Zack Smith back from the waiver edition

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The only top 6 centre they have is Duchene & others have stated they should not play together but be separated to drive their own lines. So which is it? IMO once they decide Brown is ready to bring up then I would play him with Stone giving Stone a top line centre. Spezza had Heatley & Alfredsson on his wings for a few yrs so I'm not sure what that means. Sometimes you have to spread the wealth to make the team as a whole better but there is also something to be said for putting all your best players together. I think in due time they will have enough very good players which Ottawa should be able to ice three good lines.
I was referring to Spezzas last few years with miscast guys like Greening, Butler, etc.

I'm not saying it can be fixed right now, just taking issue with the Stone can carry anyone theme awe see a lot. Id actually prefer to see what he can do with players more equipped to contribute offensively rather than carrying guys like Smith and Pageau to 20g 20a numbers, feels like a missed opportunity. I also disagree with the philosophy of splitting up Duchene and him, id like to see them together more often and piece the rest together the best you can.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was referring to Spezzas last few years with miscast guys like Greening, Butler, etc.

I'm not saying it can be fixed right now, just taking issue with the Stone can carry anyone theme awe see a lot. Id actually prefer to see what he can do with players more equipped to contribute offensively rather than carrying guys like Smith and Pageau to 20g 20a numbers, feels like a missed opportunity. I also disagree with the philosophy of splitting up Duchene and him, id like to see them together more often and piece the rest together the best you can.
In Spezza's last yrs here the team sucked hence he was moved out & they didn't have the talent to put with him although Greening had a pretty good season on his left side. We all have opinions as to how the team can perform better, which lineups are better ecetera which is why we are passionate fans. It must be a lot harder to just bring in the best players you can whenever you need to as we seem to think it is or every team would be doing it. What I like about this team is the potential of their young players, they may never be as good as we hope but they really seem like an upgrade to what we have seen here last yr. I would really like to turn the page from last yr's team & start creating a new identity with this new team & new players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
In Spezza's last yrs here the team sucked hence he was moved out & they didn't have the talent to put with him although Greening had a pretty good season on his left side. We all have opinions as to how the team can perform better, which lineups are better ecetera which is why we are passionate fans. It must be a lot harder to just bring in the best players you can whenever you need to as we seem to think it is or every team would be doing it. What I like about this team is the potential of their young players, they may never be as good as we hope but they really seem like an upgrade to what we have seen here last yr. I would really like to turn the page from last yr's team & start creating a new identity with this new team & new players.
I was just saying, we all seem resigned to view Stone as this guy to carry others in roles they obviously can't sustain on their own, so just imagine how good a guy like Stone could look with players of more similar offensive ability. Hypothetically speaking, in a bubble of Stone's world, he could be doing so much more with more qualified players if we had them for him to play with. Not just trying to hate on Smith, but he's obviously not a good 2nd line center, thats not the role he's meant for and im sure even he would agree.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was just saying, we all seem resigned to view Stone as this guy to carry others in roles they obviously can't sustain on their own, so just imagine how good a guy like Stone could look with players of more similar offensive ability. Hypothetically speaking, in a bubble of Stone's world, he could be doing so much more with more qualified players if we had them for him to play with. Not just trying to hate on Smith, but he's obviously not a good 2nd line center, thats not the role he's meant for and im sure even he would agree.
Agreed but I think every team is in that same boat, if the Islanders would have surrounded Tavares with better players they would have won the cup. But you also need a great defence corps & outstanding goaltending & hope that you are injury free when the playoffs come around.

The problem is there are not enough elite players around & every team only has a couple of them, some teams get lucky winning the draft lottery, or a very good player falls into their lap (Tavares & the Leafs) or someone unexpected becomes a star like Stone. I think though soon with the crop of prospects Ottawa has they should be able to put three very good lines together although they will be young maybe as soon as next season. Of course, that also depends on Stone & Duchene staying.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Since he’s so good in the dressing room and so useless on the ice

Can we dress him as the back up goalie and let Anderson heal properly?

I need medication to watch him play nowadays

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
But guys if Zack Smith is traded Matt Duchene will be so upset he won't sign an extension with Ottawa.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He is somehow even worse this season.

I had hoped we'd put him back on a line with Stone this year, and we'd be able to pump-n-dump him at the deadline.

He was actually playing not-terribly to start the season, and I was optimistic that we'd be able to move him at the deadline for a mid round pick (5th rounder or whatever), but since the beginning of December he's just been ultra-bad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
both arent good at the nhl level at this point
Hard to say has never really been given a consistent chance. He is a 6'5 23 year old considering big forwards like him are almost never done developing at this age id rather they actually play him. He has ripped up the AHL since he went down.

Hertl and Zibanejad are still improving and breaking out at 25 years old. Why cant Paul continue to improve? Dzingel didnt even come to the AHL until he was 23.

Reactions: Icelevel

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
both arent good at the nhl level at this point

I think this is fair enough.

However two points.
1) Paul is currently at least as good as Smith.
2) There is still a good chance that Paul improves; it's all downhill with Smith from here.

Smith sucks and our GM needs to find a way to get rid of him.

Reactions: RaMai

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Can't wait until they trade Stone and name one of our outstanding AC's (Boro or Smith) to the captaincy.

Melnyk's Sens!!!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With no Duchene and possibly no Stone in the lineup.. I expect Boucher to move Smith up the lineup and increase his icetime in all situations

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
With no Duchene and possibly no Stone in the lineup.. I expect Boucher to move Smith up the lineup and increase his icetime in all situations
And with the first (or second, or third , fourth) pick in the 2020 NHL entry Draft, the Ottawa senators are proud to select, les Senateurs d'ottawa sont fiers de choisir...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad