Zack Smith back from the waiver edition

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m pretty sure Smitty will be dealt by game 30. Dorion put him through waivers to make him more valuable. Paired with Stone and Tkachuk he’ll produce at least .6 PPG.

The first kid to excel in Belleville will get the call up. I’m guessing Chlapy.
They will need to take money back on any trade .. and it won't be a good player

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Even if he has a bounce back year?
the op said by game 30. By game 30 I do not see much changing on that front.

If he gets 35+ pts maybe there will be some interest next year. If he's trending there by the TDL .. he'll have 2 more years at 3.25 .. hard to say, but I would guess they would not get a late pick for him straight up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
the op said by game 30. By game 30 I do not see much changing on that front.

If he gets 35+ pts maybe there will be some interest next year. If he's trending there by the TDL .. he'll have 2 more years at 3.25 .. hard to say, but I would guess they would not get a late pick for him straight up.

Granted it was by game 59, but Eaves managed a very strong market for a UFA without much of a history to support it and that was after a similarly disappointing season to what Smith just had.

30 games might not be enough, and 3 years remaining makes taking a risk a bit tougher but I think if Smith shows last year being an aberration, people will be willing to take on his contract. At 3.25, if he proves to be a gritty 3rd liner that can win faceoffs and chip in 30-35 pts, teams will be intrigued. If he's put up 20 pts by the 30 game mark, I think teams will see him as a decent option, though most teams aren't shopping at game 30 so that was an odd mark to set.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Granted it was by game 59, but Eaves managed a very strong market for a UFA without much of a history to support it and that was after a similarly disappointing season to what Smith just had.

30 games might not be enough, and 3 years remaining makes taking a risk a bit tougher but I think if Smith shows last year being an aberration, people will be willing to take on his contract. At 3.25, if he proves to be a gritty 3rd liner that can win faceoffs and chip in 30-35 pts, teams will be intrigued. If he's put up 20 pts by the 30 game mark, I think teams will see him as a decent option, though most teams aren't shopping at game 30 so that was an odd mark to set.

I thought a team would want him for free. I thought they could move him at the TDL last year .. I was wrong both times... so I am likely wrong again but I am trying to learn

Reactions: Micklebot

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
His best season ever is 0.45.

Him producing at 0.6 would be great, but I wouldn't expect it.

His contract isn't changing, that's the reason teams don't want him, to go along with him not being an effective NHLer for the past 20 months.

I think the .6 PPG mark is the high mark for Smith but with the ice time and his line mates it should be possible.

In Smittys career year he played with Pageau (and Stone). Tkachuk is much more dynamic than Pags, so I would expect a better result from everyone else.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
They will need to take money back on any trade .. and it won't be a good player

There's also a good chance that player is an IR casualty and never plays a game in a Sens uniform.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Management already tipped their hand by waiving him, they don't see a spot for him here moving forward.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I must say that I'm more than a little disappointed to see that Zach Smith is still somehow playing second line center for us..

I don't mind the guy on the team, but there are simple solutions to getting him out of the top 9 (as a center) that we are not doing for some reason.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Feel sorry for you Smitty,. but way to much money for you, not enough of anything....really. Trim the FAT. Way to go sens management....Keep shaving the excess.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
I liked him. He was pretty valuable for us from time to time. It's a shame he's declined as he has, dealing him would make sense.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bonas dios from Barcelona, what the hell has happened in the last few weeks?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bonas dios from Barcelona, what the hell has happened in the last few weeks?

Smith was put on waivers out of nowhere, Dorion said it was performance related (total BS of course) and Duchene expressed frustration about Smith getting put on waivers.

Sens played decent for the last two pre-season games and people are bit more hopeful.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Feel sorry for you Smitty,. but way to much money for you, not enough of anything....really. Trim the FAT. Way to go sens management....Keep shaving the excess.

That fat is wearing the A tomorrow.

Can we update the title that assistant camptain Smith is back from his waiver adventure?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure Smith will be staying right until Pageau comes back in the new year. When Pageau is back they won't want to pay both and they'll trade Smith. Probably hoping he has a good start to the season to generate interest.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

People forget Smith was already named an alternate captain last season following the Turris trade. Phaneuf wore one full time, with Smith and Stone alternating road and home games. When Phaneuf was traded it was an alternating rotation of Stone/Smith/Duchene depending on who all was injured, which was pretty well always the case.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO the Sens need Smith in the lineup with so many young guys especially in the faceoff circle with Pageau out for the yr. When Pageau returns he has only one yr left on his contract & could be a more valuable piece to trade than Smith IMO. Ottawa has plenty of good young players coming that can replace either Pageau or Smith but Ottawa could use Smith's rough playing style a little more & he can play LW or centre.

If they keep Smith with Stone than I think he will be fine & again get a number of points but when he plays a defensive role his scoring diminishes. He's a guy that can be moved around where needed the most & he is very good at faceoffs, PK & defensively, a hard guy to play against. I can see him eventually replaced soon but I would trade Pageau first since I think they can get a better return for him & don't really need him any more.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm pretty sure Smith will be staying right until Pageau comes back in the new year. When Pageau is back they won't want to pay both and they'll trade Smith. Probably hoping he has a good start to the season to generate interest.
I think they're both gone in the next year or two. They won't re-up Pageau for the relatively big ufa deal he could get after next season and they obviously want to move on from Smith regardless.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
IMO the Sens need Smith in the lineup with so many young guys especially in the faceoff circle with Pageau out for the yr. When Pageau returns he has only one yr left on his contract & could be a more valuable piece to trade than Smith IMO. Ottawa has plenty of good young players coming that can replace either Pageau or Smith but Ottawa could use Smith's rough playing style a little more & he can play LW or centre.

If they keep Smith with Stone than I think he will be fine & again get a number of points but when he plays a defensive role his scoring diminishes. He's a guy that can be moved around where needed the most & he is very good at faceoffs, PK & defensively, a hard guy to play against. I can see him eventually replaced soon but I would trade Pageau first since I think they can get a better return for him & don't really need him any more.
Do we ever want to consider giving Stone top line players to play with or are we just always going to ask him to play with the Smith's and Pageau's so their point total is respectable? Feels like Spezza all over again. Give the guy a real top 6 center!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Do we ever want to consider giving Stone top line players to play with or are we just always going to ask him to play with the Smith's and Pageau's so their point total is respectable? Feels like Spezza all over again. Give the guy a real top 6 center!
The only top 6 centre they have is Duchene & others have stated they should not play together but be separated to drive their own lines. So which is it? IMO once they decide Brown is ready to bring up then I would play him with Stone giving Stone a top line centre. Spezza had Heatley & Alfredsson on his wings for a few yrs so I'm not sure what that means. Sometimes you have to spread the wealth to make the team as a whole better but there is also something to be said for putting all your best players together. I think in due time they will have enough very good players which Ottawa should be able to ice three good lines.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It really depends on which Smith shows up. 17-18 Smith was awful, but if he plays the way he can play, he can earn his contract without a doubt.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It really depends on which Smith shows up. 17-18 Smith was awful, but if he plays the way he can play, he can earn his contract without a doubt.
Don't get me wrong though, I think they have replacements in mind for Smith & a few others. While I like it when he plays with Stone I think he will eventually be replaced, maybe not this yr but soon on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad