke MacArthur|Derick Brassard|Bobby Ryan
Zack Smith|Jean-Gabriel Pageau|Curtis Lazar
Nick Paul/Matt Puempel|Chris Kelly|Chris Neil
Nick Paul/Matt Puempel|Ryan Dzingle|[/table]

[table="head;width=500]LD|RD
Mark Methot|Erik Karlsson
Dion Phaneuf|Cody Ceci
Chris Wideman|Mark Borowiecki
Mike Kostka|[/table]

[table="head;width=500]G|
Craig Anderson
Andrew Hammond
[/table]

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
People need to stop with the shooting % on this guy ,and look at where he scores most of his goals from .He is a net front player that bangs in rebounds and garbage from right in front of the net .He should be getting more PP time next season ,if only just to provide a screen and tie up defenders in front .Iam pretty much down with resigning him ,he adds some grit to the top 9 as well :nod:

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
I'd be ok with Smith in the top six if he was a complement to players who make those around them better. Players like Stone and Turris.

Smith - Turris - Ryan?

Smith - Brassard - Stone?

Some combo that allows us to drop the more talented MacArthur to the 3rd line so we have a chance at competing with elite Eastern teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Washington. We have far less a chance at that if our 3rd line is the mediocre 'Smith-Pageau-Lazar' trio.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'd be ok with Smith in the top six if he was a complement to players who make those around them better. Players like Stone and Turris.

Smith - Turris - Ryan?

Smith - Brassard - Stone?

Some combo that allows us to drop the more talented MacArthur to the 3rd line so we have a chance at competing with elite Eastern teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Washington. We have far less a chance at that if our 3rd line is the mediocre 'Smith-Pageau-Lazar' trio.
I dont know if he plays in the top 6 full time ,but he should be used in certain situations .Like the PP as a screen or to try and spark a cold line

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
People need to stop with the shooting % on this guy ,and look at where he scores most of his goals from .He is a net front player that bangs in rebounds and garbage from right in front of the net .He should be getting more PP time next season ,if only just to provide a screen and tie up defenders in front .Iam pretty much down with resigning him ,he adds some grit to the top 9 as well :nod:

Oh yeah, none of his goals came off great feeds from the team's best forward. But if they did, we should totally handicap said forward by playing him on the third line throughout the year! And hey, screw statistical evidence and just how rare ANYONE shooting over 20% in this league is, especially if it suggests a player I like isn't as good as I think he is or that his recent very productive season was anomaly when compaed to the vast majority of his work, am I right? :sarcasm:

Smith is a seviceable player. But thinking that at 28 and over 400 games into his NHL career he's going to now be a 20+ goal scorer on a regular basis, well, it's a bit of a stretch.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Based on Mac being concussion symptoms free, right?

Mac was good to go last year but they played it safe since we didn't have a chance at making the playoffs.

So yes, I am operating under the assumption that Mac is not going to have concussion issues going forward.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Oh yeah, none of his goals came off great feeds from the team's best forward. But if they did, we should totally handicap said forward by playing him on the third line throughout the year! And hey, screw statistical evidence and just how rare ANYONE shooting over 20% in this league is, especially if it suggests a player I like isn't as good as I think he is or that his recent very productive season was anomaly when compaed to the vast majority of his work, am I right? :sarcasm:

Smith is a seviceable player. But thinking that at 28 and over 400 games into his NHL career he's going to now be a 20+ goal scorer on a regular basis, well, it's a bit of a stretch.
Jesus dude ,you really need to look at most players throughout the history of the nhl that have created offense the exact same way Smith did last season.He played within his limits ,and scored from in front of the net .Played the role of garbage man to a tee,his shooting % is so high because of where he scored his goals.And also getting the opportunity ,to play with better players .

Dismissing him outright is pretty foolish on your part ,no reason for him not play the exact same way as he did last season.And no reason for the team not to use him in offensive situations either.He provides some grit in the top 9 and best of all a will to get to the front of the net :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad