News Article: Zack Smith fined for diving/embellishment

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I don't remember what game but there was a definite dive/embellishment that drew a penalty and he's been "embellishing" things quite a bit this year. Hopefully the fine makes him stop as it's embarrassing.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
They're all out to get us!

paranoid.jpg

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't remember what game but there was a definite dive/embellishment that drew a penalty and he's been "embellishing" things quite a bit this year. Hopefully the fine makes him stop as it's embarrassing.

I agree, but there are players on every team doing this very thing every night. I don't mind if Smith played the system and got us a PP.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but good on him for doing what it takes to give us an advantage.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Cameron should sit him for a game or season.

What? Smith has been awesome.

On pace for 19 goals, 24 points with strong two-way play and a physical bent to his game. What more can you ask from a guy who makes under 2 million and has spent the majority of his ice time on the 4th line beside Neil?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What? Smith has been awesome.

On pace for 19 goals, 24 points with strong two-way play and a physical bent to his game. What more can you ask from a guy who makes under 2 million and has spent the majority of his ice time on the 4th line beside Neil?

He's fine as a 4th line player. "Strong two way play" is a massive exaggeration. He takes a lot of shifts off, and he has an unreasonably hugh shooting percentage atm, i wont be surprised if he finishes with under 10 goals. I'd rather he just disappear if Cameron is going to continue to roll him in the top 6. He only hurts us in that role.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He's fine as a 4th line player. "Strong two way play" is a massive exaggeration. He takes a lot of shifts off, and he has an unreasonably hugh shooting percentage atm, i wont be surprised if he finishes with under 10 goals. I'd rather he just disappear if Cameron is going to continue to roll him in the top 6. He only hurts us in that role.

This.

SO

MUCH

THIS!!

He's been quite good in his 4th line role but he should be nowhere near the top line. He still floats out there too much for a player with his limited skills.

Put the guy on the 4th line or trade him. No place for Zack Smith in a top 6 role.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Smith is a bit of a dope.

He plays better on emotion but it makes him do stupid things after the whistle and now this.

Oh well.

Jorec

Mar 4, 2011
Literally every team has players who embellish/dive every game. If the league actually gave a **** about it, they'd be handing these things out like candy instead of as if they were some rare lapse in player actions.

I guess what I'm saying is lol who cares.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The NHL is so inconsistent. With there inconsistent suspensions and now their inconsistent fines.

Not saying that Smith didn't deserve the fine (he did), i am just saying that there should be more than just 2 fines this season. I have seen a lot of dives already this season go unpunished.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
The NHL is so inconsistent. With there inconsistent suspensions and now their inconsistent fines.

Not saying that Smith didn't deserve the fine (he did), i am just saying that there should be more than just 2 fines this season. I have seen a lot of dives already this season go unpunished.

I really don't see it as a dive, maybe thats just me, I think out of all the dives I see I find it funny that they determine that to be a clear cut one...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I really don't see it as a dive, maybe thats just me, I think out of all the dives I see I find it funny that they determine that to be a clear cut one...

If the NHL deems this to be a fining offense I have no problem with Smith being fined. The inconsistency is ridiculous though as you see these every game.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
I've seen blatant dives almost every game and never see fines handed out.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
If the NHL deems this to be a fining offense I have no problem with Smith being fined. The inconsistency is ridiculous though as you see these every game.

agreed. With that said, I really don't see that as a clear cut dive. i re-watched a few times. He doesn't look for the ref, doesn't stay down forever, they did get tangled up...idk....what am I missing?

Go one step further...any penalty like a hit from behind, etc that could result in an injury (as opposed to a delay or too many men), fine the player... that will clean up the BS quick....i am semi-kidding

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you're a 3rd or 4th liner, the NHL likes to use you as an example.

That goes for suspensions and now this.

Sometimes it'll work in our favour, sometimes it won't.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

A player getting fined has 0 impact on my or my day. I would like to see diving cut down though so it would be nice for it to be applied more broadly and consistently.

Otherwise I'm all for the sens taking their chances and diving more. Who cares about a few 2000$ fines when it gets you PP's?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
whats the average cost per goal on player contracts?

im sure 2000$ is worth a PP.

Example

Ovechkin makes 10,000,000 in actual dollars this year, he is expected to score 50 goals.

--------------

he gets paid $200,000 per goal.

interesting way to look at it, of course other things players get paid for(assists, hits, takeaways, etc)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

So true. No one really cares about this, but it's frustrating when other players continuously get away with it, but Smith gets dinged. Just strange...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad