Zack Smith extension?? Yay or nay??

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
This will be an interesting case because I think its mutually beneficial for both sides to agree to a handshake deal but not sign it until after the Vegas draft.

Assuming Smith wants to stay here, that way you help the team protect someone like Dzingel, and ensure that you are getting to stay here rather than sign with Ottawa and get moved to Vegas.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Zack Smith is becoming a key part of the core. As good as Dzingle has been, if there was a choice to sign one I will sign Smith without hesitation.

Dzingel is younger and cheaper. Keeping Smith would be nice, but I don't think it's gonna happen if he is looking for high dollars.

I'd like to keep both, but I don't know if the budget allows it. I'd rather be able to keep Stone, Karlsson, and Turris in the coming few years.

Smith is earning $2.35M in salary this year. I wonder if Smith would be interested in a deal where his cap hit isn't above $4M but his salary slowly increases each year, like his current one, where he starts around $3M but goes up to like $5M by the end?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Smith is earning $2.35M in salary this year. I wonder if Smith would be interested in a deal where his cap hit isn't above $4M but his salary slowly increases each year, like his current one, where he starts around $3M but goes up to like $5M by the end?

you are asking for trouble with a contract structured that way in my opinion. UFAs tend to get overpaid, to back load a contract likely results in the money being at its highest while productivity is at its lowest. It makes the contract unmovable and makes the player a huge target for the fan base and media.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Would imagine both the team and player agree to a deal that works for both prior to expansion draft as speculated and sign after words....he has really come into his own and should be a force over the next few seasons, 100% yay for me

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Can be quite the jokester too:

From Ken Warren:

Zack Smith on the Senators season opening 5-4 win over Toronto. "Yeah, there's one thing that sticks out about it. But that was pre-Kanata Wall, the wall he now has to come through."

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You either leave as a free agent a hero or sign a big enough contract that you become the villain.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Smith is worth a fair amount more than 3 million per.
I don't think so. I don't want to lock up players to any more bad contracts. Give him term but don't break the bank. 3-3.2 x 4 is fair. Anymore and he becomes expected to consistently produce at his best. Give him more money and maybe he thinks he's a scorer a la Clarkson.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Smith has done nothing but improve every year. Like Hoffman, he's proven himself over and over again. Thank god that last GM isn't pissing players like Alfie off any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad