Zack Smith extension?? Yay or nay??

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Smith scored 25 last year. All the usual advanced stats noise.....unsustainable shooting percentage blah blah blah. He is at this point tracking favourably to score 20 + this year. So long as he remains where he is with Brassard and Stone that seems pretty likely.

So, if that happens, you are looking at a player coming off back to back 20 + goal seasons, that is big bodied, can play a physical game, fight as needed, can play both PK and PP etc.

Just looking around the league at comparables, Belesky signed for 3.8M over 5 years and his numbers were not near as good as Smith's. Belesky parlayed one 22 goal season into that contract and promptly reverted to form and put up 15 last year and has all of 2 this year

Clutterbuck signed a 5 year deal @ 3.5 starting next year and although I am using him as a comparable, they aren't really comparable as hockey players. Smith is a much better player.

Personally, I think that if Smith continues on his path and puts up another 20 goal season, we are looking at a contract in the 5 * 5 range. He's indicated a preference to stay here so maybe there is a bit of a hometown discount, but I think this is the kind of money he is looking at. If Smith puts up the 20, I'd be shocked if he signs anywhere for less than 4 * 4.5.

handslikefeet

Jan 10, 2017
Smith scored 25 last year. All the usual advanced stats noise.....unsustainable shooting percentage blah blah blah. He is at this point tracking favourably to score 20 + this year. So long as he remains where he is with Brassard and Stone that seems pretty likely.

So, if that happens, you are looking at a player coming off back to back 20 + goal seasons, that is big bodied, can play a physical game, fight as needed, can play both PK and PP etc.

Just looking around the league at comparables, Belesky signed for 3.8M over 5 years and his numbers were not near as good as Smith's. Belesky parlayed one 22 goal season into that contract and promptly reverted to form and put up 15 last year and has all of 2 this year

Clutterbuck signed a 5 year deal @ 3.5 starting next year and although I am using him as a comparable, they aren't really comparable as hockey players. Smith is a much better player.

Personally, I think that if Smith continues on his path and puts up another 20 goal season, we are looking at a contract in the 5 * 5 range. He's indicated a preference to stay here so maybe there is a bit of a hometown discount, but I think this is the kind of money he is looking at. If Smith puts up the 20, I'd be shocked if he signs anywhere for less than 4 * 4.5.

Dear god I hope not.. I see his value at 3.5-4/yr as stated above but 4.5-5 is getting aggressive.

Then again Radko Gudas somehow got 4yr/$13.4mil so what do I know

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's playing well in a contract year.

I've never been the biggest Zack Smith supporter but he does possess a skill set the rest of the team is lacking.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
He's playing well in a contract year.

I've never been the biggest Zack Smith supporter but he does possess a skill set the rest of the team is lacking.

Yep, IMO it is one of those situations where you just need to pay to keep him around. We're not talking about a 7 million dollar deal here (granted overpaying is overpaying) but this is a deal that should get done.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yep that would be a disaster.

Smith is one of my favourite players on the Sens. He has reportedly (by Mendes IIRC, or at least on 1200) said that he is just looking for fair money, and doesn't want to be burdened by a massive contract to live up to (maybe some Ryan-situation influence there? haha). I think something around 3-3.5 x 3-4 years will be good. He's the kind of guy that you can get to sign a lower dollar figure by giving more term.

I have no issue with management wanting to see how the season plays out before committing the money. Although it seems like he is heating up playing with Stone...shocker!

That's encouraging. It's a fact that most players are appealed by the opportunity of earning a lot of money but most of the time it becomes pretty hard to "live up to that contract" because it's impossible to be at your best all the time and not expect injuries or adversity... Bobby Ryan is the latest example on the Sens. If Bobby had a 5.75-6.0 cap hit, I think people wouldn't be as hard on him but it is what it is. The NHL is a market that pays a lot so if you have the opportunity to cash in you go for it and live with the consequences.

Look at the following list for example. If you check only the 27-28 y/o and older (UFA status), there is actually more players who don't "live up" to the contract rather than players who do. Hence why overpaid players are more common than people think and why bashing on Ryan so much isn't fair and rational at all. Every team has 1-5 of those guys. Sens are always under the average, because they are more budget conscious and take less risks (despite what this board seem to think lol)

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2017/caphit/all/all/all/desc/2

Hopefully Smith signs a 10 millions $ contract for 3 years, 3.33 AAV (like Brassard in fact)

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Don't give him more than 3 years. He won't be very productive after that. He might still be an effective checker in his 30s though, but not worth the 3M+ he will command.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The way Smith is playing right now is probably his offensive peak, but he's always been a very handy player even before he started scoring 20 goals a season. He brings jam that the Sens lack big time in their top 9, and can do a bit of everything.

All Smith has done is play well on any line, with an ever revolving door of players.

Unless he wants a crazy contract, I think the Sens gotta sign this guy.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You guys are nuts if you think he'd take a short (3 years) deal at 3.33 a year. His minimum asking price will be 3.75 x at least 4. Why? He's a proven 20 goal guy (hey, he's done it) and he's a good checker/hard hitter, has some of the toughness Ottawa needs seems to have chemistry with Pageau and Stone etc. etc. etc.

Good luck with under 3.75 - it ain't happening. I actually think he can easily hold out for 4 or even 4.25 in this NHL where suddenly 60 points is near elite.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Why? I think he'll be looking at the same type of numbers as Clutterbuck.

Clutterbuck has 18G the last two seasons
Smith has 34G the last two seasons

Smith will have more then double the goal production by seasons end

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, the good news is if Smith is looking for around 4 mil for 4 years, we should have no issues trading him at the deadline for a nice return...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You sure Ottawa doesn't need him more than another team?

We need somebody, but no him specifically. If MacArthur comes back (we should have a good idea by the time the trade deadline roles around) that will help out. We have Hoffman and Dzingel at LW, potentially MacArthur. There are various UFA LW out there for 2017; Versteeg, Kunitz, Vanek, Stafford, heck we could re-sign Michalek on the cheap.

At 4 mil per year, I think I'd rather downgrade the 3rd LW spot (potentially 4th LW depending on MacArthur) and upgrade elsewhere.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im still baffled at whenever someone brings up MacArthur in discussions. IMO he's one more big hit away from retirement. I'd love for him to come back and play/contribute 3+ years but we should be realistic with our approach towards him.

Yes, he may help this year but Smith entering his Prime and is such a useful player to have. I can't believe you even mentioned Michalek LMFAO (hi Bonk). Smith provides a different skillset from those you mentioned except maybe Kunitz.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Im still baffled at whenever someone brings up MacArthur in discussions. IMO he's one more big hit away from retirement. I'd love for him to come back and play/contribute 3+ years but we should be realistic with our approach towards him.

Yes, he may help this year but Smith entering his Prime and is such a useful player to have. I can't believe you even mentioned Michalek LMFAO (hi Bonk). Smith provides a different skillset from those you mentioned except maybe Kunitz.

Ya I see Mac as a lovely bonus if he returns and is an effective player. Planning on having Mac in the top 6 at the beginning of the year is what got us into this thin-forward-depth situation to begin with.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Again, the point isn't to replace Smith, but rather to fill the 3rd line LW position. We have Hoffman and Dzingel who can fill our top 6 LW positions. Do we need Smith at 4 mil to play 3rd line (or as we're doing now, Hoffman)?

So, we have the option of pay Smith ~4 mil, and have great depth on LW, or move him, and sign a more cost effective 3rd liner, and use the difference elsewhere.

As for Smith entering his prime, not really. He's 28 years old, not 25. Yes, thanks in no small part to Stone, he's putting up his best numbers, but his next contract is more likely to be the start of his decline than his prime (though obviously not a guarantee).

As to your feelings about MacArthur, like I said, we'll know more by the deadline. In the end though, if he's a right off, we've got extra 4.7 mil to allocate, and I wouldn't do it on Smith. If he's a productive player, that's one less spot for Smith. Either way, whatever we find out regarding MacArthur impacts Smith.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Again, the point isn't to replace Smith, but rather to fill the 3rd line LW position. We have Hoffman and Dzingel who can fill our top 6 LW positions. Do we need Smith at 4 mil to play 3rd line (or as we're doing now, Hoffman)?

So, we have the option of pay Smith ~4 mil, and have great depth on LW, or move him, and sign a more cost effective 3rd liner, and use the difference elsewhere.

As for Smith entering his prime, not really. He's 28 years old, not 25. Yes, thanks in no small part to Stone, he's putting up his best numbers, but his next contract is more likely to be the start of his decline than his prime (though obviously not a guarantee).

As to your feelings about MacArthur, like I said, we'll know more by the deadline. In the end though, if he's a right off, we've got extra 4.7 mil to allocate, and I wouldn't do it on Smith. If he's a productive player, that's one less spot for Smith. Either way, whatever we find out regarding MacArthur impacts Smith.

One thing to think about: say we don't re-sign Smith. Will the 3rd line replacement we get be as good as Smith at jumping up into the top 6 in a pinch due to line shuffling or injuries? He might be (Stone effect), but we KNOW Smith plays great there already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad