Zack Smith's awesomeness cannot be denied

RedSeven*

Overated slash the coaches boyfriend.

He would be lucky to lick Chris Kelly's shoes.

He scored great, but he also took a stupid penalty so basically he did nothing. I mean even greening scored this game.

The guy is on pace for a whopping 15 points this season coming into todays game. A third line centre needs to be WAYYYYYY more productive.

OVERATED.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Overated slash the coaches boyfriend.

He would be lucky to lick Chris Kelly's shoes.

He scored great, but he also took a stupid penalty so basically he did nothing. I mean even greening scored this game.

The guy is on pace for a whopping 15 points this season coming into todays game. A third line centre needs to be WAYYYYYY more productive.

OVERATED.

On the plus side he's improving by leaps and bounds. After just one more game he's now on pace for 20 points. ;)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
although he got over his softmore slump,he will never be as great as his 11-12 season form.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
When he's skating he's as valuable as any bottom 6 grinder in the league.

When he's not skating, he's just an average 4th line checker.

Tonight he was the former.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
When he's skating he's as valuable as any bottom 6 grinder in the league.

When he's not skating, he's just an average 4th line checker.

Tonight he was the former.

Pretty much this.

When he's flyin and just throwing his body around, he's awesome.

When he tries to be a skilled player and use his brain too much he gets in trouble due to the lack of hockey IQ.

RedSeven*

How old are you guys? Did you guys ever watch Chris Kelly play? He was a REAL Third line Centre.

This guy. 4th liner Centre. Maybe if he starts producing on some points. He had a good first half a season 2 years ago and that was it.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
How old are you guys? Did you guys ever watch Chris Kelly play? He was a REAL Third line Centre.

This guy. 4th liner Centre. Maybe if he starts producing on some points. He had a good first half a season 2 years ago and that was it.

Chris Kelly was a smarter player, but Smith has physical attributes Kelly could only dream of. They are both great 3rd line C's in different ways.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

It took a little while for Kelly to develop into what he is today... you make it seem as though it was an instant third line center.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Smith and Neil are 4th liners and should be used as such. Send Grant down and make Pageau our 3rd liner. Pageau would get 30 plus pts playing on the 3rd line.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Three cheers for Smitty!! I mean he almost ****ing cost us the game with a ****ing bonehead play BUT then he totally redeems himself with huge key goal!!!! :yo:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
At his peak he could be a mike fisher

I don’t think so, he just doesn’t have the speed and the hustle or the stats. Fisher is more of a 2nd/3rd line tweener, while Smith is a 3rd/4th line tweener.

However, he can still be an effective 3rd line centre. Only a few years ago he looked like he will cross the 20 goal mark, which is still possible if he keeps on playing the way he has been in the past 5-10 games.

A bit of a bonehead at times, but I think he is finally making a niche for himself.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Pretty much this.

When he's flyin and just throwing his body around, he's awesome.

When he tries to be a skilled player and use his brain too much he gets in trouble due to the lack of hockey IQ.

He is actually a very smart player. It doesn't show when he is playing with Neil, however.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Smith's offensive potential is being stymied because he doesn't get to play with offensive players. Look at when he was playing on the top line last year with Alfie and Michalek (IIRC). He had points in 7 of 8 games (again, IIRC) and really made that line work again.

He has all the attributes to be a decent offensive forward. Great at carrying the puck, good skating, high compete level, great shot and decent passing. He's also physical and good defensively his hard forecheck and boardwork opens up space for his linemates. I still think he'd be great on the top line with Spezza.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan could work wonders IMO. They all play at about the same speed and you have Ryan/Smith working the boards and creating shots while Spezza has more space because Ryan is dangerous and Smith is running around.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra

Make it happen Mac.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I think Smith's offensive potential is being stymied because he doesn't get to play with offensive players. Look at when he was playing on the top line last year with Alfie and Michalek (IIRC). He had points in 7 of 8 games (again, IIRC) and really made that line work again.

He has all the attributes to be a decent offensive forward. Great at carrying the puck, good skating, high compete level, great shot and decent passing. He's also physical and good defensively his hard forecheck and boardwork opens up space for his linemates. I still think he'd be great on the top line with Spezza.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan could work wonders IMO. They all play at about the same speed and you have Ryan/Smith working the boards and creating shots while Spezza has more space because Ryan is dangerous and Smith is running around.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra

Make it happen Mac.

Can we just put zibby and smith on spezzas wings and leave the turris line alone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->